PDA

View Full Version : Cars under $20K

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Looking for something under $20K

What you think about this? Pontiac Solstice (http://www.autointell.net/nao_companies/general_motors/pontiac/pontiac-soltice-2004/pontiac-solstice-2004.htm)

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
No.

swede123
02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Cheap convertibles are kinda scary. It's not easy to make a convertible that works well (stays warm in the winter, doesn't allow rain in, decent trunk space). If this will be your main source of transportation I'd look for something a little more practical.

Swede

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 12:47 PM
True, living in milwaukee I think that thing would be a bitch to drive in the snow. Hmm.

gvibes
02-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Just buy a civic and get it over with.

Boris
02-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't know anything about the car but I do have problem with the name.

Paluka
02-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I think a Civic is probably the way to go as well. Or a Jetta if those are still under 20k.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Civic = meh. You can get an Impreza for under $20k and you can also get a Mazda 3. Both are better than a civic (the Impreza is the standout best). The civic's not a bad buy, it's just that there are better out there.

swede123
02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Back in grad school I was faced with the same decision. Buy a cheaper car and pay cash or buy a nicer car and face payments. I went the cheaper route, bought a Civic and didn't look back. Later on I had plenty of opportunities to upgrade to something bigger and nicer but not having car payments is so awesome that I sucked it up, kept the extra money and just bought an old muscle car for the fun times. Now I drive 120 miles per day to work and my little Civic keeps giving me 35ish MPG in rain, snow or whatever.

Cheers,

Swede

Zoltri
02-23-2005, 01:06 PM
http://www.brawl-hall.com/gallery/data/media/6/only_in_california.jpg

astroglide
02-23-2005, 01:06 PM
the scion tc looks like a great deal for a cheap car to me.

gvibes
02-23-2005, 01:09 PM
More suggestions for small, somewhat fun cars:
Nissan Sentra SE-R (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/nissan/sentra/100456708/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.popular.num3.1.n issan*)
Subaru Impreza - all wheel drive (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/subaru/impreza/100399096/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.pricetable.num1. 1.subaru*)
V-Dub GTI (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/volkswagen/gti/100481919/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.pricetable.num1. 1.volkswagen*)
Civic Si (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/honda/civic/100474733/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.pricetable.num15 .1.honda*)
Scion Tc (http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/scion/tc/index.html?tid=edmunds.n.mmindex.content.num1.0.sc ion*)

Disclaimer/edit: I am the proud owner of beat to hell '95 civic DX. ~39 mpg highway, and slow as shaet.

Further edit: I think Hondas retain their value better than any other brand. Also, Mazda 3=Ford Focus=been recalled about 17 times. I do like the Impreza however, and am hoping my Civic can limp on for another few year so I can buy a WRX Sti (or then contemporary equivalent).

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I should also mention that I have the WORST luck humanly possible with cars breaking down and dumping thousands of $$$ into repairs each year so reliability and warranty are pretty important. I know Honda's have a reputation for running forever without breaking down so that's a vote towards them I guess.

Scion TC's don't look too bad.

Does the Civic SI come in non-hatchback?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I have an Impreza WRX and looked seriously and drove all trims except of the Impreza except the STI when shopping (RS, TS, WRX sedan, and WRX wagon - ended up with the WRX wagon) and loved them all. The 2005 Consumer Reports Auto Issue just came in my mailbox yesterday and they've got the Impreza as their Top Pick in the category. Subarus are known for their reliability and if you've ever looked at used Impreza prices, they're damn near what a new one is - they hold their value. All-wheel drive and their handling are both awesome.

lucas9000
02-23-2005, 01:26 PM
i just recently bought a car, under $20k. the scion tc...i love it.

lucas9000
02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Civic = meh. You can get an Impreza for under $20k and you can also get a Mazda 3. Both are better than a civic (the Impreza is the standout best). The civic's not a bad buy, it's just that there are better out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo the mazda 3 is a very good choice, but second to the scion tc /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lucas9000
02-23-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have an Impreza WRX and looked seriously and drove all trims except of the Impreza except the STI when shopping (RS, TS, WRX sedan, and WRX wagon - ended up with the WRX wagon) and loved them all. The 2005 Consumer Reports Auto Issue just came in my mailbox yesterday and they've got the Impreza as their Top Pick in the category. Subarus are known for their reliability and if you've ever looked at used Impreza prices, they're damn near what a new one is - they hold their value. All-wheel drive and their handling are both awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but in colorado EVERYONE has a subaru...it's annoying /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yeah but in colorado EVERYONE has a subaru...it's annoying /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a bit annoying, but at least they're mostly outbacks. I'll have you know I bought my WRX in California where there's about 6 of them in the whole state (and began wanting one when I was still in school in MI), and not as a bandwagoner. Anyway, Subarus are the best cars in the price range (the forester was a top pick in its category too and all are at least recommended) and definitely well-suited to CO, so it makes sense they're so huge here. At this altitude, I have to have a turbo - the thin air kills any normally-aspirated engine. I predicted a few years ago the WRX would be very popular and it looks like my prediction is coming true - they're really growing in popularity.

swede123
02-23-2005, 01:40 PM
How are Subarus as far as interior room? My 98 Civic coupe is HUGE inside, more room than just about any midsized car. However, the newer Civics are just as bad, crappy interior room for someone my size (6'8"). It pretty much seems that most small/midsized cars now are made for six footers and no more. I'm thinking that when I finally do break down and buy something new it'll have to be a full size car or a truck or something.

Swede

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm 6'1" and my car is perfect. At 6'8", I find it hard to believe that you'd have enough room in any small car. Check out the new Legacy - the GT is pretty sweet for that size car. I don't really have a whole lot to say about larger cars/SUVs/trucks, as I prefer a sport compact, so that's what I shop.

astroglide
02-23-2005, 01:50 PM
interior room is fine, interior quality is extremely lackluster

fishfeet
02-23-2005, 02:10 PM
If you dont mind getting a used car and like sporty with a mix of luxury, then look into an E36 ///M3 (1995-1999)

When my old car died I just wish I had a few more grand to put into getting an ///M3. But I didnt, and didnt want to take out any loans, so I got a 328is instead. Overall same looks, less power.

http://www.scda1.com/images/BobCerchione.jpg

Boris
02-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Toyota Tacoma pick-up is a great value.

gvibes
02-23-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Subarus are known for their reliability and if you've ever looked at used Impreza prices, they're damn near what a new one is - they hold their value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I did a quick little kbb.com survey. Base 2001 bottom-line impreza (currently, 18.5-19k) v. base 2001 bottom-line civic (currently 14.5k-15k) with same mileage and same condition, and they were both about $10.5k (suggested retail price). Totally unscientific, but I still maintain that no brand of automobile holds its value better than Honda.

Boris
02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Back in the old days when I lived in Montana I had a Subaru wagon. One of the best war ponies I ever had. Subarus rock.

lucas9000
02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still maintain that no brand of automobile holds its value better than Honda.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about toyota? (i don't know for sure, i'm just asking.)

swede123
02-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Traditionally Hondas are known for holding their value the best. Toyotas are close but not quite as close. This, of course, isn't necessarily proof that Hondas are better than Toyotas, since the whole pricing thing is pretty subjective.

Swede

CindigoHE
02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/ /images/graemlins/cool.gif

gvibes
02-23-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

what about toyota? (i don't know for sure, i'm just asking.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you compare a corolla -> civic (roughly smae purchase price) or camry -> accord (again, roughly same purchase price), the honda will hold on to its value a little bit better than the Toyota.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Alright, I should've said WRX instead of just Impreza. From time to time, I check out WRXs and I'm always finding asking prices of usually at least $18k for 2002s and I usually find a few with asking prices over $20k, even as old as 2002. This all varies a bit for mileage, but this isn't for 2002s with only some ridiculously low 10k miles or something. You can get a brand new one for about $24k. If you can get $20k for a 3 year old car when a new one goes for $24k, then that's pretty damn good. The RS and TS Imprezas don't do quite as well, but the ones I've seen ads for are doing nearly as good.

bd8802
02-23-2005, 03:13 PM
You can get a civic hybrid for right around 20k ... and save lots of gas long term.

/bd

Flashy
02-23-2005, 03:22 PM
New - Jeep Liberty can be had for under $20k with 4wd. Fun ride, roomy, get you through anything.

3yr Audi A4 Quatro used (Audi certified) comes with great warranty 2 years or 100k mileage. A Car & Driver Top 10. Great handling car you can turbo boost to 220hp for $400.

Paluka
02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3yr Audi A4 Quatro used (Audi certified) comes with great warranty 2 years or 100k mileage. A Car & Driver Top 10. Great handling car you can turbo boost to 220hp for $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get this car for under 20k?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get this car for under 20k?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not, but if you do, be sure to budget another $20k for maintenance and repairs. Audi's reliability is [censored].

shadow29
02-23-2005, 03:51 PM
http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/lrg/98601061990103LRG.jpg

And it's not even close.

Ensure that you get the 5-speed manual with the non-turbo engine (I forget which years have which engines, my '96 has a 2.8).

astroglide
02-23-2005, 03:55 PM
the big audi/vw trash comes from the a4 platform around 02 when the coil packs were hosed. if one went out your car would die, and because of a parts shortage they would only replace the dead one. next one would fail, another trip to the dealer, etc. it amped up their service visits per customer and drove their reliability through the floor. if there were a way to bet on increased reliability after the coils and window regulators were fixed at the factory i would have. but even ignoring that it's not going to touch a honda.

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Those WRXs look pretty sweet.

Added to my watchlist.

Freakin
02-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Japanese import. Find whatever you can. Or by two cards like the Focus or cavalier. Keep one in the garage and start driving that when the first one breaks.

Freakin

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't remember which exactly it was, but a few months ago, one dealer here was giving away a focus with every truck (or maybe it was an SUV) sold.

swede123
02-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Freeway Ford, right off of 25. If you bought a (loaded) '04 Explorer or Ranger 4x4 they would give you an '04 Focus.

Swede

ChrisCo
02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
I'll have to second Patrick on the WRX.

I got that car when I first started driving and it is a blast to drive, not too expensive especially for what you get, pretty reliable, and very versatile because of the all wheel drive.

It is simply one of the fastest cars at 20k with a good all around package.

Reef
02-23-2005, 05:01 PM
sexy

peachy
02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
97 BMW m3

zephed56
02-23-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.brawl-hall.com/gallery/data/media/6/only_in_california.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice hood. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's my Bug.

http://nike.cecs.csulb.edu/~jtdahl/htimages/rightRearBody.JPG

http://nike.cecs.csulb.edu/~jtdahl/htimages/sideViewBody.JPG

The-Matador
02-23-2005, 08:39 PM
I have always been an enormous fan of Preludes. The Vtec ones are fast and they always look great.

jason_t
02-23-2005, 09:01 PM
You can not go wrong with a Honda Civic. I have a 2004.

Emmitt2222
02-23-2005, 09:09 PM
how are the scions with gas milage/reliability? I know they havent been out long so there isnt a wealth of facts on long term, but Im really looking for a reliable car and that one looked especially pimp

shant
02-23-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i just recently bought a car, under $20k. the scion tc...i love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Really great car for the money, look, driving, and interior space are all beyond my expectations.

astroglide
02-23-2005, 11:50 PM
gas mileage: specs are published. reliability: scion is owned by toyota.

wonderwes
02-24-2005, 05:13 AM
I own a 2004 Accord. I wanted the stick, but also wanted the power with the v6. Alas, I had to go more on price and get the 4 cyl model. I got the 2 dr because it has a better look to it. I paid 18.6 for the car. The interior is great, it handles smooth, and I actually haul ass in a car with such high fuel efficencyr. (Get around 35 hwy). I dig it more than the Civic.

You could always get a Mini Cooper.

peachy
02-24-2005, 05:27 AM
My m3 gets GREAT gas milage for what it is...about the same as my honda does

Kenrick
02-24-2005, 05:58 AM
Dodge Neon SRT4, and at this price, it's not close. Will do 400hp easy. It's front-wheel-drive, and FWD sucks, but you can't have everything at this price. Tack on a few more grand for a Lancer Evolution and there you are.

Note: 20k also is enough for a used C5 Corvette.

Just depends what you want and how old you are willing to go.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dodge Neon SRT4

[/ QUOTE ]
You're officially banned from making any more car suggestions to anybody on this forum.

Zoltri
02-24-2005, 10:31 AM
I doubt a car under $20k has a good anti-theft system like these ones. (http://www.enoutpost.com/video/2004auto.swf)

lucas9000
02-24-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how are the scions with gas milage/reliability? I know they havent been out long so there isnt a wealth of facts on long term, but Im really looking for a reliable car and that one looked especially pimp

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as reliability goes, they're made by toyota. 'nuff said /images/graemlins/smile.gif

you can look up their gas mileage online. i drive my tc like i stole it, and i still get good gas mileage.

lucas9000
02-24-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as reliability goes, they're made by toyota. 'nuff said /images/graemlins/smile.gif

you can look up their gas mileage online. i drive my tc like i stole it, and i still get good gas mileage.

[/ QUOTE ]

more on reliability: not only is the scion tc made by toyota, it's made by toyota in japan. that does make a difference.

BradleyT
02-24-2005, 02:00 PM
I spent a half hour at the scion site last night building one. Then I found a forum (Scion life I think) - they seem like great cars.

So far Subaru WRX and Scion TC.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's really down to the WRX and the tC, then I can't imagine anyone picking the tC for anything other than cosmetic reasons or the difference in price. Those reasons better be pretty strong, though, because the performance doesn't compare.

BradleyT
02-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm 30, it's not like I'm going to be pulling up at stoplights and racing mustangs or camaros so maybe the subaru is a bit overkill. And the difference in price between fully equipped is quite a bit.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-24-2005, 02:06 PM
The tC isn't exactly your typical 30-something car, either.

BradleyT
02-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Neither is saying "gay" or "pimp" or "owned/pwned" but I do those too.

bd8802
02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30, it's not like I'm going to be pulling up at stoplights and racing mustangs or camaros so maybe the subaru is a bit overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanna do that, you can just get a super-charged Pontiac Grand Prix. It will own stock camaros and mustangs.

/bd

zephed56
02-25-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30, it's not like I'm going to be pulling up at stoplights and racing mustangs or camaros so maybe the subaru is a bit overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wanna do that, you can just get a super-charged Pontiac Grand Prix. It will own stock camaros and mustangs.

/bd

[/ QUOTE ]
Or you can smoke a race camaro with one of these (http://quicksitebuilder.cnet.com/vinperfnet/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/kurtvscamaro.mpeg)

MMMMMM
02-25-2005, 01:31 AM
My car is under $20K. Wanna buy it?

Kenrick
02-25-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dodge Neon SRT4

[/ QUOTE ]
You're officially banned from making any more car suggestions to anybody on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what a person wants. If the Neon SRT4 wasn't FWD, it would hands-down be THE car for budget-performance drivers at that price. It's a 2.4-liter that can easily do 400hp reliably and can do 500hp if you like to push things. I used to think power didn't matter. And then I drove something with power. Can't go back. It makes you feel something when you're driving. Every highway onramp makes you smile. Combine AWD with 450hp and you'll think you are defying the laws of physics when launching from a stop.

I could name various other cars, but when talking NEW, the choices are pretty slim at 18k for something that's fun. I also like Caddies and Park Avenus and things, but no one's getting a new one for 20k.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-25-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dodge Neon SRT4

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what a person wants. If the Neon SRT4 wasn't FWD, it would hands-down be THE car for budget-performance drivers at that price. It's a 2.4-liter that can easily do 400hp reliably and can do 500hp if you like to push things. I used to think power didn't matter. And then I drove something with power. Can't go back. It makes you feel something when you're driving. Every highway onramp makes you smile. Combine AWD with 450hp and you'll think you are defying the laws of physics when launching from a stop.

I could name various other cars, but when talking NEW, the choices are pretty slim at 18k for something that's fun. I also like Caddies and Park Avenus and things, but no one's getting a new one for 20k.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact remains that the Neon does none of this. It's not AWD, it's not RWD, it does not defy any laws of physics, and it doesn't handle like its competitors. The fact that you can supe it up to 400hp doesn't mean anything because you can do that to damn near any car and it's going to cost you a pile of cash anyway. In the end, it's still a shitty car with a decent motor in it. Jack it up to 400hp and take it to the drag strip where you're going in a straight line, fine, but if you actually want to drive, a WRX is the way to go.

Flashy
02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Around $18k should do it. The warranty protects you for 2 years, almost unlimited miles. I bought one and the reliability has been excellent. The dealer reconditoned it with new tires, brakes, and other stuff in the pre-owned program. Its a great ride.

Kenrick
02-26-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you can supe it up to 400hp doesn't mean anything because you can do that to damn near any car and it's going to cost you a pile of cash anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically said "budget performance" for a reason. 400hp doesn't take a pile of cash on certain cars. The Neon is even underrated from the factory, so it's already ahead of its factory-hp rating by about 15%.

And, yes, it's a good motor in a so-so everything else. But it's hard to have a good motor AND everything else for 18k brand-new out the door.

The Neon is merely one option in the pocket-rocket category. Many people, including yourself it sounds like from your "pile of cash" comment, don't realize the potential it has. The original post didn't give many specifics on what category was being considered, so I thought I'd mention it since it's not often mentioned. For 20k, I'd still prefer a used C5.

BradleyT
06-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Scion TC it is. I have been reading the scionlife forums since this thread and it's quite a community of car owners.

Today I got approved for a capital one blank check auto loan (I have shitball credit with old collections and charge-offs) for $13K and I have $8K saved so time to go shopping.

Thanks for pointing out the Scions, I'd never even heard of them before this thread.

Rick Diesel
06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I think that you will pull a ton of dudes in your fake sports car. Seriously though, why not just get a beetle and fully declare your gayness.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-27-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that you will pull a ton of dudes in your fake sports car. Seriously though, why not just get a beetle and fully declare your gayness.

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub
06-27-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can get a civic hybrid for right around 20k ... and save lots of gas long term.

/bd

[/ QUOTE ]

The hybrid doesn't make economic sense v. a civic with a stick. Big price premium for not that much savings since they already get great mileage. Add in uncertainty about long term durability and resale value, and a standard civic is a much better deal.

scrub

scrub
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's really down to the WRX and the tC, then I can't imagine anyone picking the tC for anything other than cosmetic reasons or the difference in price. Those reasons better be pretty strong, though, because the performance doesn't compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked into buying a used WRX, but I couldn't find one that I felt comfortable buying. It's not exactly a car that people drive gently--most used ones I looked into had been beat to hell and usually modified.

scrub

raisethatmofo
06-27-2005, 07:15 PM

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-27-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thought the Solstice looked cool ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most likely (and hopefully), yes.

mostsmooth
06-27-2005, 10:44 PM
the only correct answer is a toyota corolla (4 door)