PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Match Play Championships in the rain?

NLfool
02-23-2005, 12:42 AM
in unpredictable conditions I'm sure there is bound to be some value bets. I just haven't kept up with golf much

ttleistdci
02-23-2005, 12:48 AM
It's tough to bet against Tiger in match play. I checked this morning, and he was 5-1. Might not be a bad play, especially if it's in the rain where driving distance is important.

02-23-2005, 12:57 AM
I took Nick Price over Tiger at +370. Tiger is great. But is he 4X as good as Nick Price in one 18-hole match? Crazy stuff happens in these match play tourneys. I'll take a shot on a near 4-1.

I also took Cejka +160 over S. Garcia. I can't explain other than I thought Garcia at -200 was too high.

eric5148
02-23-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I took Nick Price over Tiger at +370. Tiger is great. But is he 4X as good as Nick Price in one 18-hole match? Crazy stuff happens in these match play tourneys. I'll take a shot on a near 4-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Playing one round of golf, especially match play, is like playing 5 hours of poker. The variance is quite high. No way would any tour pro beat another tour pro 80% of the time.

The only effect rain has, is on the players with back problems. They have to sit around in the cool weather all day, which stiffens the muscles. I wouldn't bet on Couples or Love.

NLfool
02-23-2005, 04:05 AM
at bet365 you can bet on who wins the bracket. Is Darren Clarke playing so well that he is the favorite over Goosen, Weir etc. As of now I'm staying away from the Mickelson, Vijay, Woods brackets but yes I've got to agree I don't think anyone can be that huge a favorite in a match play match, in soggy rainy conditions (though I'm unsure of the weather report for Thurs morning)