PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's opinions on adjusting play for MTT's?

Bigwig
02-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I want to ask the STT people this, because it's mostly what I play myself. What sort of strategy adjustments do you need to make in MTT's?

My thoughts are that the money in MTT's comes from final tables, not making it ITM like one table SNG's. Because of this, doesn't the format demand a much more loose aggressive strategy?

For example, instead of limping with AQs UTG, you must raise. Instead of calling a UTG raiser on the button with JJ (early levels) you should reraise. Etc.

What are your thoughts on how to adjust our styles to fit the MTT format?

curtains
02-23-2005, 01:56 PM
I think its more that you should now play hands that you would fold in sit and gos, as opposed to raising hands that you might limp with. I still prefer to limp UTG with AQs in multis. However I will play hands like T8s in situations that I'd never dream of playing them in sit and gos.

rachelwxm
02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
play LAG when you have deep stack >40bb.

spentrent
02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think its more that you should now play hands that you would fold in sit and gos, as opposed to raising hands that you might limp with. I still prefer to limp UTG with AQs in multis. However I will play hands like T8s in situations that I'd never dream of playing them in sit and gos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Early on, you need to play like it's big stack live action, not a tournament. With Party's fast blind structure, if you don't double up in the first hour -- and again in the second -- you won't survive to the money.

Lately I've been reading debates in the MTT forum regarding the so-called "accumulators" versus the so-called "survivors." I feel like the accumulators will make more money in Party tournaments and the survivors will make more money in B&M tournaments where you get a little more play for your time.

Apathy
02-23-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Early on, you need to play like it's big stack live action, not a tournament. With Party's fast blind structure, if you don't double up in the first hour -- and again in the second -- you won't survive to the money.

Lately I've been reading debates in the MTT forum regarding the so-called "accumulators" versus the so-called "survivors." I feel like the accumulators will make more money in Party tournaments and the survivors will make more money in B&M tournaments where you get a little more play for your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but the current King of the live "deep stack" tournament poker world, Daniel N., is most certaintly an accumulater.

AtticusFinch
02-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Another poster has mentioned this, but I'll add a little more. Be super aggressive on or near the bubble, especially with a big stack. Mercilessly bully the short stacks who just want to cash. This applies not just to the bubble, but to any situation where there's a quantum leap in payouts. (E.G. right before making the last table).

Earlier, as many posters have said, it depends on the structure, and whether rebuys are allowed. It pays to be more aggressive early if you can rebuy. More aggression is also required if, as at Party, the blinds go up very quickly. You must build up a stack to survive to later rounds.

If your stack is deeper and the progression slower, there's more room to play whatever other style you're comnfortable with. I prefer to play very tight early in low-buyin multis, as there tends to be a lot of craziness as nutjobs bust themselves out trying to double up. Spot them at the table, and isolate them with a big reraise when you have a premium hand.

Any other additions?