PDA

View Full Version : Moving Up

dark_horse
02-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I've doubled my initial $500 bankroll to $1000 on PP playing 1/2 and I'm almost ready to move up to 2/4 once I hit $1200. My question is, would it be prudent to not move up levels until you've played about 10k hands of a certain limit? To move up to 3/6 from 2/4, you only need to win $600, and if you're running well, you can do that in waaay less than 10k hands. I assume 3/6 must be a lot tougher than 2/4, a bigger jump than from 1/2 to 2/4.

shadow29
02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
You'll want to spend a lot of time at 2/4. The money is just way too easy. 2/4 is a better game than .5/1 b/c you can actually put people on hands. 3/6 is a much, much tougher game. Moreover, you have to play tighter b/c of the blind structure.

Of course, all this is hearsay since I'm still NWK at 2/4...

kenberman
02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
I think you are basing your decision to move up based on how many BB's you have, rather than how much you've learned and improved your game. If you feel like your game has improved leaps and bounds, and you want to take a shot at a bigger limit game, then by all means go ahead.

If you feel like you have been running extremely well, and this has given you the bankroll to move up, then, well, I think this is a bad reason to move up. You will get beat in tougher games, which in the long term will hurt your bankroll more than a downswing would at a lower limit.

einbert
02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
3/6 is a tough game, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 2/4 is much easier.

My reccomendation is to stay at 2/4 until
a)you've played at least 20k hands
b)you're confident in your ability to outplay your opponents postflop consistently
c)you've got at least a 400BB BR for 3/6

Once you've completed all three of these conditions, you should move up. This is coming from somewhere who just made the move from 2/4 to 3/6 last weekend after spending about 20k hands at 2/4. 2/4 is a really great opportunity to work on your hand reading skills, your blind steals, and your blind defense plays--take advantage of it.

GrunchCan
02-23-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You'll want to spend a lot of time at 2/4. The money is just way too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally true. 2/4 is my favorite level so far, even with a big downswing i had a while ago. I love 2/4.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's NWK?

DMBFan23
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
"just made the move from 2/4 to 3/6 last weekend"

and you're 8 tabling? I am impressed. I can only 4 table with any kind of attention keeping ability, and I lose reads and play very ABC when I 4 table. how long did you take before you got to 8 tables? did you add them slowly?

einbert
02-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I moved from 4 to 6 to 8 tables over a span of three days while I was at 2/4. I did a day of 4-tabling 3/6, then a day of 6-tabling, and now I'm 8-tabling. It doesn't seem that difficult to me, I guess it's my background in video games and such. I play a little ABC, relying solely on pokertracker/playerview for reads, but so far it has been profitable. I really like doing more tables because it keeps me more interested and challenged and it makes the downswings go by faster. I also feel like I learn more playing 8 tables because I get in more hands, so I'll learn to recognize my mistakes faster. 4-tabling isn't enough to keep me occupied, and 6 is a little boring too, so I like to do this. I feel like I can probably win at about the same BB/100 playing 4 or 6 or 8 tables. Only the long run will tell for sure, though.

dark_horse
02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3/6 is a tough game, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 2/4 is much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've watched the 5/10 tables and they don't seem to be as tough as 3/6. Perhaps it's my small sample size, but otherwise this doesn't make sense. I have a friend who plays 10/20 and 20/40 at Borgata and told me he's been killing the 5/10 at PP lately, but hey, I'm not at his level just yet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Entity
02-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Spend some time -- a lot of time -- at 1/2 6m if you haven't already. It's tragically soft, but will teach you to read hands better and work better in non-multiway situations.

Rob

shadow29
02-23-2005, 07:09 PM
NWK- Negative Winrate Kid. Some random idiots whom I know in real life, and on 2+2, made it up. Sorta gay, but sorta funny (if it wasn't me).

5/10 (full) is probably the toughest game on Party. 5/10 sh is also tough, but in a different way.

1/2 sh is quite good, but also filled with variance. Excellent for bonus clearing.

GrunchCan
02-23-2005, 07:11 PM
After I complete my cycle through 2/4, I'm planning my next stop at 1/2 6m. Any advice or suggestions? Iv'e been looking through the archives, but there's a lot to digest, and I don't really know who's who in HUSH.

kenberman
02-23-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After I complete my cycle through 2/4, I'm planning my next stop at 1/2 6m. Any advice or suggestions? Iv'e been looking through the archives, but there's a lot to digest, and I don't really know who's who in HUSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

The good HUSH posters are basically the good posters in the small stakes/high stakes forums. Joe Tall, Trix, Nate Tha Great, Ulysses, etc. I would start by searching for their posts. Granted, I'm basically a 'sometimes lurker' there, but I don't think you can go wrong reading any of those guys.

Like everyone says, 1/2 6 max rules. My BB/100 there is higher than at .50/1 full. But the downswings can be frightening. If you haven't already, sign up for every Crypto site, and clear the monthly bonus's playing 1/2 6 max. That will give you a nice cushion to fall back on when you run bad.

Dead
02-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Ulysses= El Diablo? I searched for Ulysses's posts in the last year and found no hits. Maybe a name change happened?

kenberman
02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ulysses= El Diablo? I searched for Ulysses's posts in the last year and found no hits. Maybe a name change happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, they're the same. I couldn't find anything on search either...maybe that has changed recently.

anywho, here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=891774&page=&view=&sb =5&o=) is a great post for 6 max newbs:

dark_horse
02-24-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you haven't already, sign up for every Crypto site, and clear the monthly bonus's playing 1/2 6 max. That will give you a nice cushion to fall back on when you run bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's Crypto?

kenberman
02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you haven't already, sign up for every Crypto site, and clear the monthly bonus's playing 1/2 6 max. That will give you a nice cushion to fall back on when you run bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's Crypto?

[/ QUOTE ]

read Homer's thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=1060198&Forum= All_Forums&Words=Newbies%20Bankroll&Searchpage=0&L imit=25&Main=1060198&Search=true&where=bodysub&Nam e=167&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&o ldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1060198) to learn about the Crypto bonuses. Note: these sites share the same player base, the software is bad, and the games start at 1/2. But it's a good place to play when you're not bonus clearing at Party.