PDA

View Full Version : East Coast vs. West Coast: pros & cons?

Flushed
02-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Hey guys,

I am considering moving to Califonria (LA area) from NJ, where I was stuck finishing school. What are the pros and cons? Comments on all topics (finances, nightlife, card rooms, excessive vanity and emphasis on looks, etc) are welcome...

I never spent much time on the West Coast, but everything I heard from various sources sounds appealing. I like metropolitan areas and warmer climates.

Thanks,

- Flushed

tdarko
02-23-2005, 02:57 PM
i have lived everywhere and still prefer the south

B00T
02-23-2005, 03:05 PM
on the west coast you dont have to stay up til 1:00 AM watching MNF or a baseball playoff game when you have to be up at 6AM.

stabn
02-23-2005, 03:06 PM
All you need to know is this:

West coast > east coast.

andyfox
02-23-2005, 03:12 PM
If you move here, you'll get to meet snakehead. What more could you possibly want?

istewart
02-23-2005, 03:13 PM
East coast and it's not close. By East Coast I mean New England and the tristate area though.

Flushed
02-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Let's get a bit more specific here.

Cite a reason for one coast vs. the other (all reasons, even better coffee houses will be accepted)

I'll start:

East Coast: Borgata, Boston/NYC pseudo-intellectual crowd
West Coast: Sun, prettier people (??), palm trees, Vegas close by...have I mentioned sunlight?

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have lived everywhere and still prefer Texas

[/ QUOTE ]

Flushed
02-23-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you move here, you'll get to meet snakehead. What more could you possibly want?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing me towards a thread. That's what I get for slacking off on my B&M reading...

MelchyBeau
02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cite a reason for one coast vs. the other (all reasons, even better coffee houses will be accepted)

[/ QUOTE ]

west coast

It is febuary and I am wearing shorts.

Women are wearing bikinis at the beaches right now.

sooo many card rooms.

I can go surfing today, and snowboarding tomorrow.

Close to vegas.

Come out and visit the west coast for a few days. See how you like it.

Melch

Sponger15SB
02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
East Coasters are bitch ass punks.

WESTSIDE!

Flashy
02-23-2005, 03:29 PM
West Coast by Far

Much nicer people.
Much nicer climate.
Much, much, better looking (F Your Brains Out) women.
Close to Vegas - cheap plane ride
LA is a great poker town, if not the best

Flushed
02-23-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Much, much, better looking (F Your Brains Out) women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I'm actually a girl...but I see where you're going with this

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 03:39 PM
the west coast is nice, but one east coast positive is actual seasons, like fall.

sfer
02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
It's important to note that there are several distinct West Coasts. San Diego <> LA <> SF Bay <> Seattle

But one can argue that Portland ~ Seattle. BRING IT!

EDIT: Also, it seems pretty clear that the real imperative is leaving NJ. BRING IT!

BeerMoney
02-23-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the west coast is nice, but one east coast positive is actual seasons, like fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overrated.

My guess about west coast people is that they're a little more self absorbed. But hey, i like generalizations.

Flushed
02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's important to note that there are several distinct West Coasts. San Diego <> LA <> SF Bay <> Seattle

EDIT: Also, it seems pretty clear that the real imperative is leaving NJ. BRING IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaving NJ is key (since I'm slowly going nuts), however, I already lived in NYC and Boston. Where the hell else am I supposed to go on the East Coast if I stay?

Also, by West Coast, I meant LA.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring what?

Seattle rules, but it's not for everyone.

In general, West Coast > East Coast for the winters alone. No crazy snowstorms here usually.

I'll admit it's tough to argue against SoCal.

sfer
02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd go to LA. You can always come back or go somewhere else.

Flashy
02-23-2005, 03:48 PM
What do you know - a female journeyman.

Sorry - I'm bad

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 03:51 PM
the southeast (NC,VA, etc) is pretty nice, great weather, beaches and mountains close by. not good if you like living in big cities though.

if I were you I would consider either the bay area or LA, I personally prefer the bay area.

--turnipmonster

Flushed
02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I'll put this debate in more perspective with background info.

I will not be buying real estate. I'm not a professional poker player, nor will I ever be one. I just got a Bachelor's degree in a useless major from a good school, meaning I have no real profession. I tan easily, I like going out.

So far, California seems to be a winner...

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will not be buying real estate. I'm not a professional poker player, nor will I ever be one. I just got a Bachelor's degree in a useless major from a good school, meaning I have no real profession. I tan easily, I like going out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no debate now really, sounds like either LA or San Diego.

B Dids
02-23-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One could also argue that Tango and Cash is an epic film- but they'd be wrong.

SEATOWN, WHUT.

OhBoy!
02-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Ain't no discussion to it.

Westside is the bestside.

\/\/

WESTSYDE, babay babay!!

Flushed
02-23-2005, 04:05 PM
You're wise beyond your years...

Flushed
02-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Why Bay area rather than LA? Specifics welcome.

sfer
02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

San Francisco (dense urban, walking, bohemian, staunchly leftist). Napa. Tahoe. Fog. Berkeley. Bay. Mount Tam. Diablo. Oaktown players got crazy game.

Flushed
02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, no debate now really, sounds like either LA or San Diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hear the support for San Diego...

DeezNuts
02-23-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to college in Bay Area and visit every 3-4 months, grew up and live in LA. I go out a lot and if that is important to you, LA is much, much better than the Bay Area.

If food and overall atmosphere more important, then SF is the way to go, the city has a very quaint-yet-urban feel to it. In LA, there are little enclaves of cool areas, but you have to usually drive a bit to find them.

Overall, for a 20-something that wants to party and have good weather year-round(not including the current weather), you can't beat LA.

DN

jar
02-23-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Leaving NJ is key (since I'm slowly going nuts), however, I already lived in NYC and Boston. Where the hell else am I supposed to go on the East Coast if I stay?

[/ QUOTE ]
Move across the river to Philly. It's tons cheaper than Boston and NYC while still being a real city. Also, it's a 1 hour drive from the Borgata.

Flushed
02-23-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If food and overall atmosphere more important, then SF is the way to go, the city has a very quaint-yet-urban feel to it. In LA, there are little enclaves of cool areas, but you have to usually drive a bit to find them.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
San Francisco (dense urban, walking, bohemian, staunchly leftist).

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... walking >> driving

but

good lounges/martini bars >> good restaurants/museums >> bad night clubs

fuzzy thinking here...

Flushed
02-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I have to visit Penn on Friday anyways, so I'll get to see it...no high expectations though

Shajen
02-23-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Let's hear the support for San Diego...

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful city. Really. Clean, gorgeous weather pretty much all year round, beaches you can actually go to (unlike the cesspit of humanity that the Bay area is) and enjoy yourself.

Lots of clubs, tons of outdoor activities, closer to Vegas and LA than Bay area, etc.

San Diego > Bay area.

Flushed
02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Good and helpful points were made. California definitely wins; I'm edging towards LA at this point, though I'll have to visit first.

Thanks, gang!

scrub
02-23-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Move across the river to Philly. It's tons cheaper than Boston and NYC while still being a real city. Also, it's a 1 hour drive from the Borgata.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahhahahahahah.

scrub

scrub
02-23-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but

fuzzy thinking here...

[/ QUOTE ]

With the way you drive, a move to LA would probably lower the average life expectancy in the area by 5 years.

scrub

Ulysses
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good and helpful points were made. California definitely wins; I'm edging towards LA at this point, though I'll have to visit first.

Thanks, gang!

[/ QUOTE ]

If possible, you should try to spend a week or two in LA and at least a few days in the Bay Area. They are vastly different experiences and most people tend to gravitate strongly towards one or the other.

Flushed
02-23-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but

fuzzy thinking here...

[/ QUOTE ]

With the way you drive, a move to LA would probably lower the average life expectancy in the area by 5 years.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, the way you dress probably lowered the average male "pretty/grooming factor" in SF by several points, yet that didn't stop you from moving. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's all about weighing your needs against those of others...

Flushed
02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Will do.

Also, apparently, you're listed as one of the "pros" for the Bay Area. Nice. /images/graemlins/wink.gif