PDA

View Full Version : Bush and the Press in Europe

Broken Glass Can
02-23-2005, 01:48 AM
These stories were entertaining to me...

The early ended Press Conference,
The repercusions of the "Old Europe" remark.

Bush Prematurely Closes News Conference (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=518&u=/ap/20050222/ap_on_re_eu/charming_bush&printer=1)

President Bush jumped the gun Tuesday, closing a news conference before his podium partner had a chance to speak his fill.

Bush has a habit of running news conferences, directing and cutting off questioning regardless of whether he's on his own soil or not. Even entreaties by a host to extend sessions aren't usually successful, as Colombian President Alvaro Uribe found during Bush's November visit to Cartagena.

But this time, with a concerted effort under way to court European allies, the president looked for a way to undo any damage.

Bush had just finished a lengthy answer to a question about how he would improve trans-Atlantic relations in his second term. "Thank you all very much," Bush concluded, turning as if to leave the podium.

But NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer wasn't quite ready to wrap things up — especially since the reporter had specifically directed a question to him. "Let me ..." he started to say.

"I'm sorry," Bush said — twice — then turned to humor to get himself out of the jam.

He pretended the NATO leader had flashed a universal hand motion signaling he didn't want to answer.

"You don't know what this means?" Bush joked to reporters, giving his ear lobe a quick tug. "That means 'end the press conference.'"

De Hoop Scheffer went along. "I signaled to the president this was too difficult a question," he said.

But he took his chance to answer, nonetheless. After a several-sentence statement, de Hoope Scheffer concluded the session with the customary thank-you.

Still, Bush couldn't resist having the last word.

"Now we're finished," he said.

___

Speaking of charm, Bush was a master at spinning a question about lingering European doubts about him into the conclusion he is being warmly received on his continental tour.

"Thank you. I appreciate it. First time I've been called charming in a while," Bush said to laughter.

Problem is, the reporter had said just the opposite.

"The wider European audience — it won't be a surprise for you — is still skeptical about the policies of your administration, often being considered as being dictating or unilateral," the reporter said, continuing to ask Bush how those policies might change after his "major charm offensive."

But Bush persisted in seeing the question — and Europe's views of him — his way.

"Now is the time to unify for the sake of peace," he said. "And I believe that message — forget the charm part — I believe that message is a message that people can understand. And they're beginning to see that the strategy is working."

___

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld stoked anger before the Iraq war by saying countries that opposed the U.S. invasion represented "old Europe."

Rumsfeld tried to make up for his remark when he visited Germany earlier this month. "That was old Rumsfeld," he joked.

A reporter started to ask Bush about the old and the new Rumsfeld. Interrupting the questioner, Bush said, "Same old Bush." People in the room broke out laughing.

Later, de Hoop Scheffer got in on that joke, too. "I could start, by adding, of course, it's young Bush and young de Hoop Scheffer, who are talking here," he said. "I mean, that goes without saying."

___

First lady Laura Bush went ahead of her husband to Germany but declined her father-in-law's recommendation she make a dramatic entrance that certainly would have upstaged President Bush's Brussels appearances.

Speaking to troops and their families from an aircraft hangar at Ramstein Air Base, Mrs. Bush said she was delighted to be at the home of the 435th Air Base Wing, the 86th Airlift Wing and the 38th Combat Support Wing.

"I told my father-in-law that I was coming here today and he suggested that I make a grand entrance by parachute," she said, drawing laughs. "I told him I thought I'd wait for my 80th birthday."

The former president, George H.W. Bush, is a well-known skydiving fan, most recently jumping out of a plane last June in celebration of his 80th birthday.

Mrs. Bush also offered knowing sympathy to the families who put up with the long absences, frequent moves and other sacrifices that go along with having a member of the military in their midst.

"I know a little bit about having your life turned upside down because the person you love wants to serve the country he loves," she said.