PDA

View Full Version : Second pocket kings

thesharpie
02-23-2005, 09:06 AM
This is the second pocket kings I just had at pacific poker .25/.50, I just posted the first hand, and this one happened exactly one hand after the next.

Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif (10 handed)

UTG folds, Hero raises, 5 folds, button calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop is 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 handed) 6 SB

BB bets, Hero raises, button reraises, BB folds, Hero caps, button calls

Turn is 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 handed) 7BB

Hero bets, button calls

River is J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 handed) 9BB

Hero bets, button raises, hero calls

Final pot is 13BB

Did I play it a little too aggressive? Maybe I was hoping this one would make up for the cracked pocket kings I had 2 hands ago. What do you think about capping the flop? I though he might be value raising a straight or flush draw, and as the BB folded, I thought I'd make him pay. Should I check call the river?

TwoShedsJackson
02-23-2005, 09:47 AM
This is a bad flop for KK - when you just have the overpair you want it unco-ordinated so that betting or raising will force people out.

I would call the flop 3bet and then likely call down from the turn on unless the board pairs or another card to help the straight draws comes, in which case folding would be wise.

You can fold when he raises the river unless he's a maniac.

kenberman
02-23-2005, 09:59 AM
any reads?

Without a read that your villian is a maniac, I call his flop 3 bet, and probably call down from there. or fold. A 3 bet from a thinking player often means something better than a pair, especially on this board.

rannerboy
02-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Just call down from after the flop 3-bet. It's already heads up so there's noone else to force out. It's possible you're behind but there is also a good chance you are ahead so you can't fold. He could just have top pair or a good drawing hand such as Ac9c with both a str8 and flush draw.

topspin
02-23-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a bad flop for KK - when you just have the overpair you want it unco-ordinated so that betting or raising will force people out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, this is an excellent flop for KK. We have an overpair and a backdoor draw to the second nut flush, and the only reasonable hand we could be behind to at the moment is JT. I play it exactly the same as hero. The only debatable part is what to do when the board pairs -- the pot is big enough that I don't think I could bet/fold, so I'm tempted to check/call hoping to induce a bluff on a scary card.

rannerboy
02-23-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The only reasonable hand we could be behind to at the moment is JT.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about 88, TT, JJ?

kenberman
02-23-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and the only reasonable hand we could be behind to at the moment is JT.

[/ QUOTE ]

at this level, you are behind to more holdings than that. Besides the obvious 88, TT, and JJ (all of which may not have re-raised PF), these three flop cards could mean various raggedy 2 pair's.

tiltaholic
02-23-2005, 12:01 PM
i like the flop cap.
good turn bet.
good river bet.
you can't fold to the river checkraise (unless you have a VERY strong read). enough % of the time this is a bluff or you win outright.

martinimagic
02-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I call the 3 bet on the flop. Good turn bet. He slowed down so he probably has J10. He may be thinking you have made trips, putting him behind. I am horrible at reads at this point, but I will stick my neck out. Check/call the river. What did he have?

mackthefork
02-23-2005, 12:49 PM
On drawy board like this I cap the flop, bet the turn and call down if he continues his aggresion on the turn, that river sucks though, I might check call, it sure sounds better than bet folding, although thats probably right (yuck).

Regards Mack

DyessMan89
02-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I would cap the flop, and call down after that.

thesharpie
02-23-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I call the 3 bet on the flop. Good turn bet. He slowed down so he probably has J10. He may be thinking you have made trips, putting him behind. I am horrible at reads at this point, but I will stick my neck out. Check/call the river. What did he have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on, JT for the boat on the river. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Seems like check call is the way to go on the river. If he was on a draw, he's not going to call my bet, but it might induce a bluff. On the other hand if I'm way behind it only costs me 1 bet.