PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about taking a small shot at 5/10. Encourage/discourage me.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
I usually play 4 tables of 1/2 6-max; I'm thinking I'd drop down and try one table of 1/2 and one table of 5/10.

I have 90,000 hands of winning poker from .5/1 to 2/4 full, with the last 15k at 1/2 6-max.

The only thing is if I start off badly, I don't want to dip into my offline bankroll. What's a reasonable # of BB to consider a "shot"?

imported_excel
02-23-2005, 02:06 PM
$6000, no less

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$6000, no less

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems a little much for a shot. 2nd opinion?

B00T
02-23-2005, 02:16 PM
To take "a shot"? I'd say $1000 is safe. You will have a general idea of the game and using 100bb's will give you a decent gauge of how you are running. If you are following plays and feel comfortable with the aggression increase then you can go in head-first. The $1000 will last you long enough even if you lose it to notice if it is dumb beats or feeling overly outplayed.

Mind you with rakeback you are getting ~$6.00/100 as well. The variance is gigantic here but 100bb's will definitely give you "a shot" at 5/10.

Dont take this post to sound like you are destined to lose it. But in answer to your question I think that is a fair amount to get a solid taste of what you are in for next.

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 02:20 PM
agree with 1k, although I might even say 1500. take a shot, nothing wrong with that at all! as long as you are properly rolled for the next lowest game if you have to drop down, I don't see the problem.

--turnipmonster

Entity
02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm getting prepared for the same shot, SC, and have set aside $1500 for it. I've got a roll for 5/10 6m, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the increased aggression yet, so I'm reading a lot and trying to get mentally prepared for it.

Anyone have some must-reads in these forums for someone getting ready for a move from loose-passive games to the 5-10 6m? I've read just about every post in this forum over the last month or so.

Rob

Alobar
02-23-2005, 02:28 PM
ID give it a crack with $1K, however be prepared to lose it just making the adjustment. 1/2 plays sooo different than 5/10. I cleared a multi poker reload bonus the other day play 4 tabling the 1/2 6max games, and its like night and day the difference. I think youd be better off playing some 2/4 and 3/6 6max at a different site, than putting $1K into play at the 5/10 game

whats your 1/2 winrate if you dont mind me asking?

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 02:30 PM
the 5/10 is a loose passive game mostly. aside from occasional obvious maniacs, it is pretty much loose passive.

--turnipmonster

Alobar
02-23-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the 5/10 is a loose passive game mostly. aside from occasional obvious maniacs, it is pretty much loose passive.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree witht hat statement when comparing it to the 1/2. 5/10 seems lookse passive compared to the higher limit games, but compared to the 1/2 its an effing nuthouse

Entity
02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the biggest thing is that I'm not sure what differences I need to prepare for. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've done ok (~2.8bb/100) at 30k hands of 1/2 6m (was running at 4 before a horrendous f'ing downswing this month), but that game is pitifully easy. I'd like to find some better prep for the 5/10 games, but most of the players I talk to routinely have told me that I should just jump in.

Rob

BIGRED
02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I say go for it. When I moved from 1/2 6m to 5/10 6m, I honestly didn't notice that big of a jump in skill level. That was about 8 months ago. If you can honestly tell yourself that the 15K hands at 1/2 was good enough to prove yourself, then try the 5/10. 15K hands may or may not do that for you... I don't know, that's for you to decide.

As far a BR is concerned, I would say 1K is enough to take a shot. Another suggestion I might make is this, which is what I am doing now to dip my toes into 10/20 6m.

I don't know if you keep a buddy list or not, but I often find that my buddies like to jump from one limit to another. I have 4 or 5 buddies that play 5/10, but once in a whilem they will go to 10/20, I guess to try to recoupe at a faster rate. Perhaps you have buddies like that at 1/2 who like to go to 5/10 from time to time. Follow them, and you will at least know there is at least 1 worse player than you at that 5/10 table. Chances are there will be more bad player besides that one buddy you followed.

kidcolin
02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I took my shot with about $1K set aside, and I've now got the adequate bankroll for it. I moved up from a non 6-handed game as well, so moving from the 1/2 6max, I think you should be OK.

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 03:04 PM
I never played the 1/2, but I can't imagine needing to make too many adjustments. don't know if this applies, but I feel many people (even otherwise good players) just pay off too much in small pots when they are obivously beat. also, you need to grit your teeth and make very thin value bets sometimes, get used to the idea that ace high is calling you down.

--turnipmonster

Grisgra
02-23-2005, 03:05 PM
I'll tell you what I've told others in your situation -- try out the 5-handed 3/6 tables at Paradise first. More aggressive/tighter than 1/2, but more passive than 5/10. Hell, a lot of tables seem more passive than Party 1/2. Definitely beatable, and less risk to your bankroll and less of a jump up, so you'll be less likely to play scared.

If you decided to go after 5/10 straightaway, I think that 100BB, or $1000 is fine to take your shot.

arkady
02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Whenever you have an opportunity to take a shot, do so immediately. Don't be scared or disuaded from some of the posts you see, because the most profitable thing in terms of both money and personal poker growth is moving up in limits. Do it asap and the rewards will come, some of the very best posters here took a risk and moved up faster than "normal". Just do it.

7ontheline
02-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Go for it. If you feel that you may be ready, how would anyone here know you better? What's the worst that could happen. If you lose your shot, just build your roll back up.

My best advice when moving up though is too avoid a -100 BB downswing right at the beginning. That pretty much says it all about MY first $1000 shot at 5/10. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Altaslim
02-23-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you what I've told others in your situation -- try out the 5-handed 3/6 tables at Paradise first. More aggressive/tighter than 1/2, but more passive than 5/10. Hell, a lot of tables seem more passive than Party 1/2. Definitely beatable, and less risk to your bankroll and less of a jump up, so you'll be less likely to play scared.

If you decided to go after 5/10 straightaway, I think that 100BB, or $1000 is fine to take your shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I initially moved from 1/2 to 5/10 but had difficulty adjusting so I backed down to 3/6 sh on Paradise to help get acclimated. I only spent a few thousand hands there, mind you, but it was really helpful to get me into the mindset.

I could probably be outplayed by many/most of the regular posters here, but I'm glad I took a risk anyway and moved up. There's enough pie to go around! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SCfuji
02-23-2005, 03:33 PM
somethingclever,

have you read some of those posts about good 5/10 SHers and their losing sessions? they arent downswings, just normal losing sessions. that 1k "shot" could be over in a night. id really think about tripling that to about 3k unless that 1k is 'expendable'.

B00T
02-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Dont be discouraged if you dont see results.

I just completed my first 10k hands at 5/10 and showing a FRICKIN AWESOME 0.03bb/100 WINRATE!!!111111

Hopefully the next 10k will be a bit better. I'll say it once again. Rakeback is your friend!

Altaslim
02-23-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My best advice when moving up though is too avoid a -100 BB downswing right at the beginning. That pretty much says it all about MY first $1000 shot at 5/10. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, the qualifier that I am not a top player around here but...

I lost around 150 BB when I first started 5/10 sh. I attribute most of this to my inexperience at this level and my inability to deal with the swings. That is, I would find myself down 30-40 BB in a session and I would begin to push, thus causing myself even more grief.

Having now spent 30K+ hands at this level I'm much more confident when dealing with swings and find myself able to recover from a small downturn in a session more easily.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 2.5/100.

I'm only 15k hands in, though. So I don't give it much significance.

tongni
02-23-2005, 04:08 PM
A couple months ago I took a shot with 1.5k at 5/10. It went very well. Now I play 10/20 with enough of a bankoll that I never have to worry about moving down. It's worth a try.

Entity
02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 2.5/100.

I'm only 15k hands in, though. So I don't give it much significance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are your stats now, if you don't mind me asking? Earlier when you started, you were much too tight from what I saw, and not quite aggressive enough.

Rob

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that 1k "shot" could be over in a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I do this, I'll be 1-tabling the 5/10 at first, and probably playing 1 table of 1/2 also, so I don't see myself dropping 100 BB at one table in one night.

I have enough for a double roll at the game, but I'm pretty damn risk-averse, so I'm going in one toe at a time.

Entity
02-23-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have enough for a double roll at the game, but I'm pretty damn risk-averse, so I'm going in one toe at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]
1000BB? If you've got that, I think taking a shot with 100BB is fine.

Rob

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your stats now, if you don't mind me asking? Earlier when you started, you were much too tight from what I saw, and not quite aggressive enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I am still too tight and probably not aggressive enough preflop. But I feel pretty aggressive postflop. The 1/2 is just so passive that I sometimes see fit to limp. I doubt that'll be the case much at 5/10.

VPIP - 20
PFR - 12
Blind steal - 22
Fold SB - 90
Fold BB - 69
W$WSF - 34
Went to SD - 33
Won at SD - 54.7
A-F - 2.6
A-T - 2.5
A-R - 1.8
Fold to river bet - 49

I just learned yesterday that I should be raising 88 UTG, so that should up my pfr by about .0005. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
1000BB? If you've got that, I think taking a shot with 100BB is fine.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Er.... 600 BB. Guess that's not a double roll

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rakeback is your friend!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figure if I can just become a breakeven player at the 5 game, I'll make more in rakeback than I am making now at 1/2.

B00T
02-23-2005, 04:24 PM
That has basically been my story moving up from 2/4.

I figured I needed to make 0.25bb/100 from actually playing coupled with rakeback to be where I was at from 2/4.

Too bad I'm not even at that pathetic rate yet. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Zygote
02-23-2005, 04:26 PM
haven't read any of the posters responses yet, but my advice is not to. 5/10 is pretty tough and definitely beatable, but you will need a little money to learn. At least i did. My first 10K hands i was losing at like 1BB/100 hands or something. As of now i'm doing exceptionally well, but it took a learning experience that i could afford. If you feel you can't emotionally or financially afford to learn, then don't bother.

I also don't know exactly what you mean by a shot. But if it means your not in for the long haul then you defintely shouldn't do it. Your skill in poker is only effective on a long term basis, short term is bingo.

If you are in for the long run and can handle 200BB swings and a lot of 100BB swings during your learning process than you might be fine. You'd have to accept bigger swings than that too. The fact is that the type of swings you'll experience are dependent on your win rate. The higher your win rate, the smaller the swings, therefore, you are moving to a level where you winrate will drop and you must be prepared to deal with this emotionally and financially.

Basically, 5/10 isn't going anywhere, but if you're ready and you think your still good after considering the above then go for it. Otherwise, read some 5/10 hand posts, figure out what your stats should be, do some datamining, and build a bankroll.

Jeff W
02-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I think playing 1 table of 1/2 and 1 table of 5/10 is suboptimal. If I were to play 5/10 in your situation, then I would play 1 or 2 5/10 6-max tables, because the 1/2 table is going to be a needless attention drain for the amount of profit it yields.

Of course, I didn't play the 5/10 6-max until I had played many thousands of hands at 3/6 full. I don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry to move up. If you put in the hours, the bankroll will follow.

You can also try 2/4 or 3/6 6-max on non-party sites that have rakeback: Paradise, Ultimate Bet, Pokerroom and Absolute Poker all have small stakes 6-max games and all have rakeback. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by these games: they are similar to the 5/10 6-max.

MisterNatural
02-23-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I'm pretty damn risk-averse, so I'm going in one toe at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If $1000 is too much to lose, what about just dropping down each time you lose a buy in or 2 ($250-500)? When you make it back, jump back in to 5/10 again. This may help you keep from getting too discouraged if you go on a bad run.

Entity
02-23-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you put in the hours, the bankroll will follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with that, what about the situations where the bankroll is already there? I've got 600BB saved up, but I'm just not sure how to determine if I'm ready for the game.

I'm giving the Stars $2/4 6max a shot right now, I'll see how that goes.

Rob

lefty rosen
02-23-2005, 04:58 PM
If you crush the 1/2 game you will beat this game. The only thing is you might run into a rock and not know it. I have played so much 1/2 short that I automatically know who the rocks are. When I move up in a few months I will have to learn who the rocks are all over again which will be a pain in the ass....

lefty rosen
02-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Entity if you are fearful of tight aggro games play at Stars 2/4. That's the game in a nutshell. If you can survive that game you will beat the 5/10 game as the party game is much softer.........

Entity
02-23-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Entity if you are fearful of tight aggro games play at Stars 2/4. That's the game in a nutshell. If you can survive that game you will beat the 5/10 game as the party game is much softer.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm playing that game right now. It's not too bad from what I can see, players are definitely much better than 1/2, but the overall strategy doesn't seem to be too different.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why everyone is in such a hurry to move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've probably moved up slower than most.

That said, I'm pretty damn tempted by the 5/10 because of how weak the 1/2 is.

Full ring just doesn't seem juicy any more.

I'm thinking of trying the 2/4 or 3/6 short on Stars (or UB if it exists there) as some have suggested (I don't like the 5-max at Paradise, and it's too slow for me anyway), but then I miss out on rakeback.

Hrmh.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing is you might run into a rock and not no it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playerview makes it easy to spot the rocks after an orbit or two.

Jeff W
02-23-2005, 05:10 PM
-Rob

1. Bankroll grows faster than skill.

2. Everyone has to assess their own utility.

3. You don't forego much utility by moving steadily upwards instead of skipping limits.

SCfuji
02-23-2005, 05:10 PM
well goodluck to you. hopefully ill be out of the kiddie pool in a couple of months myself.

Subby
02-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey SC -

I don't really have any advice - just want to wish you luck. I am hoping to make the progression one day as well and would be interested in any experiences you could share with us little people back at 1/2 6max...

I do have to say I am suprised at your asking for advice here. I thought everything you would need to know about 5/10 would be in the ole' bible there...watch out for THE LIONS!!!! Or was it EAGLES? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Entity
02-23-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Rob

1. Bankroll grows faster than skill.

2. Everyone has to assess their own utility.

3. You don't forego much utility by moving steadily upwards instead of skipping limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of these, Jeff. I'm still working on point #2, though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought everything you would need to know about 5/10 would be in the ole' bible there

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes. As long as Shadow29 doesn't pull a miracle (a Brian?) this week, the bible should be gone soon.

I'm still really up in the air about whether to try this or not. I may give 1/2 another quick 15k and see where I'm at.

I want to buy lots of stuff with my bankroll, not lose it.

Entity
02-23-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought everything you would need to know about 5/10 would be in the ole' bible there

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes. As long as Shadow29 doesn't pull a miracle (a Brian?) this week, the bible should be gone soon.

I'm still really up in the air about whether to try this or not. I may give 1/2 another quick 15k and see where I'm at.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some good bonuses coming up soon at Party, so you may want to hold off on the move up until you hit the bonuses and get in some more hands. 15k is really microscopic, as you probably know. I'm at 30k and I feel like I have a good handle on 1/2 6m now, but I could probably do well with another 20k or so under my belt.

Rob

Grisgra
02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think playing 1 table of 1/2 and 1 table of 5/10 is suboptimal. If I were to play 5/10 in your situation, then I would play 1 or 2 5/10 6-max tables, because the 1/2 table is going to be a needless attention drain for the amount of profit it yields.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. And you're trying to learn a new style -- doing that while trying to play the old style at the same time is just going to fry your brain. Well, it would mine.

Ulysses
02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an amount of money that, if you lost it, you would feel sick? Take a shot with less than that amount.

You have $6k in your br. There's nothing wrong with taking a shot at 5/10 with $300 or $500. $1000 is plenty IMO.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's an amount of money that, if you lost it, you would feel sick? Take a shot with less than that amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good advice. I'll have to spend some time thinking about what this number is.

I'm pretty sure it's between $500 and $1000.

helpmeout
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
If you have the roll then go to 3/6 full if you can beat that you should be ready for 5/10 6max.

I dont know why people want to jump from 1/2 to 5/10.

As soon as you have a small downslide the amount you have lost feels too big and you go back down.

Dont be greedy and start thinking about how much money you could be making, just make standard move ups and dont skip limits.

Taking shots is also a waste of time unless you have a big winrate (4bb+/100).

Joe826
02-23-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whenever you have an opportunity to take a shot, do so immediately. Don't be scared or disuaded from some of the posts you see, because the most profitable thing in terms of both money and personal poker growth is moving up in limits. Do it asap and the rewards will come, some of the very best posters here took a risk and moved up faster than "normal". Just do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best advice in the thread. 100 BB's is fine IMO if it won't otherwise effect you too much if you lose it. When I want to move up I generally dedicate like 100 BB's to a shot. If I lose it, I go back to my previous limit, make up the 100 BB's, and try again. I'm on my 2nd shot at 10/20 and things look good insofar as I haven't lost my 100 BB's over 10k hands heh.

Also, I would be a little weary of dedicating more than 100 BB's to a particular game at any given time. 100 is good since it gives you a pretty decent chance of being sucessful if you really are good enough to beat the game, but you don't lose an unnecessary amount of money if you aren't good enough yet. Also, when you have less money to work with it's my experience that your play will probably be better.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then go to 3/6 full

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, I've played some 3/6 full and a good amount of 2/4 full, and I don't really like it anymore.

In fact, I tried 1/2 6-max on a whim, because I was fed up with the 2/4 games being (relative) rock gardens at lunchtime.

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as you have a small downslide the amount you have lost feels too big and you go back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this could definitely be a problem. My biggest downswing to date has been about 160 BB at 2/4, and that was pretty painful.

Trix
02-23-2005, 07:27 PM
1K is a pretty good start and should give you an idea about you can beat it or not.

IndianOcean
02-23-2005, 07:32 PM
this is what you do first.

Take phil H's book off your image.
Than jump in to 5/10 6max with 500 bucks. You can start with 250 but sometime you will get down to 200 pretty fast if you hit bad run of cards.

everytime you enter a pot. make sure you are raising.
mean late face cards from late (QJo in CO or button is a raise)

value bet your top pair all the time.

start looking for regular players and start making notes on who is good.

and be aggressive as hell. it's not your 1/2 6 max tables.

(sorry if i misspelled sometthing)

~~~Ocean~~~~

anything you should be limping with you should be raising with. Do not limp and if you a cold caller after you, you will have to bet your A high on the flop and the turn fairly open to take the pot down.

Guy McSucker
02-23-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll say it once again. Rakeback is your friend!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or to put it another, more accurate way: the rake is your enemy.

Guy.

arkady
02-23-2005, 09:44 PM
ty joe,

i guess people do read responses! Your BB benchmark is solid, I am just now lamenting my 200+bb loss from 10/20 full about a few months ago. Despite my strongest convictions, apparently I suck after all. Confounded!

PokerMike
02-23-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dont be greedy and start thinking about how much money you could be making, just make standard move ups and dont skip limits.

Taking shots is also a waste of time unless you have a big winrate (4bb+/100).

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst advice i've heard in this thread yet. Its quite hard to get the 'skill' to beat a game without actually playing in it. Having a stellar winrate at another limit doesn't mean all that much when game conditions change drastically from limit to limit.

Depending on how many 'shots' it takes, if you are able to ground yourself in the new limit then it definately pays off. Moving out of the kiddie pond is a big step towards greater skill + earn rate, and improving both at an accelerated rate is not a 'waste of time', IMHO.

billyjex
02-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey somethingclever,

I haven't read any of the other responses in this thread, but be prepared to possibly lose alot of money (or make alot) if you take a shot.

I destroyed the 1/2 6-max game, as well as was a winning player at 3/6 pokeroom 5-max. Yet I just recently took a shot at Party's 5/10 6-max and dropped 140BB in a week.

So, if you can spare 100BB, I'd say give it a shot. It's alot more aggressive than 1/2 and the players are much trickier.. good luck.

JrJordan
02-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Well I won't lie. The games look pretty amazing at times, but variance is a bitch. This is my second stab at trying to make it in the 5/10 6-max game. The first time up I ran up 120BB, then down 200BB before I decided to drop back down to rebuild and try again. Second time around, I was up another 100BB, now trying to recover from a 150BB downswing. This has all been over around 15k hands. The rakeback and bonuses are keeping me afloat right now, so I'm still trying to stick it through. Eventually I know I'll beat this game and I feel like the more time I spend here, the better.

Long story short, give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose because you know you can always rebuild that bankroll through all these bonuses.

kidcolin
02-24-2005, 02:11 AM
If you've got a $6000 bankroll, and the money isn't super crucial to your rent, education or your babies and babies' mommas, I say definitely give a stab at $1K. Even $500 wouldn't be bad. Like I said before, I took a stab when my bankroll was only $2200 or so after cashing out some. I was playing 2/4 full ring games at the time, and I wasn't comfortable with losing more than $600-$700. And that's still the case, but I'm doing well. And if and when that huge downswing occurs, I'll reassess my comfort level and drop back down if need be.

I really think given your 1/2 results and your apparent grasp on poker, you should really take a shot. You'll earn more and get better.

Nate tha' Great
02-24-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good advice. I'll have to spend some time thinking about what this number is.

I'm pretty sure it's between $500 and $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be a problem.

The main limitation for someone in your position isn't the ability to beat the games, or even bankroll per se, but the ability to tolerate the swings without letting it alter your game. If losing $500 or $1000 would really bother you, I'm not sure that you're going to be able to do that.

The idea of taking shots applies when you don't have an adequate bankroll to play a game long-term, but you think you have a positive expecation and can move back down without significant financial or psychologial harm if you run bad.

That doesn't describe your situation. You *do* have an adequate bankroll, you just don't have enough gamble in you to play the 5/10 game at present.

Perhaps you could play some 2/4 or 3/6 ring to get more used to the swings. I don't know how to solve the problem, but that's the problem.

ALL1N
02-24-2005, 02:41 AM
Since you're still early in your career, I strongly recommend learning NL. IMO, a decent player in the Party NL $50 games will have a greater expectation than that in the 3/6 stars game, and is the perfect bridge between 1/2 and 5/T. Also, perhaps more important, is that NL really teaches you some aspects of the game which, while very applicable to limit, are less obvious and take longer to learn. E.g. the true value of "protecting your hand" and also the true value of deception.

Richie

Jeff W
02-24-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...I wasn't comfortable with losing more than $600-$700. And that's still the case, but I'm doing well. And if and when that huge downswing occurs, I'll reassess my comfort level and drop back down if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're doomed. 60-70BB is a routine downswing.

7ontheline
02-24-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is what you do first.

Take phil H's book off your image.
Than jump in to 5/10 6max with 500 bucks. You can start with 250 but sometime you will get down to 200 pretty fast if you hit bad run of cards.

everytime you enter a pot. make sure you are raising.
mean late face cards from late (QJo in CO or button is a raise)

value bet your top pair all the time.

start looking for regular players and start making notes on who is good.

and be aggressive as hell. it's not your 1/2 6 max tables.

(sorry if i misspelled sometthing)

~~~Ocean~~~~

anything you should be limping with you should be raising with. Do not limp and if you a cold caller after you, you will have to bet your A high on the flop and the turn fairly open to take the pot down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, be very wary of jumping into the game thinking only, "Aggression, aggression, and more aggression!" Without a doubt 5/10 will be more aggressive overall than 1/2, but you have to be selective. One of the (many) reasons my first shot failed was because I was so ready to bet and raise that I lost a lot more money than I needed to when I was behind. The better players will pick up on hyper-aggressive tendencies and get you to do the betting for them.

kidcolin
02-24-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I wasn't comfortable with losing more than $600-$700. And that's still the case, but I'm doing well. And if and when that huge downswing occurs, I'll reassess my comfort level and drop back down if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're doomed. 60-70BB is a routine downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a bit unclear. I wasn't comfortable loosing losing that much when I took the shot, since loosing more than that would A) suck, and B) drop me a bit lower than what I like to have for 2/4 full games. Now that I have an adequate bankroll (almost 500 BBs) I could stand (I think) a good 100-150 BB swing. I've already had a few 50-70 BB swings. But thanks for the concern.

Jdanz
02-24-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you keep a buddy list or not, but I often find that my buddies like to jump from one limit to another. I have 4 or 5 buddies that play 5/10, but once in a whilem they will go to 10/20, I guess to try to recoupe at a faster rate. Perhaps you have buddies like that at 1/2 who like to go to 5/10 from time to time. Follow them, and you will at least know there is at least 1 worse player than you at that 5/10 table. Chances are there will be more bad player besides that one buddy you followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice in the thread, and in my opinion the only way to move up in levels.

-JDanz

spydog
02-24-2005, 05:58 AM
FWIW, about 5 months ago I tried to make the jump directly from 1/2 to 5/10. I had about a 400BB roll and had beaten 1/2 for a substantial amount over a decent number of hands. I played breakeven for a few hundred hands and then came the whopping 40BB downswing. I knew right then that I wasn't mentally equipped to handle this so I deposited money into Stars and played the 2/4 and 3/6 games for awhile.

It sounds like you already play 3/6 full, so you might be more used to swings than I was because I hadn't played anything higher than 1/2.

Trust me, your ability will be the least of your worries.

BTW, I find 5/10 to be much much tougher than 1/2. It's not even close.

helpmeout
02-24-2005, 06:06 AM
What are you talking about?

5/10 is still a weak game, what sort of "skill" are you talking about to beat it?

Taking shots is a waste of time, just go all or nothing dont piss around with 100BB. You can lose 100BB in a day no matter how good or bad you play. Then what? you gonna go earn that back at lower limits, then take another shot later with scared money?

If you have 500BB for the game then do your data mining read a bunch of 5/10 posts so you know what to expect and then dive in.

You dont need to play the game to see what its like, what do you think this forum is for?

If someone can beat every limit up to 5/10 for a good amount then they will beat 5/10.

It definately does not require a whole new set of skills that can only be learnt by taking shots.

captZEEbo1
02-24-2005, 07:31 AM
FWIW: I was in a very similar boat as you, having played only 1/2 6max and up to 2/4 limit (except far far less hands), and I just made the plunge to 5/10 (and now 10/20) and haven't looked back since. I was only barely profitable to begin with at 5/10, but after around 20k hands, my bb/100 grew very rapidly to a respectable number, and I felt confident I was a very winning player at 5/10, so I moved up to 10/20, and am enjoying a nice run of luck there too. Moving up is the greatest way to make the big bucks. Just be preraped to move back down if you run bad or are too intimidated.

Predator314
02-24-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, if I do this, I'll be 1-tabling the 5/10 at first, and probably playing 1 table of 1/2 also, so I don't see myself dropping 100 BB at one table in one night.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to drop 100 BB at one table in a night, but I did it yesterday. I was at a table with a LAG that was catching everything. I was getting great cards and getting outdrawn time and time again. I kept reloading and retrying. Finally I gave up and quit. It was his day to win, not mine. In under 300 hands, the guy cracked my AA twice, KK once, QQ once, and AK when I flopped 2 pair. It doesn't take long to lose 100BB when those hands get cracked.

The guy is on the buddy list. I just hope he doesn't take my money and blow it on a 15/30 table.