PDA

View Full Version : Wrong play on the flop... I think.

wegs the wegs
02-23-2005, 04:08 AM
I played against this villian for a little while now and have most of his betting patterns down. In this hand I never felt like I was behind. However I think that I played the flop very wrong and did not get the most money that I could have. Villian is a loose aggresive player that had checkraised several times during the course of the night and usually ended up showing TPGK. Tell me how do play this one...

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($25)
Button ($39.75)
SB ($81.20)
BB ($25)
UTG ($108.60)
MP1 ($74.15)
Hero ($39.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($8.25) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP1 calls $4.

The reason that I bet half the pot was to get him to call, he would most likely be scared off with anything larger. However the checkraise somewhat surprised me, I feel that he wanted me to think that he had an overpair or a set. However if he had either of those the bet would have been much more.

Now should I have simply called his checkraise and hope that he tries to fire on the turn and then go over the top (unless a J comes)? I really don't like my raise back at him because I think it scared him off on the turn.

Turn: ($32.25) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $24.15 (All-In)</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $56.40

Not as much? Another $4? $10? I still am sure that I am miles ahead here. AJ, KJ are most likely from this guy. With a little more trickery I think I could of doubled up nicely. What should I have done?

bingledork
02-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't think you should be upset with this. You made some nice cash off of your AA. AA is not a great hand to double up with, unless your opponent has KK. Often times you'll be doubling him up.

The flop is perfect for you. If you think minraises are the only way to keep him on the hook, then the flop play is fine. The turn card obviously didn't help him, so you're still way ahead. I'd milk him with a $10 turn bet. That doesn't give him the odds to chase his 5-outer, if he does have a jack.