PDA

View Full Version : ajs utg

emil3000
02-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Mr Son of a bitch opposing me is TAA, and seemingly fairly tricky postflop. I think he would threebet me with aq in this spot.

I raise UTG with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif, opponent in UTG+2 threebets, everyone folds, I call and we are two to the flop.

Flop is AxK /images/graemlins/heart.gifJx. I check, he bets, I call.

Turn is 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check, he bets I call.

River is a brick. Check, bet, call.

Anything I should have done different?

zephed56
02-23-2005, 07:50 AM
What's his pf 3-bet range? Or what do you put it on? Do you think he would 3-bet you with tens or nines?

If he folds a worse hand to a raise on the flop, then calling is the play here.

================================================== ==========

I'd raise the turn after picking up the flush draw because:
a) Two pair!
b) He is so close to showdown, so if he's behind with one pair, he still may pay you off
c) and you picked up more outs to the nuts

Of course, if you don't think he's getting frisky with you preflop then a call seems just fine to me.
================================================== =======

I'd bet the river since he might check it through with worse hands.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

xxxxx
02-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Way too passive with two pair. Raise the turn. Raise somewhere. Bet out.

spydog
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Way too passive with two pair. Raise the turn. Raise somewhere. Bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. UTG+2 3-betting a tight UTG raiser means trouble. TT+, AK and maybe AQs.

If he has AK, AA, KK, JJ he will destroy you with raises/reraises.

If he has TT/QQ, a raise anywhere will likely fold him.

If he has AQ, you will get 1 extra bet along the way.

Fat Nicky
02-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I edited my post after re-reading the hand.

the only think I do differently is bet the river

QTip
02-23-2005, 11:28 AM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm guessing that's a "Rounders" quote "Let's play some cards"

I probabably would have bet out on the flop and reraised....

but I like SpyDog's thoughts in this post...this is tough. I've had some of these tricky TAP reraise me with medium pairs like 88 as well.

QTip
02-23-2005, 11:29 AM
...and call a raise or lay it down?

xxxxx
02-23-2005, 11:29 AM
He has at least one Q and is going to call all the way down with his broadway draw. Worse case, you picked up outs on the turn with the flush draw.

Fat Nicky
02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
call a raise.

sfer
02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
For everyone who wants to go to war, give me a range of hands for the villain, what he will do with each hand, and what you want him to do with each hand.

Fat Nicky
02-23-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it, I don't see what hands we are beating that raise the river here.

QTip
02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Well..I'm not saying that I want to go to war, but I'm sure I would have on the flop in the heat of battle because I'm not too good at thinking on my feet yet...I get smart (I think) when I can look at a post for 30 minutes. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, I could see him having 6 hands of TT, 8 hands of AQ, 2 hands of AJs (maybe) that we win with.

TT: If I raise I imagine he folds

AQ - I think he's at least calling me down.

AJ - Again, he's probably going to at least call me down.

Of these, only AQ is +EV for us.

Question here:

If a Jack fell on the turn or river...do you go to war?

chief444
02-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I think this line is absolutely fine. I even check/call the river. On this board AQ will still probably bet the river for you but any other 3-betting hands that you beat will often fold if you lead out anyway.

chief444
02-23-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He has at least one Q

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sfer
02-23-2005, 11:46 AM
You don't think AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK/AQ/99/88 are possible holdings?

QTip
02-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Definitely, I was just listing the ones that we were winning against. I started to type medium pairs, but excluded them.

I had a TAP do that to me about a week ago. 3 bet me with 88, and I know he knew I was TA as well. Is this a pretty standard play? Unfortunately, this player caught his 8 as I caught my Ace with Big Slick and paid him off.

sfer
02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely, I was just listing the ones that we were winning against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's a good idea for mindlessly spewing with 2-pair when 2-pair might not be good.

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet me with 88, and I know he knew I was TA as well. Is this a pretty standard play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if the table is cooperative and if he thinks he has good control over you.

QTip
02-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Also, wanted to hear from you on the question of when you fill up with a Jack on the river. With this player, would you bet out, c/r, c/c?

QTip
02-23-2005, 11:56 AM
So...how would you have played it? Call down all the way?

jackdaniels
02-23-2005, 12:25 PM
I would say check/call the flop and check/raise the turn. If you get 3 bet on the turn, call and hope another heart falls - if it doesn't, check/fold as you are likely beat.

Since you raised pre-flop the 3 better has to put you on SOME hand. His 3 bet simply takes over the initiative and clears out the rest of the field. Check raising the turn will let you know right away if he is better than you - a re-raise means top 2 or set - but since you are drawing to the nut flush thats ok. He doesn't 3 bet the turn with anything less (aside from AJ which is unlikely). If you get called on the turn check/call river as you may be against AQ.

emil3000
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm guessing that's a "Rounders" quote "Let's play some cards"

[/ QUOTE ]¨

yeah, I just love teddy KGB's lines and more so the way john m delivers them. I've rewatched the two poker scenes with him a lot of times.

sfer
02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With this player, would you bet out, c/r, c/c?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to bet for fear of getting checked through. The interesting question is whether to 3-bet a raise.

emil3000
I am thinking about checkraising and folding to a threebet. That would be fun, and maybe smart as well.

QTip
That makes two of us..."You can't belieeeve what just fell"

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

QTip
02-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Like sfer said, I would HATE IT if this got checked through. I think I would bet and then just call a raise... I can't imagine a raise without something that beats at least trips. If he has something that beats trips here, we're either losing or chopping. Whereas, he would most likely call with AK.

emil3000
02-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I would never ever threebet a raise.

emil3000
02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
He had AA. Not much to be done. Still not sure whether or not I want to bet the river. If I would I would surely fold to a raise.

QTip
02-23-2005, 01:15 PM
So..I guess we can be glad that we didn't fill up with Jacks.

shant
02-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I like this line, and I think you can definitely bet/fold-to-raise the river.