PDA

View Full Version : How does the American Idol betting thing work?

Bytestream
02-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Ive read some of the posts and was just wondering if someone could post a brief synopsis of how this works and what a good basic strategy is.

I watch the show with my fiance because shes into it. I know it would be a lot more entertaining for me with a couple bucks riding on it, and being able to "manage" my "team" like I was playing salary cap football or something.

How much milage can you get out of $50-$100 bankroll for this? Whats the smallest wager amounts in $$ you can make?
How does the buy/sell thing work?

GrannyMae
02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
it is very early to pick a winner bytestream. now might be a good time to go for a male/female bet.

but if you are ready to pick a player, open an account at wsex and go to the idol section.

let's say the person you like is listed as

sell 3
buy 5

that means you can buy shares in this performer for $5 a share (so yes, you do not need a big budget or outlay). if the performer wins, the share will be worth $100 at the end. if your performer loses, it will be worth zero.

at any point during the season you can sell your shares for the figure that says "sell". the share prices will go up and down each week. when someone is eliminated, their share price drops instantly to zero obviously.

that's a basic, simplistic rundown to get you started. there is 4 months of shows, so unless you see someone you really like, you may want to wait a couple of more performances before deciding.

Bytestream
02-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks Granny.

I like Bo, don't think theres a chance of him winning, but should make the top 12. Would you think that the $4 price will jump enough if that was the case to warrant a few small bets?

Heres my #1 overall pick - Carrie Underwood- Shes the top price now, so its no steal or easy money. But heres why I think shes it: Shes definately good and I don't think anyone would argue that shes a lock for the final 12.

Kelly Clarkson - Texas
Rueben Studdard - Alabama
Clay Aiken - North Carolina
Fantasia Barino - North Carolina
Diana Degarmo - Georgia

See the pattern? Looks like the southern states really support thier "Idols" the most. So Carries from Oklahoma, and thats not exactly the dirty south, but she definately has a southern charm AND they are pushing her to be the "country singer". This girl is going to make it to the final three without a doubt. How much is that worth?

Is there a way to get a good bonus at WSEX? and what are the requirements (could it be cleared betting Idol?

Adde
02-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Granny, I hear you're 2 for 2 on this. You bet big on AI, or is it more of recreational gambling to spicyf it up?

Adde

rusty JEDI
02-23-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I like Bo, don't think theres a chance of him winning, but should make the top 12. Would you think that the $4 price will jump enough if that was the case to warrant a few small bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really do like both Bo and Constantine and think they could both potentially go far but not win.

When it comes down to it the Judges have a lot of say in who wins. I know its totally based on fan votes but they have pull especially Simon.

Now if i remember correctly during world Idol the Belgium representative was a rocker type. Simon was very against this and I think when it comes down to 6 or less he will really start up on this is pop idol and not rock idol. When the votes start to get spread between less contestants this will hit those two hard.

rJ

Art Vandelay
02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't know whether to be impressed at your breakdown of American Idol or disturbed.

Of course, I don't watch the show so what in the hell would I know. All I know was when Ruben won I was living in Birmingham (his hometown) and that place was nuts for the guy.

La Brujita
02-23-2005, 09:22 PM
What does the plus number mean for wins, like Carrie is +316. I should have jumped into this sooner I would have bought her before last night's show.

Edit to add is there any sign up bonus?

rusty JEDI
02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What does the plus number mean for wins, like Carrie is +316. I should have jumped into this sooner I would have bought her before last night's show.

[/ QUOTE ]

That number is just a representation in moneyline form. It is for those who are more familiar with regular sportsbetting and not futures style markets to understand the value of a given bet.

rJ

La Brujita
02-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Ah cool, that makes sense I should have thought of that. I might just jump in (a little sucess in poker can be dangerous).

GrannyMae
02-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Is there a way to get a good bonus at WSEX?

nada!! you have to deposit minimum $300 and a friend gets $50. so it is a tell a friend, but no bonus for you. i guess there are codes out there, but none i have seen.

sad

GrannyMae
02-23-2005, 11:34 PM
i put about 4k in last year total with some side plays etc. and did very well on that. it is not peanuts, but NOT spicyF maniacal fool.

how is he?? tell him to get his ass in here and say hello if you bump into him

Bytestream
02-23-2005, 11:34 PM
you wanna be my friend?

astroglide
02-23-2005, 11:53 PM
he's posting paintings in OOT