PDA

View Full Version : Moss to be traded

Edge34
02-23-2005, 05:50 PM
The Minneapolis Star Tribune has reported that Randy Moss is going to be traded to the Oakland Raiders for LB Napoleon Harris, the 7th overall pick in this year's draft, and a lower round pick.

If that's the case, I'm sad to see him go. Say what you want about his antics like the fake mooning, but trading the guy who's arguably the NFL's best receiver (Second best at the very least) and is at the top of his career...that just doesn't seem like a smart move. That is, unless you're getting a TON of defensive help in return, which it looks like the Purple are.

Bye Randy... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

At least he'll fit right in out in the Bay Area.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I find it hard to believe that anything like this could take place while the team's ownership is still up in the air, as well as with Fowler's recent comments regarding the issue. Of course, I take those comments with a grain of salt, but still...

wh1t3bread
02-23-2005, 05:52 PM
I would have much rather seen him come to the Jets for John "my knee has a boo-boo" Abraham.

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 05:54 PM
"but trading the guy who's arguably the NFL's best receiver "

What's there to argue?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I really don't know how I feel about the Vikes trading Moss, but if they do trade him, they better get an assload for him. I'm thinking something along the lines of a shutdown CB or other dominant defensive presence along with at least two draft picks, one high enough to get Braylon Edwards and the other in the top half of the 2nd round. Also, I hope it's to the AFC.

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have much rather seen him come to the Jets for John "my knee has a boo-boo" Abraham.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that was a much better deal for the Vikes, don't you think? They've got to get a difference maker on defense along with the draft pick. I don't think Harris fits the bill.

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 05:57 PM
If Ricky Williams was worth the entire Saints draft, then Moss might be worth everything of value on the Raiders roster plus their draft.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 05:57 PM
TO vs. Randy...I can't make that call. People dog Randy for his whole "I play when I wanna play still", and TO just blew it UP in the Super Bowl.

I think Randy's marginally better, but its DAMN close.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Ricky Williams was worth the entire Saints draft, then Moss might be worth everything of value on the Raiders roster plus their draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Patrick,

The Raiders are probably my 3rd favorite team in the league - I would've much rather seen this deal include Philip Buchanon than Napoleon Harris.

If the Vikes really are trading Randy away, they must feel pretty good with Marcus Robinson, Kelly Campbell, and Nate Burleson, but you just can't replace a guy like Randy...

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
"but its DAMN close"

I really disagree. Heck, coming into this season TO wasn't even in the discussion, clearly behind Harrison and Holt. TO is a great player for his generation. Moss is an all-time great who totally changes the game.

wh1t3bread
02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that was a much better deal for the Vikes, don't you think? They've got to get a difference maker on defense along with the draft pick. I don't think Harris fits the bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harris definitely doesnt fit the bill. Udeze and Abraham would have been some pash rush for the Vikes next year. Now they are banking on draft picks.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I'll believe it when I see it on VikingUpdate or when the deal is done and it's the top story on every ESPN show, although I don't think I'll be watching ESPN until Monday now that [censored] golf is bumping ATH and PTI until then.

wuwei
02-23-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Minneapolis Star Tribune has reported that Randy Moss is going to be traded to the Oakland Raiders for LB Napoleon Harris, the 7th overall pick in this year's draft, and a lower round pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a sick joke.

wh1t3bread
02-23-2005, 06:02 PM
How bout cnnsi:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/02/23/moss/index.html

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"but its DAMN close"

I really disagree. Heck, coming into this season TO wasn't even in the discussion, clearly behind Harrison and Holt. TO is a great player for his generation. Moss is an all-time great who totally changes the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Behind Holt? I don't believe that was ever the case. And I don't see how coming into this season is relevant. This season did happen and TO is certainly in the discussion now.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:03 PM
You're probably right Clark, and maybe its just after seeing how much TO changed a team around and how he performed so consistently well in every game until he was hurt, then the way he came back in the Super Bowl.

Harrison is a great posession receiver, with deceptive speed to get past a corner - best route runner in the league. Holt is great, but isn't anywhere near TO.

I'd probably put it at Moss, TO, Harrison, and Holt, in that order.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the Vikes really are trading Randy away, they must feel pretty good with Marcus Robinson, Kelly Campbell, and Nate Burleson, but you just can't replace a guy like Randy...

[/ QUOTE ]
The Vikes receiving corps is among the best in the league even without Randy and I believe they'd still be at or near the top even without him next year. That said, he completely changes the game and that's a helluva something to give up.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Trades can't be made official until March 2. Until then, we'll all just have to wait and see...

ADDED: Its the top story on espn.com now, and breaking news on cbs.sportsline.com.

wuwei
02-23-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Vikes receiving corps is among the best in the league even without Randy and I believe they'd still be at or near the top even without him next year. That said, he completely changes the game and that's a helluva something to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Vikes fan, but that really overstates the quality of the Vikings receivers. In addition, remember Randy won't be there getting double teamed to draw coverage away from Burleson et al.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How bout cnnsi:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/02/23/moss/index.html

[/ QUOTE ]
I still find it highly unlikely that anything like this would happen while the sale of the team is still up in the air. I really wish they could fast-track this so the team could make some moves in free agency. They've got more cap room than anybody but they can't do [censored] until the sale goes through. By that time, many of the top free agents may be gone.

edit: Plus have we not learned anything from the recent fiasco that was the NHL strike deadline and its on again off again shenanigans?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Alright. As promised before, I'll believe it now (http://vikings.scout.com/2/354511.html). Damn.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Possible FA Additions:

Plaxico Burress
Isaac Bruce
Muhsin Muhammad
Derrick Mason

I don't see anything CLOSE to Randy in those, Plax is probably the best bet, but I don't think Pittsburgh will give him up.

Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards are the only two major WR's in the draft, but if the Vikes trade the top receiver in the game to draft a rookie wideout with #7, I'll flip...

James282
Congratulations, Vikings fans, your team just because unwatchable.
-James

Patrick del Poker Grande
Also, I'd prefer if they could get Charles Woodson. I'd love it if the Vikes could add two Wolverines and get Woodson and then draft Edwards.

NLSoldier
02-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I don't think trading Randy is a bad idea only because the last few years have really proven to me that defense wins championships. But I don't think Napoleon Harris is nearly enough to get in return. Also, he is such an exciting player to watch and to root for that I don't even know if trading him is worth a *slightly* upgraded chance of winning a super bowl. Its nice being able to say the best WR in league history plays on your team...

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I think Muhammed would be a nice short-term addition. He's obviously not going to replace Moss, but he's huge and could give Culpepper a nice red zone target. However, his monster year last year will likely drive his price through the roof.

Did the Vikes lose Linehan as well?

thatpfunk
02-23-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's there to argue?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Moss doesn't block down field/ does so very poorly. Thats part of a wide recievers job.

2) His routes across the middle are average, at best. In specific, short slants and crossing patterns. His deep posts are much better than average.

3) He plays when he wants to play, he's egomaniacal, he doesn't do [censored] for conditioning, not a good teammate, etc etc etc.

I find points 1 and 2 much more important than 3 and think its ridiculous that they're not considered by most when this discussion comes up. Moss CAN have the biggest impact on a game, but I would hate for him to be on my team.

thatpfunk
02-23-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the best WR in league history plays on your team...

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the dumbest things I've ever read in print.

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its nice being able to say the best WR in league history plays on your team...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's silly. Most athletically gifted, perhaps.

Jeez, the Raiders re-signed Porter yesterday also, right? Moss, Porter, Curry, Gabriel... Too bad Kerry Collins is still the QB.

NLSoldier
02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Harris will most likely be the starting middle linebacker, but he "weakened as the year went on," according to Silver and Black Illustrated’s 2004 season in review.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so we're trading the best WR ever for a linebacker who "will most likely be the starter" WTF! Now I'm pissed. Why the hell don't they get woodson for him!?!?!?

wh1t3bread
02-23-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, so we're trading the best WR ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Jerry Rice someone I made up in my mind during a bad acid trip?

J.R.
02-23-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeez, the Raiders re-signed Porter yesterday also, right? Moss, Porter, Curry, Gabriel... Too bad Kerry Collins is still the QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh, kerry may not be a great overall quaterback but few throw the deep ball as good as he does, and that's all he'll really need to throw.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Harris will most likely be the starting middle linebacker, but he "weakened as the year went on," according to Silver and Black Illustrated’s 2004 season in review.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so we're trading the best WR ever for a linebacker who "will most likely be the starter" WTF! Now I'm pissed. Why the hell don't they get woodson for him!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely. I'll be very pissed if they do indeed trade Moss for Harris.

wuwei
[ QUOTE ]
1) Moss doesn't block down field/ does so very poorly. Thats part of a wide recievers job.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just not true anymore. Randy has become a much better blocker than he was earlier in his career. He puts a lot more effort into opening things up downfield for his teammates. Do you watch a lot of Vikings games?

[ QUOTE ]
3) he doesn't do [censored] for conditioning, not a good teammate, etc etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sense is that this is wrong as well, although obviously I have no personal knowledge to back this up. I remember reading articles in local papers about all the work he put in last offseason down in Florida. He came to camp ready to play.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:23 PM
If Moss even lasts CLOSE to as long as Jerry has (and if we rightfully ignore the last, say 3 seasons Jerry's played) then I believe people will be putting Randy and Jerry in the same breath. Time will tell if Randy is the best ever, but come on. Nobody changes the game like he does today.

wuwei
02-23-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did the Vikes lose Linehan as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, he took the coordinator job in Miami, making more $ than Tice does now as head coach.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2) His routes across the middle are average, at best. In specific, short slants and crossing patterns. His deep posts are much better than average.

3) He plays when he wants to play, he's egomaniacal, he doesn't do [censored] for conditioning, not a good teammate, etc etc etc.

I find points 1 and 2 much more important than 3 and think its ridiculous that they're not considered by most when this discussion comes up. Moss CAN have the biggest impact on a game, but I would hate for him to be on my team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask anybody on the Vikings about #3, and they'll tell you that if you can get past his sometimes questionable antics, they love having the guy on their team. Ask Cris Carter about Randy's conditioning, and he'll tell you its second-to-none.

And as far as egomaniacal - if that's what you've got against him, you could probably never watch pro sports again.

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're probably right Clark, and maybe its just after seeing how much TO changed a team around and how he performed so consistently well in every game until he was hurt, then the way he came back in the Super Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he did get hurt, and even with him IIRC they won the same # of games as the previous two years. They got to the Super Bowl without him. They could have lost the Super Bowl without him also. He definitely had a great year, but when it's all said and done, if he had never been on the team nothing would have been different this year.

wh1t3bread
02-23-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody changes the game like he does today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of 5 people off the top of my head who can "change a game like he does":

1. Peyton Manning
2. McNabb
3. T.O.
4. Vick
5. Tomlinson

I'm not arguing that he is a great player (hell, I would love to have him on my team) but to say he is the best receiver EVER is a bit premature.

NLSoldier
02-23-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody changes the game like he does today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of 5 people off the top of my head who can "change a game like he does":

1. Peyton Manning
2. McNabb
3. T.O.
4. Vick
5. Tomlinson

I'm not arguing that he is a great player (hell, I would love to have him on my team) but to say he is the best receiver EVER is a bit premature.

[/ QUOTE ]

McNabb! LMFAO!!!!LOLOLOLOL!!!

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Possible FA Additions:

Plaxico Burress
Isaac Bruce
Muhsin Muhammad
Derrick Mason

I don't see anything CLOSE to Randy in those, Plax is probably the best bet, but I don't think Pittsburgh will give him up.

Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards are the only two major WR's in the draft, but if the Vikes trade the top receiver in the game to draft a rookie wideout with #7, I'll flip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason is a stud.

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Moss even lasts CLOSE to as long as Jerry has (and if we rightfully ignore the last, say 3 seasons Jerry's played) then I believe people will be putting Randy and Jerry in the same breath. Time will tell if Randy is the best ever, but come on. Nobody changes the game like he does today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy is clearly on the way to being considered easily the #2 all-time WR. It's such a huge jump from #2 to #1 that he'll need a lot of luck, meaning health, to get there. He's got a shot though.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:34 PM
1) The Eagles mailed in like the last 3 games of the season because they had already run away with the NFC. Their BACKUPS almost beat the Rams' starters on the MNF game.

2) They did get to the Super Bowl without him, but look who they had to go through. Minnesota has the biggest joke of a defense ever, and even though they played it up a little this season, they couldn't stop Philly. And as much as this is going to piss some people off, I can't get over the notion in my head that Atlanta is still kind of a fluke team. Mike Vick, electrifying player, no doubt, but can't throw for [censored]. They were ALL defense, but couldn't quite finish it in the title game against the Eagles, who also happen to have a pretty damn good defense (Jevon Kearse wasn't the best, but he was well above average).

If he had never been on the team, I don't think they even get to the Super Bowl. Of course, what ifs are worthless, and your argument is as good as mine. Only time will tell, right?

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you laughing at his balding afro? If not, I have no clue why you find this amusing.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Peyton Manning
2. McNabb

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Manning and McNabb are #1 and #2. Drive killing INT's are very exciting, that should be obvious.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Peyton Manning
2. McNabb

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course Manning and McNabb are #1 and #2. Drive killing INT's are very exciting, that should be obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well done.

pshreck
02-23-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you laughing at his balding afro? If not, I have no clue why you find this amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's talking about championship games in general, and this years superbowl. There is your clue.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plaxico Burress

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this feeling that Plax is going to blow up next year if he gets traded.

Blow up being a good thing.

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He's talking about championship games in general, and this years superbowl. There is your clue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Understood, but I guess I don't see how this relates to Moss and his game changing abilities. Moss doesn't exactly have a championship pedigree himself.

I digress, comparing QB's to WR's is silly.

Bulldog
02-23-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"but trading the guy who's arguably the NFL's best receiver "

What's there to argue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Season Highs:

Harrison 143 catches, 1772 yards, 14.5 ypc, 15 TD
Moss 111 catches, 1632 yards, 19.0 ypc, 17 TD

Average Season Numbers

Harrison 9 seasons, 94 catches, 1243 yards, 13.2 ypc, 11 TD
Moss 7 seasons, 82 catches, 1306 yards, 15.9 ypc, 13 TD

Edge34
02-23-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, Philly and Indy ranked 27th and 31st in INTs thrown, respectively.

Boris
02-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Woodson is a big risk. Big money and really hasn't improved since his rookie season. He's not really mentioned anymore as a dominant player in the secondary.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, Philly and Indy ranked 27th and 31st in INTs thrown, respectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their playoff ranking is higher.

MarkL444
02-23-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd prefer if they could get Charles Woodson. I'd love it if the Vikes could add two Wolverines and get Woodson and then draft Edwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

the lions are gonna draft braylon and create the greatest receiving corps in the history of the world.

edited because patrick spells better than me

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the lions are gonna draft braylon and create the greatest receiving core in the history of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be a pretty sweet receiving corps. Of course, you need someone who can get them the ball. Also, the other half has to be able to play a few games without getting injured.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the lions are gonna draft braylon and create the greatest receiving core in the history of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

For my Dad's sake, since he's a huge Lions fan, I hope Matt Millen isn't dumb enough to do this. But, when I think about it, I can't rule out that he won't.

MarkL444
02-23-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For my Dad's sake, since he's a huge Lions fan, I hope Matt Millen isn't dumb enough to do this. But, when I think about it, I can't rule out that he won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, it would be cool.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, it would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, cool would be a season of a healthy Charles Rogers. They have way too many other problems than worrying about getting a 3rd WR.

Victor
02-23-2005, 07:30 PM
muhsin is clearly the best of that bunch.

MarkL444
02-23-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude, it would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, cool would be a season of a healthy Charles Rogers. They have way too many other problems than worrying about getting a 3rd WR.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes that would be cool, too.