PDA

View Full Version : Breaking out of a slump

davidross
09-10-2002, 08:28 AM
After 3 weeks off hell that saw me lose 15 sessions out of 21 I think I have broken out of my slump. I have won 5 of my last 6 sessions. I'd like to thank everyone who offered advice and support during the slump.

What worked for me? Playing extremely tight, at one level below where I had been playing. For me that meant no baby pairs in early or middle position, No Axs in early or middle position and no limping with KT, or QT after other limpers. I only played them first in for a raise. I tightened up in the blinds considerably too. I have only had one big win playing this way, but solid 1-2 BB/hr wins the other nights seem to have me back on track.

If you're running bad, listen to what the posters here tell you, it will turn around.

mdlm
09-10-2002, 01:48 PM
DavidRoss,

Congratulations on working through your slump.

You should be open to the possibility that this was all just randomness. E.g., you go through a two standard deviation decline, since you are a good player you will revert to your (winning) mean, you post asking for advice, you get advice, you follow advice, you revert to the mean like you would've anyways, and you thank the people who gave you advice. ;)

davidross
09-10-2002, 02:54 PM
I think there is a high probability that what you say is true. I did a lot of reviewing of my play (big advantage of on-line play) and I don't think I was playing badly, but probably a little loose. So my variance was a little high and I took some dreadful beats.

I think by tightening up and playing a lower limit I gave myself a higher probablility of winning sessions and my confidence is coming back. I had a very good session last night, where I was reading hands well and making good plays. I think it's good advice to someone in a slump to simplify until you get righted.

eMarkM
09-10-2002, 03:00 PM
So will we be seeing you again soon at the PP 5/10? I think it's wise moving down in limit to re-group. You just end up playing with scared money with a limited B/R and you don't want to be weak-tight at the higher PP limits. You want to be able to fling some chips around and be aggressive.

I've basically followed the same path as you with PP. Worked a $100 buyin playing 1/2 into a legitmate B/R for 5/10 by moving up in limits when I had about 200BB to cover the next move up. If I ever get far below that threshold I'll move back down. Haven't hit a prolonged slump yet, but I want to be prepared to move down in limits when--not if--it happens. You'll know it's happened to me if you see playing 3/6 again, hope to not see you there soon /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

davidross
09-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi Mark,

I think it will be a while before you see me at 5/10. I crashed right through my 3/6 threshold and am recovering in 2/4 right now. I hope to be playing 3/6 shortly, but unless I have a great run I'll be a few months. I do hope to stay out of your way when we meet again.