PDA

View Full Version : Good Gaming Computer Specs?

dealer_toe
02-23-2005, 05:05 AM
I want to start playin more games on my PC and get away from PS2 a little more. What kind of things make up a good gaming computer? My processor is 2.66ghz, I have 512MB of ram. Don't know my video card specs off hand.

bd8802
02-23-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to start playin more games on my PC and get away from PS2 a little more. What kind of things make up a good gaming computer? My processor is 2.66ghz, I have 512MB of ram. Don't know my video card specs off hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe think about adding another 512MB of RAM. I have 1GB in my machine and you really notice the difference with some applications. But this is not required, 512MB should run any game good. Your processor should be just fine.

The biggest thing is your video card for gaming, so in you description of you system you left out the most important aspect. I have a ATI Radeon 9800PRO that i picked up for around 200 bucks. It runs every game (Half Life 2, Doom3, World of Warcraft) that I throw at it awesome at max resolution for my monitor (1600x1200).

Some games have very specific requirements for video cards. So my suggestion is to look at the required specs for those games and see if you need to upgrade or if your card will work.

/bd

dealer_toe
02-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I found my specs sheet for my computer. It says "Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics." I think that is my video card, nothing else seems like it could be.

Also I want to set up dual montiors, am I going to be able to add another video card or do I need to get a dual input or output (don't know what you call it) video card for that?

BusterStacks
02-23-2005, 03:50 PM
You can either add an additional video card or get one with dual outputs. Nearly all of the gaming cards these days have this feature, but you will need to invest the money in one before you can get into today's games. For the around 200$ you can get the 9800pro, but you can also get the 6600GT which is a better card.

dealer_toe
02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I saw a post in the zoo about an integrated video card. Am I screwed with this? or is there a way I can have it changed?

swede123
02-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Usually the integrated graphics cards are crap when it comes to most of today's games. Most motherboards with integrated graphics don't have a AGP slot for an external video card. If this is the case you are basically screwed as far as upgrading your computer and will be much better off buying a whole new system. Since you can continue using your monitor and peripherals (speakers, keyboard etc) you should be able to find a pretty good system for $500 or less now a days though.

Swede

bd8802
02-23-2005, 04:07 PM
The integrated video will not be that solid for gaming, or dual monitor support, i would assume. Integrated video usually shares memory with your system memory causing a drain on resourses. It is always preferable to have a stand alone video card IMO.

Your best bet will be to get one of the two cards listed here. I prefer ATI. I can not speak to the GeForce 6600GT as the main benchmark site i frequent (tomshardware.com) does not have the 6600GT listed, but i am pretty sure that a casual user will not notice a difference in a couple frames per second.

The only thing to worry about is what type of expansion slots your system has. The cards that we are talking about here require an AGP slot. It should be universal on systems these days, but sometimes when you get a system with integrated video the manufacturer will cut corners and take out expansion opprotunities. (I worked for Compaq for years, so I always warn people to check their systems for compatability before going out and buying stuff)

Like both of us said before, you are looking around a 200 dollar purchase, and it should last you for the forseeable future.

/bd

BusterStacks
02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
I sold my 9800p to get the 6600gt. 6600 is faster.

Freakin
02-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Get two SATA 10k Raptor drives and stripe them. It will r00l.

B

bd8802
02-23-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw a post in the zoo about an integrated video card. Am I screwed with this? or is there a way I can have it changed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly screwed. If you have documentation on your system, look for expansion port information. Hopefully you have an AGP port on your motherboard.

There is such a thing as a PCI Express video card, I have not really looked into them much. But if you find out you do not have an AGP slot, i will do a little research for you.

EDIT: Nevermind on PCIe. It is a totally new bus. Your system will not have the capibilities. Lets hope for an AGP slot.

/bd

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
1GB RAM.

I have a 9800 PRO also and it's a damn fine card. However if you find benchmarks that say the 6600 is faster, go with it.

Edit -

Here's a pic

http://www.bradleyt.com/poker/c.gif

astroglide
02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
striping has basically no effect on single-user performance

dealer_toe
02-23-2005, 04:54 PM
The only thing I see about AGP is what I posted earlier about the Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics.

dealer_toe
02-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I guess I'm going to be lookin for a new system, as I was going to for my g/f anyways. Now I'll just get a new system and give her this one. How cheap can I get a system that will have Dual monitor capabilities and be able to play any games on it? And would it be cheaper for me to build it. I work with some RIT students that can help me out with building it, if its actually worth it.

Freakin
02-23-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
striping has basically no effect on single-user performance

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes their balls swell & hang lower.

Freakin

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 05:29 PM
If you build it you can get a good system for under $700 - pretty near top of the line except video card, no OS, no monitor.

My rig in the pic above was only $500 - keyboard and toy cars included.

wh1t3bread
02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Commodore 64 and Oregon Trail is all you need. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nef
02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
My last video card was a 9800 pro, I recently changed platforms(intel to amd) and "upgraded" to a 6600gt pcie. Its a little faster in the newest games(doom3 and HL2) but the difference is no big deal in most games. More like a sideways move. Compared to my 9800pro at max overclock after volt mods the stock 6600gt is the tiniest bit better on most benchmarks.

1 GB RAM is a good idea. Also, do not buy a celeron processor.