PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Graphics Ok?

Unarmed
02-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Ordering a Dell 6000, will be using it for 4 tabling, watching DVD's and thats about it. Should I spring for discrete graphics? (64 MB)

Thanks.

rdu $teve
02-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Integrated graphics systems blow. If you decided to update (more memory, faster, etc), it can be hard to turn the integrated card off. Another possibility is a conflict with a second card if you want to add another monitor.

Definately throw the extra cash at the discrete system

crownjules
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Integrated will do fine for just poker playing and DVDs. If you ever think you're going to game, however, you should spend the extra money now on a separate graphics card.

jmgurgeh
02-23-2005, 01:49 PM
A friend of mine just bought a new computer with integrated graphics. I don't think the computing power is as much a problem as the fact that the card takes its memory from the RAM. If you're running Windows XP, you want 512MB, and that's without something like an integrated graphics card sucking away 64MB. If you have extra RAM though, it might make little or no difference. Either way, you can get decent graphics cards for $50 that will take the load off the rest of your system (I'd go higher if you play games though). Check www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) for video cards.

The other consideration is how it affects your monitor. This doesn't matter if you have an LCD, only if you're using a standard CRT monitor where the refresh rate is important. Crappy integrated graphics chips might not get you as high a resolution and refresh rate as you want, so check to see how high you can go. A lot of people like 1600x1200 for 4 (or more) tabling, but I prefer to keep it at 1280x1024 at 85 hz. If you start playing around with this, just take one wraning to heart: DON'T set the refresh rate as high as it can go. Yes it can still technically run, but it might also damage the monitor. Choose a refresh rate one below the max, which will hopefully be at least 75 hz.

TomBrooks
02-23-2005, 02:03 PM
A separate graphics card will usually get you two video outputs so you can use two monitors. I have a new XP w/ integrated video and it runs one CRT pretty OK, but it's flickering even though it's on 85 Hz. But it was flickering on my other XP machine with a GForce 5200. Funny, I didn't notice it until I got an LCD. Then I realized the CRT was flickering. Maybe the monitor is going bad.

TomBk

Unarmed
02-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Ah good point.
Alright so I'll nab the discrete card then.
If I'm running one external monitor will 64 MB do the trick or should I be getting the 128?

Thx.

AncientPC
02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
64MB will do the trick. More video card memory is mostly for gaming.

Tony Corbett
02-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I run a Dell 2001FP at 1600x1200 as an external monitor for my Packard Bell 1.5 celron laptop with 256Mb RAM (32Mb used by the onboard graphics card.) i also run XP Home and have no problems surfing on the laptop screen and playing 4 tables on the Dell. PlayerView sometimes needs restarting after a couple of hours.

The compromise I had to make was knocking the colors down to 16 bit which is fine for poker and surfing

rivered
02-24-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have extra RAM though, it might make little or no difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the problem at all. It's not that it ties up ram, it's when the video card is currently using the ram your cpu can't. You can't have both the CPU and vid card reading from ram at the same time. It just kills your system and if you're going to play at somewhere like absolute or paradise, it's brutal. If you're only going to play at Party or Poker stars it shouldn't be too bad but upgrade when you can.

AA suited
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
64megs integrated graphics should be enuf to run at least 1600x1200x16bit color @75hz.

i do not notice a difference between 16 bit (64000 colors) and 32bit (1million colors) except when i'm gaming (ie: Doom3). but then again, dont even think of playing heavy graphic oriented games w/integrated graphics.

NoTalent
02-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Get the integrated graphics first. See if it is good enough for you.

If you want to upgrade, you can very easily and more cheaply than you can when buying a separate vid card from dell

CORed
02-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Although I agree that the video card is better than the integrated graphics, it's really not a problem to add a video card later. I initially purchased my Dell with integrated graphics. When I discovered that I couldn't get the GUI in Linux to work properly, I bought a video card that was comptattible with Linux. All I had to do was install the drivers and move the monitor cable form the integrated plug to the video card plug.

rogue
02-24-2005, 01:15 PM
The Dell 6000 (inspiron) is a laptop, so all the suggestions to get integrated graphics now and maybe upgrade later won't work out. I just ordered the same laptop, and went for the 128mb ATI card. I hear the x300 is good for pretty much everything except for the hardcore FPS games.

Also you have to think what you will be using this machine for 2 or 3 years from now. I wanted my laptop to last a long time, so I tried to add as much options as I could without getting something rediculously expensive.

NoTalent
02-24-2005, 01:19 PM
oh this is a laptop.....

Should have said that in the first place! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Cruisers
02-24-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Dell 6000 (inspiron) is a laptop, so all the suggestions to get integrated graphics now and maybe upgrade later won't work out. I just ordered the same laptop, and went for the 128mb ATI card. I hear the x300 is good for pretty much everything except for the hardcore FPS games.

Also you have to think what you will be using this machine for 2 or 3 years from now. I wanted my laptop to last a long time, so I tried to add as much options as I could without getting something rediculously expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon my ignorance, but what are FPS games? I just ordered the same laptop yesterday and would like to know what I can't do with it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

rogue
02-24-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pardon my ignorance, but what are FPS games? I just ordered the same laptop yesterday and would like to know what I can't do with it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

First person shooter. And I wouldn't say it *can't* play them as much as it won't be as screaming fast as it would be on a top of the line desktop.