PDA

View Full Version : Need Strategic opinion about a custom 7-Stud game

happyjaypee
09-10-2002, 08:00 AM
There is a bunch of Vietnames running a stud game in there restaurant after buisness hours in my area. It is difficult to get into that game, u need to be invited. Fortunatly, i got to know one of them in my Wednesday night NL hold'em game and got invited.

But they changed the rules a lot and I need some advises.

Rules:

-Ante: 1$
-Spread limit 1$-3$ on every street except 7th were the limit is spread 1$-5$
-The HIGHEST card pays the bring-in (1$)
-It is FORBIDEN TO CHECK... u ether put 1$ in the pot or fold when it's ur turn to act.
-A WILD CARD is randomly determined by cutting the deck before each hand. (I HATE wild card...)
-Every time a player get an open wild, he as to put 1$ in the pot before the betting round.
-One last thing. The seventh Street is face up.

I'll agree whit you, those rules sucks...

Positives aspects:

-Players are clueless about basic poker strategie, let alone 7-stud.
-Everyone buy-in for at least 100$ (lots of dead money!)
-There basic strategie is to chase wild cards. (They sometimes bang the table when cards are dealt "for luck"...)
-Some of them barely looks at other players board. I've seen a player call on the end whit a hand that could'nt beat is opponent board!

Negative aspects:

-The Ante structure is to high comparing to the limits, making tight play very expensive.
-Wild cards... (Again, i hate wild card... Thought i was trought playing whit them when i learned hold'em.)
-The Fact that you CAN'T check.
-A legitimate raise won't cut down the field. There is a showdown 99% of the time, mostly multiway.

I usually destroy the game i play. It's 0,25$/0,50$ NL hold'em, once or twice a week. Every player only buy-in for 20$ (sometimes re-buy) and i managed to be over 1,887$ in the last 10 months. U get the picture. However, i'm a 24years old student whit a lots of scholarship debts and a limited bankroll. I usually pay monthly fees like Phone bills or rent whit my winning. I've also been playing on-line for the last 4 months and won a cool 1,750$ since i started, mostly playing tourneys and NL or PL Hold'em. I KNOW I'm a better player that those guys but I can't suffer the Bankroll variation excpected to learn how to beat there game the hard way...

I'm also afraid there rules might fit there playing style and prevent a good player from beating it. (I'm refering to the "EVALUATING THE STRUCTURE AND ADJUSTING TO IT" section of chapter-25 in "The Theory Of Poker", page 258.) There style of play may no get them the money but it surly can prevent me from getting it...

Thx

(BTW, forgive the quality of my english. I'm french Canadian. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif )

09-10-2002, 09:14 AM
If you are a tight aggressive, solid, strategic player, which it sounds like you are, this game may actually not be very rewarding for you. The ante structure and the bigger limit on the river heavily favor pursuing longshot draws. Combine that with the fact that many players won't fold, and the structure doesn't let you bet enough to drive them out or make them badly wrong in calling and you will be playing against multiple opponents many times. I'm sure you can beat this game over time, but maybe not for that much -- the structure is just too favorable to loose and clueless play, IMHO.

The Prince
09-10-2002, 10:29 AM
What's this, you don't trust what I told you on the Quebec-Poker Forum?

Just kidding... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

happyjaypee
09-10-2002, 04:59 PM
lol Hi Nic!

Just wanted second opinion. Don't be mad. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Cya

09-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Yikes! This game is crazier than O/8.

A few observations....
Obviously, don't bluff much, if at all.
Focus on reading the other players.
Study up on your math...this is a game of pot odds.
Position will be key, since you can't check-raise. The high hand has to bet and if you're late compared to him, your drawing hands are worsth more.
Something like 20% of all starting hands contain a wild card. Even with the high ante there aren't many hands you can play without a wild card.
Look to be drawing to the best hand (or have others drawing to a worse hand than the one you've made). Having the best hand now isn't worth that much.

The Prince
09-11-2002, 11:18 AM
No problem.

Welcome to 2+2 and what I said at the other forum still stands.

Good luck,

John Gaspar
09-11-2002, 08:49 PM
This type of game rewards those who play badly. I think it is much tougher to put people on hands as well because of the wild card. No check raising doesn't allow you to clear the field either.

That being said, I would give the game a try so that you can get a feel for what is winning and more importantly what people call with. You will then know what type of starting hands you need to play as well as those that you must throw away .

Bon chance.