PDA

View Full Version : bonds to have another surgery

mostsmooth
02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
a late press release confirms bonds is going to have 6 more fingers, 3 on each hand, surgically attached. at this time it is not known where the fingers are coming from . bonds' agent stated "barry simply wants to be able to point a finger at more people at the same time"

fishfeet
02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
i dont understand all the bonds hating.

Let the man take roids... dont let him in the hall of fame, but let him hurt his own body.
We get to watch something exciting when he does as opposed to normal borning baseball regular season....

M2d
02-23-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont let him in the hall of fame

[/ QUOTE ]
why not? it wasn't against the rules before last year.

fishfeet
02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
well, I dont know all of the rules and havent cared enough to keep up with developments in the drama....

I cant imagine it was not agasint the rules...
then again, what he took wasnt the oldschool type of 'roids, was it?
I dunno.
If, infact, what he took was not illegal, then by all means he is still qualified for the Hall and no * should be put by any of his records.

Toro
02-23-2005, 02:56 PM
I thought you were going to say "surgery to remove foot from mouth". The more I think about it the less the steroids bother me since as another poster pointed out that they were'nt even illegal.

But I think he puts his foot in mouth when he plays the "race" card. He points out that Babe Ruth was white (although ironically some people have speculated that he may have been part Negro) and that he, Barry is black and then says "and you know, blacks got it little tougher than whites".

Give me a break! Sure, it can be argued that blacks in general got it tougher than whites in this country but not Barry Bonds for crying out loud. His father was a star MLB player who presumably made plenty of dough. Willie Mays was his godfather for crying out loud. How tough could have life been for poor little Barry growing up as a kid, going to Major league clubhouses and being treated like royalty.

This guy needs to give it a rest.

mostsmooth
02-23-2005, 03:48 PM
umm, so you guys know, non-prescribed steroids are illegal in this country
baseball doesnt have a rule against murdering other players either. should we just turn our heads if it happened?

Jack of Arcades
02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Are you going to kick Joe Dimaggio, Whitey Ford, Ty Cobb, and myriads of other players who cheated while they played?

IndieMatty
02-23-2005, 04:40 PM
How did Joey D cheat?

Jack of Arcades
02-23-2005, 04:43 PM
BTW, many many players have broken the law (Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry to name a few). What's your point?

Jack of Arcades
02-23-2005, 04:48 PM
It might not be Joe D, but Mantle I'm thinking of - it's been a long time since I read Ball Four, someone can confirm it for me. During that era, greenies/methamphetamines were very popular. Wasn't a very effective PED, but then again, we don't know how effective Steroids are either.

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were going to say "surgery to remove foot from mouth".

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was gonna say "remove his head from his ass."

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont let him in the hall of fame

[/ QUOTE ]
why not? it wasn't against the rules before last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was illegal, however.

M2d
02-23-2005, 04:56 PM
doing something illegal doesn't immediately disqualify a player from entering the hall.

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doing something illegal doesn't immediately disqualify a player from entering the hall.

[/ QUOTE ]
no, but something illegal and performance-enhancing might. i'm not arguing one way or the other. i'm just pointing out that steroids aren't the same as smoking dope because that doesn't improve your play.

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no, but something illegal and performance-enhancing might. i'm not arguing one way or the other. i'm just pointing out that steroids aren't the same as smoking dope because that doesn't improve your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the problem with this logic is that it would implicitly disqualify an entire generation from Hall eligibility. We're never going to know all of the players who enhanced their ability through steroids. How do I know Griffey / ARod / Clemens... weren't juiced? Just because they haven't testified for a grand jury or because Canseco didn't mention them in his book?

There's just too much speculation and too little known to take such a stance.

mostsmooth
02-23-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, many many players have broken the law (Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry to name a few). What's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]
for the most part, they took responsibility for their actions
i really dont care if every player in the league is on juice, just dont sit there and lie about it if you get caught

mostsmooth
02-23-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were going to say "surgery to remove foot from mouth".

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was gonna say "remove his head from his ass."

[/ QUOTE ]
both of these were possibilities,but i went the original route

mostsmooth
02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But the problem with this logic is that it would implicitly disqualify an entire generation from Hall eligibility. We're never going to know all of the players who enhanced their ability through steroids. How do I know Griffey / ARod / Clemens... weren't juiced? Just because they haven't testified for a grand jury or because Canseco didn't mention them in his book?

There's just too much speculation and too little known to take such a stance.

[/ QUOTE ]
they wouldnt be barred from the hall on speculation. bonds got caught. giambi got caught. sheffield caught. if you get caught then youre barred.

M2d
02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm not saying that it won't or shouldn't get him banned. just that it doesn't automatically have to do so. others have cheated the rules of baseball and gotten in. their transgressions were definately "performance enhancing" (Niekro, Perry, Ford...)

Jack of Arcades
02-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Let's remove every spitballer, then.

jakethebake
02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that it won't or shouldn't get him banned. just that it doesn't automatically have to do so. others have cheated the rules of baseball and gotten in. their transgressions were definately "performance enhancing" (Niekro, Perry, Ford...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have an answer. Like I said before, I'm not arguing for or against banning any of them.

mostsmooth
02-23-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's remove every spitballer, then.

[/ QUOTE ]
fine with me
just the ones that got caught doing it when it was illegal, ok?

Soul Daddy
02-23-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they wouldnt be barred from the hall on speculation. bonds got caught. giambi got caught. sheffield caught. if you get caught then youre barred.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know that they were "caught". They all admitted to doing steriods under oath. So they're basically being held to a higher standard than the rest of the MLB players simply because they were called to testify.

You can argue this all you want, but the fact is that it was not a banned substance until last year. I don't know how you can get around this. If you want to send to suffer a legal penalty, that's fine, but MLB has no basis to subject anyone to a post hoc penalty.