PDA

View Full Version : a savant

asofel
02-23-2005, 04:57 PM
In case you haven't read this, its pretty interesting. The guy could probably calculate the correct odds in virtually no time....but wouldn't know if betting was on his right or left...

story on daniel tammet (http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1409903,00.html)

swede123
02-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Very interesting. The human brain is pretty amazing. Thanks for the link.

Swede

asofel
02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting. The human brain is pretty amazing. Thanks for the link.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

no kidding. Makes you wonder what our full potential is...

peachy
02-23-2005, 05:10 PM
didnt read it...but im assuming hes autistic?? I had to work with autsic kids for a few months and we had one savant, it was amazing

asofel
02-23-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
didnt read it...but im assuming hes autistic?? I had to work with autsic kids for a few months and we had one savant, it was amazing

[/ QUOTE ]

read it if you get a sec...he's autistic, but he can speak 7 languages and describe how he sees numbers, his process, and his thinking. cool stuff...

xadrez
02-23-2005, 05:14 PM
My father knew a guy who was impaled in the head as a child by a pointed doorknob (OUCH)

Anyway, this guy apprently did not ever sleep and could recall everything anyone ever said to him, word for word, going back to the accident...

asofel
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My father knew a guy who was impaled in the head as a child by a pointed doorknob (OUCH)

Anyway, this guy apprently did not ever sleep and could recall everything anyone ever said to him, word for word, going back to the accident...

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting...it seems that in a lot of cases, some trauma unlocks some unbelievable abilities in the brain...

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

read it if you get a sec...he's autistic, but he can speak 7 languages and describe how he sees numbers, his process, and his thinking. cool stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

And one of those languages is Esperanto. Now that is cool.

Reef
02-23-2005, 05:23 PM
good read , thanks

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"our" potential is amazing. yours? not so much... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

swede123
02-23-2005, 05:26 PM
I read a story once about a lady who had some sort of accident (perhaps a car accident). When she awoke from her unconciousness (or coma) she spoke English with a British accident. This lady lived somewhere in midwestern US and had never even visited Europe, yet she spoke flawless British English, complete with British expressions and everything. Talk about strange...

Swede

asofel
02-23-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"our" potential is amazing. yours? not so much... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe...nicely done.

asofel
02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read a story once about a lady who had some sort of accident (perhaps a car accident). When she awoke from her unconciousness (or coma) she spoke English with a British accident. This lady lived somewhere in midwestern US and had never even visited Europe, yet she spoke flawless British English, complete with British expressions and everything. Talk about strange...

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard of that too...and can't imagine how its possible...

jack spade23
02-23-2005, 06:09 PM
This story is so cool, to be able to recount all the actions of player x so far and if he will fold to a re raise in a certain position , etc..... that would be awesome

junkmail3
02-23-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This story is so cool, to be able to recount all the actions of player x so far and if he will fold to a re raise in a certain position , etc..... that would be awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and all it takes is a firm brick to the head ...

asofel
02-23-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and all it takes is a firm brick to the head ...

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet we don't see many savant boxers...you'd think mike tyson would have gotten knocked in the right place by now...

KungFuSandwich
02-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Peek can read two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
and I have difficulty winking.

KungFuSandwich
02-23-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He met the great love of his life, a software engineer called Neil, online.

[/ QUOTE ]
So is he gay, or are they buddies.

asofel
02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He met the great love of his life, a software engineer called Neil, online.

[/ QUOTE ]
So is he gay, or are they buddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's gay

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm a very good driver...but only in the driveway.

shadow29
02-23-2005, 10:55 PM
a very good driver
a very good driver

heh. I love that movie.

JDErickson
02-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Just watched a show about him on one of the Discovery Channels tonight.

Very amasing. He learned the Icelandic language in a week and went on their TV station to prove it. Supposedly this is one of the hardest languages to learn and he spoke fluently in a week.

Also said he visualizes objects as numbers and vs vs. When asked to model a number (241 for instance) in clay he duplicated the same shape after being retested on the same number at a later date.

He didn't do very well in Vegas playing 8 deck blackjack due to the lights and sounds bothering him. He did split 7's though when the dealer had a T showing. First hit was another 7 which he split and then proceeded to hit 21 on all 3 of the 7 hands.

Interesting.

They also had a piece about Japanese children learning fast calculations with an abacus. They get so fast and good they no longer have to use the actual abacus and instead visualise the abacus while their fingers make the motions on moving the counters around. That was amasing