PDA

View Full Version : Sentences. Interrupted. By. Periods.

kenberman
02-23-2005, 11:48 AM
It annoys me.
When did this becomes popular? I know the Daily Quickie on ESPN loves this style of writing (Best. Team. Ever.), but I don't get it. It's a bit too dramatic, no?

Anyone else?

junkmail3
02-23-2005, 11:50 AM
No.

(It. Was. Too. Easy.)

Eurotrash
02-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Well sentences usually are interrupted by periods.. else everything would be a huge run-on. But that particular style you're referring to comes from none other than Comic Book Guy of the Simpsons referring to Itchy and Scratchy:

Worst. Episode. Ever.

kenberman
02-23-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well sentences usually are interrupted by periods.. else everything would be a huge run-on. But that particular style you're referring to comes from none other than Comic Book Guy of the Simpsons referring to Itchy and Scratchy:

Worst. Episode. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't think "Ever" can be a sentence on it's own.

Also, I don't think Comic Book Guy was using that phrase as a written sentence...I may be grasping at straws here, but I think it's worse written than spoken.

Eurotrash
02-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't think people were thinking of proper punctuation when they wrote it like that.. I'm pretty sure the periods are more for emphasis than anything.

I probably could be wrong about the CBG being the originator of that way of stating things, but it's certainly the first time I've seen it written like that (in reference to his statement.)

Shajen
02-23-2005, 12:07 PM
I thought the first time CBG used it was when the Itchy/Scratchy movie came out as well.

Something like:

Worst. Movie. Ever. I'll only watch it 4 more times. Today.