PDA

View Full Version : The absurdity of the HUSH forum

stigmata
02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Is it me, or is the wind blowing the wrong way? Or the planets misaligned?

It all just seems quite tetchy round here recently.... Like I made two innocent posts, came back the next day, and both had descended into protracted arguments.

There also seems to be a Challenging Newbies Vs Heard-it-all-before Veterans thing going on.

I know all this is standard for an Internet forum, and much of it is half in jest. It just seems that it is worse than normal at the moment.

/random rand

Can we all just chill a little /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Maybe a HUSH forum sticky will stop us Noobs from annoying the veterans so much?

krishanleong
02-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I totally agree. I don't mind if a question has been asked once before in the history of the archives. Just answer it again.

But I'm one of the newbies.

Krishan

kidcolin
02-23-2005, 11:42 AM
This has totally been talked about before. Try using the search.

Scotch78
02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are now my official pet newbie. I promise to hug you and pet you and answer all of your questions no matter what.

Scott

Grisgra
02-23-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are now my official pet newbie. I promise to hug you and pet you and answer all of your questions no matter what.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds -EV for kidcolin to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Great line by him, though.

And you know, I'm too old to get into pissing contests on internet bulletin boards. I'm sure we all know the joke about how it's like being in the Special Olympics. But as tasty good as those archives are supposed to be . . . well, I'm not entirely sure why we NEED a HUSH forum if we're supposed to go to the archives first. Almost every type of hand and every play-related question has been asked about already. The only new threads will be about "how the game has changed in the last six months" . . . and I think we're all tired of those /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

witeknite
02-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm wondering what the forum was like "back in the old days." Was there a group of old guard types that despenced out wisdom to the unwashed masses or were the posters that are now the old guard just discussing hands? If it's the former, then anyone that gained from that master/student relationship shouldn't feel bad that they are now the masters and there are a now crop of students. If it's the latter than the best thing that a seasoned vet can do is keep quiet and let us discuss the question du'jour and come to our own conclusions.

What I think we all need to do is post hands we have questions on, but more importantly, respond to others poster's hands with our thoughts. We shouldn't rely on the veteren's to come tell us what to do. If we want their answers, we can go to the archives. If we want to discuss hands and improve our games, than an authoritative answer atually retards this.

My 0.002 of a BB at 5/10.

WiteKnite

spydog
02-23-2005, 12:32 PM
I will be saying a prayer in church on Sunday that El Diablo will start making positive contributions again to this forum.

Praying for The Devil? The HUSH forum is having a major low.

Joe Tall
02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I stop by for a sec, figured I try to help and get this for a reply. This place blows. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1790282&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Good luck to you all,
Joe Tall

Grisgra
02-23-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I stop by for a sec, figured I try to help and get this for a reply. This place blows. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1790282&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Good luck to you all,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very confused. Other than the almost-required-at-this-point poke at naphand, did someone say something rude? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1790282&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

Seriously. Stigmata says he wants to do a massive search of the archives to help out the newbies/relieve some pressure on the veterans, Joe Tall suggests big searches targeting specific users, Scotch points out that there's a problem with this strategy in that it might create a lot of overlap, and in response, Joe Tall tells us we suck, sarcastically wishes us "good luck", and leaves.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=psych&Number=1518474)

EDIT: He didn't delete his suggestion. Shame on me. Looked at the wrong thread. Nonetheless, I don't understand the reaction.

BottlesOf
02-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Joe, you're a very sensitive guy.

Have you seen the new Mets jerseys, they kick an unbelievable amount of ass. I think I may come back (to Foxwoods) like Jordan, wearin the 4-5 (Pedro)

spider
02-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I'd like to take both sides of the argument if no one objects.

[ QUOTE ]
Almost every type of hand and every play-related question has been asked about already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the thing is we're learning by discussing hands, not by passively reading old discussions of similar hands. So whether a particular topic was discussed 1 year ago is in many ways irrelevant. And the the search function here is not exactly google quality.

At the same time, there is really no point in asking guys like El Diablo to be excessively polite. We're lucky to have their contributions, and if they dispense with pleasantries now and then, it doesn't bother me at all.

SCfuji
02-23-2005, 03:49 PM
i dug this one up following partyway to JTs suggestion:

for new 6-max players by Guido (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=891774&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

this post should lead all of us 1/2 newbs like me towards the promised land.

for some reason i couldnt get any ulysses posts to show up through any query. i dont even know who the guys is im not old enough.

Entity
02-23-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dug this one up following partyway to JTs suggestion:

for new 6-max players by Guido (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=891774&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

this post should lead all of us 1/2 newbs like me towards the promised land.

for some reason i couldnt get any ulysses posts to show up through any query. i dont even know who the guys is im not old enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulysses is a lot like El Diablo, only younger.

SCfuji
02-23-2005, 04:02 PM
but the name doesnt show up on the search? or are you trying to tell me that ulysses is el diablo when he was younger...? /images/graemlins/frown.gif im retarded.

Ulysses
02-23-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right, the thing is we're learning by discussing hands, not by passively reading old discussions of similar hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I largely agree with this statement.

However, I do think there's a lot of value in using the archives to find answers to questions like "What do you defend with in the BB?" or "What hands do you open for a raise UTG?"

Yeah, the search sucks and wading through the archives is a pain in the ass. I never did this and don't expect anyone else to, either. But I think it's a reasonable suggestion to give to anyone who posts that they can't figure out how to beat this game.

felson
02-23-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but the name doesnt show up on the search? or are you trying to tell me that ulysses is el diablo when he was younger...? /images/graemlins/frown.gif im retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

He changed his username to Diablo last year.

SCfuji
02-23-2005, 04:42 PM
gotcha. and i found the name ulysses.

raisins
02-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I think time spent reading and replying to current posts is worthwhile but I spend more than 75% of my time in the archives. The search feature is good enough. Even the old archives, the digeests, are well worth going back over.

Searching for specific topics is not IMO the way to go. Look for the posts of posters you respect then examine and copy their approach to thinking about poker. So El Diablo doesn't defend his BB with A9o to a CO raise after a limper. So what? This is a leak in my own game. Missing it may have cost me a fraction of a $ over 100 hands. Learning what variables he and other quality posters evaluate in a given hand has been of far greater value to my game. Once you get a general sense of what are appropriate starting hands per position then that is the next most important thing to learn. And I think you best learn to identify and correctly respond to the relevant variables by studying good player's game.

There are a number of great posters who have hundreds of posts in the archives who post much more infrequently now. Looking for their posts will be more rewarding than going by today's posts on the latest game conditions. Some forum members who do not seem to post as much nowadays, if at all, that you may find valuable: Ikke, CreamPuff, DanZ, Glenn, snakehead (3BetBrett), also posters who are still active like Schneids, and J_V have a lot of material in the archives worth going over not to mention Sklansky. Game conditions change all the time, knowing how to think about the game is what you really need.

Regards.