PDA

View Full Version : In need of a job, any interesting/out of the ordinary ideas?

PokerDork
02-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Here's my deal. I'm a college student and for the past year have supported myself by playing poker online and in person. Anyway, my bills are starting to accumulate, and I'm still winning, just not winning enough. Anyway, I've decided to get a job, but I don't want to do anything like run a cash register, deliver pizzas, or stock shelves. So, I figured I'd throw it out to the 2+2 community to see if anyone had an idea for some type of work I could do that would be interesting. Not looking for a career, just for something to do for the next couple years or so. Also, I'm in Milwaukee, so any possible specific suggestions would be cool. Hope you guys can help.

- Jason

Edge34
02-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Male prostitution.

Seriously, are you above delivering pizzas or stocking shelves? As a college student, unless you've got some kind of hookup, you're not gonna find much better....

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 02:02 AM
What kind of skills you got? I'm in Milwaukee and work for a web design company.

PokerDork
02-23-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Male prostitution.

Seriously, are you above delivering pizzas or stocking shelves? As a college student, unless you've got some kind of hookup, you're not gonna find much better....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. In fact the two afformentioned jobs were the two jobs I worked last summer, and I actually enjoyed delivering pizzas. I just need a little bit of extra income and want to try something different, and I'm simply too uncreative to think up anything better, and I guess you are too /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

captZEEbo1
02-23-2005, 02:04 AM
I don't know how you can't make more playing poker than any undergrad temp job...

Summer jobs, you can probably do painting or construction.

usmfan
02-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Waiting tables and tending bar are the ultimate college jobs. Especially tending bar. I loved it.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 02:10 AM
For the last 2 summers I worked in the mortgage industry, for TCF Bank at HQ in Minneapolis to be specific. That took one hell of an in though, as my (now-ex) girlfriend's mom was the manager of a division and took me on without even having to interview. Kept the job even after she left me /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Made 10 bucks an hour, which isn't bad for temp summer work. Its not that I'm not creative, its just that there isn't much out there (aside from construction and such) that wouldn't be stocking shelves, working a cash register, or delivering pizzas.

You could always work nights if there's like a FedEx or UPS place around, they pay pretty decent to load trucks at night, and there's tuition reimbursement too.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Waiting tables and tending bar are the ultimate college jobs. Especially tending bar. I loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually planning on applying at some of the local watering holes. I don't think anything would kick more ass as a college kid than to pretty much run the show and get paid to help people get wasted... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MEbenhoe
02-23-2005, 02:13 AM
hey to a fellow milwaukee guy.

Seriously, there are so many great home games around the milwaukee area. Just check out some of those websites that list home games. You should be able to make a decent amount from those.

Other than that, I'm looking around for a job here and there for this summer, which I'll be spending in La Crosse. Right now I'm looking at working for a sorta minor league type baseball team thats in La Crosse.

PokerDork
02-23-2005, 02:43 AM
hmm.... Perhaps, I should've stated it more directly. Recently, my bills, expenses, etc. have been growing faster than my bankroll, and I'm looking for a stable source of income so I can continue to move up in limits, but also so that I don't have to stress when I hit a 150+ BB downswing (over the past month).

BradleyT
02-23-2005, 02:44 AM
Did you miss my post?

peachy
02-23-2005, 04:25 AM
i worked behind a bar...was still around a ton of my friends and made good money

manpower
02-23-2005, 04:42 AM
I've been tutoring at my college and it's actually pretty sweet. You get to meet the occasional cutie and I submit my own hours, which allows me to round up now and again /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Caruso329
02-23-2005, 04:52 AM
I also was looking for a job and thought that maybe being an EMT or Ambulance Driver would be interesting. Not too much training to go through I think.

housenuts
02-23-2005, 05:27 AM
be an usher at brewers games.

[censored]
02-23-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am actually planning on applying at some of the local watering holes. I don't think anything would kick more ass as a college kid than to pretty much run the show and get paid to help people get wasted... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is better than working Friday night and serving alcohol to all your friends while they are out having fun.