PDA

View Full Version : AQs in BB early in Live Tourney

Shorty35
02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
First hour of live MTT. Lots of mediocre play. Field of 250, probably at around 230. All started with T2000, and most players at my full table have about that amount.

Blinds at 25/50 I am dealt AQs in the BB. Five limpers to me. I raise to T350 and get one MP caller who is a classic LAG type.

Flop comes J86 rainbow (one heart).

I bet T700 and villan calls.

Turn comes T (no heart)

Does anyone bet the turn here against this type of player?

JeffM
02-23-2005, 04:44 PM
In my opinion, AQ is the most commonly misplayed hand in hold em. The more experienced you are, the more you realize that it's just not that great of a hand...especially out of position. Why do you want to play a big pot, out of position, with a vulnerable hand? With 5 limpers you know someone is going to call you and unless it's the SB you'll be out of position and then what if you miss? I don't mind the PF raise so much as I do the flop bet. Now that you have been called you've got half your stack in there, early in the tourney with no pair and no draw. You've put yourself in a tight spot. If this is still very early in the tourney like you say, why not check PF and if your hand hits you are likely to win a good sized pot b/c no one puts you on AQ. By the same token if you miss, you can get away cheap. Now that you've missed your flop and your steal you have two choices on the turn....all in or give up. Neither sound very good, but you've dug your own grave. Stay conservative and play your pots with position this early in tourneys.

Bernas
02-23-2005, 04:53 PM
I check it in the BB.
See a cheap flop and if it hits try to win a big pot.

Problem with raising it preflop is your position, and what happens if someone calls or even worse, comes back over the top of you.

Regardless of that, I think your bet on the flop was too large. I think a 1/2 pot sized bet is fine. If he comes over the top then you can lay down the hand.

On the turn I think I am checking and hoping to get a free river card. He has indicated he has something and you have nothing so why waste anymore chips here. If you do decide to bet, you might as well push.