PDA

View Full Version : Card Collectors?

siccjay
02-23-2005, 01:52 AM
I used to collect cards like a champ but kinda just stopped. I been buying a few packs here and there lately but I don't really know whats what anymore. I've been buying Bowman Chrome and Topps Chrome series 1 baseball and also some Chrome Basketball.

Is chrome still the way to go. Anyone got any websites I can check out or anything.

siccjay
02-23-2005, 02:46 AM
jesus 3rd page already, someone has to collect

IggyWH
02-23-2005, 02:58 AM
I used to help run www.sportscardforum.com (http://www.sportscardforum.com) which is THE online trading site. The owner sold the site a month ago though and I didn't like the new owner so I retired my admin position.

I haven't collected in probably 6 months since I first started playing poker. Chrome is still one of the hotter cards out there that are "reasonably" priced.

You can look up single card values for free on Beckett.com if you didn't know.

MEbenhoe
02-23-2005, 03:12 AM
I used to be a big time collector. I still have a massive collection with some really cool stuff.

IggyWH
02-23-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a big time collector. I still have a massive collection with some really cool stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, used to probably doesn't mean crap in todays market. I'm 24 and I collected since I was 6 through like 14. That's late 80's through middle 90's.

I then started collecting again when I was about 20 and found out my thousands and thousands of dollars of cards were pretty worthless. Late 80's through mid 90's were so mass-produced, they are worthless anymore.

Add to that any insert from those times are now worthless also and no one collects sets anymore, it was really a buzzkill getting back into the hobby. It is a business, no longer a hobby.

MEbenhoe
02-23-2005, 03:23 AM
Luckily I was very wise in my collecting days. I stayed away from all that overproduced junk and inserts and instead collected mostly rookie cards, hard to find (read not overproduced) cards, and autographs. I still check values here and there, and most of my collection has held its value. When I say I have some really good stuff, that means stuff like my Mint graded Montana Rookie card and my Mickey Mantle autographed baseball.

siccjay
02-23-2005, 03:31 AM
I did the same thing. I have some decent stuff but I have TONS AND TONS OF CRAP.

IggyWH
02-23-2005, 03:34 AM
Good stuff...

I sold pretty much everything I own except some things I wanted to keep for display. My old man has a pretty sick collection. His buddy jokes with him saying he better not stand close to the top of steps because I might push him down to inherit the collection.

He's got a ton of nice old cards and great auto'd pieces. My favorite is a 1964 Yankees team signed ball. I'm not a Yankee fan but just imagine how rare an item like that is.

We had 2 of them and sold the worse of the 2 on ebay about 6 years ago before memorabilia really took off. We got $2,000 for the ball so I can only imagine how much this would bring in if we sold it. It's not certified, but my father is pretty much a Mantle auto expert and has had people look at the ball and they all say it's good. Here's the sweetspot :

http://img234.exs.cx/img234/99/00000158ne.th.jpg (http://img234.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img234&image=00000158ne.jpg)

Sadly, Yogi's on it with Mick. People say it would be worth a lot more if it was just Mick on the sweetspot.

I forget who it is, but one of the Yankees on the ball is also what makes it so special. Apparently, he rarely signed as he was a dick so very few pieces exist of his.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
I still collect, but mostly just vintage unopened material, I stay away from the new stuff. Not really sure about what sites would be good to look it. I'd browse through a Beckett or Tuff Stuff though.

Or just go to eBay - see what the price of certain boxes is going for.

(Of course this thread is just another excuse to post this again:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/79packs.jpg