PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Vaction - Recommendations

BonJoviJones
09-09-2002, 06:30 PM
In a couple weeks I'll be heading to las vegas for two or three days. I won't be gambling (much, anyway), but I wanted to hear what the hip things to do are. What sort of deals should I be looking for? Is there any benefit getting a hotel on the strip? Mostly I want to keep things affordable, but I'd like to do one huge grandiose expenditure (this is a romantic getatway with my gf).

It'll be mid-october if that matters.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dynasty
09-09-2002, 08:06 PM
If it's a romantic getaway, I think you want to spend some money on a good hotel. Skimping on a cheap room sets the wrong tone. The new mega-resorts on the Strip (since '88) are Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, New York New York, MGM Grand, Monte Carlo, Bellagio, Alladin, Paris, Mirage, and the Venietien. I'd reccomend one of these since some of them aren't that expensive. I believe you can get a good room at several of these places for the $65-$95 price range. The Paris sounds romantic and it has an excellent location in the middle of the Strip (why stay anywhere but the Strip).

I'd plan on having dinner in at least on very good restaurant. I'm sure you'll get several reccomendations in this area.

Clarkmeister
09-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Get a room at the Venetian and dinner at Delmonico's located within. Throw in a spa at Canyon Ranch there and you'll be a hero.

HDPM
09-10-2002, 12:23 AM
That would fit the criterion of one huge grandiose expenditure. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously, its good advice, but not for the faint of credit card. As I said in my recent trip report, the Venetian can cause guys to heat up the credit card while waiting for their wives at the spa. Pretty soon we'll maybe be able to afford it too. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
09-10-2002, 02:14 AM
True, though if you are savvy, you can get rooms there for $99-119 at the right times.

If he has to only pick one thing of the 3 I listed at the Venetian, its not close - do the dinner at Delmonico's.

snakehead
09-10-2002, 04:36 PM
I agree the Venetian is the best, and I've never paid over $149 for a room there. october should be a good month to get a deal. even if you have to pay $200 on the weekend, the weekday rate should offset it enough to still be cheaper than bellagio or ceaser's.

don't forget a ride on the canal, and the impromtu shows in the mall.