PDA

View Full Version : Dumb emulator question

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 12:09 AM
OK, I downloaded an emulator to play NES games. Where the hell do I get the games from? I'm so confused.

IndieMatty
02-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Mucho spyware on these sites (hence the google) so tread carefully.
ROM Sites (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-02,GGLD:en&q=NES+Rom)

holeplug
02-23-2005, 12:19 AM
There used to be a zip file floating around the peer to peer sites that had like 500 NES games and an emulator all wrapped together. I'd do some searching for that.

PhatTBoll
02-23-2005, 12:22 AM
vimm.net is a good site to download ROMs

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks, I'm dumb.

Found a site, was playing baseball Stars already. Goodbye productivity...

captZEEbo1
02-23-2005, 12:39 AM
anyone wants a zip file of about 800 or so games (about 81mb), pm me...that way you won't have to download all the games individually, which is a hassle.

AngryCola
02-23-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone wants a zip file of about 800 or so games (about 81mb), pm me...that way you won't have to download all the games individually, which is a hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to offer the same thing, but I'm glad you have it taken care of. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Freakin
02-23-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to offer the same thing, but I'm glad you have it taken care of. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 12:15 PM
BUMP!!!!

Games I played last night:

MegaMan 2 - can't remember which order you're supposed to take on the bosses.

Tecmo Bowl - Only played one quarter, Willie Gault with two long TD's.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - Lost to Great Tiger, because my USB controller sucks, and I couldn't block consistently when he does his magic punch thing.

Kid Icarus - Probably the one NES game I never beat growing up. Frickin' impossible.

And the best of all....

TRACK AND FIELD!!! - Forgot how to do the high jump and screwed up my attempts. I can still shoot some skeet though.

I can't believe I didn't follow up on this emulator thing earlier. My wife came into the room last night when I was playing Dragon Warrior, took one look at the screen, and said "oh great, what the heck is that? Is that Zelda?" She's such a newb.

IndieMatty
02-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Does the emulator let you save (for RPGs and Tecmo?)

Which one did you get?

Aicirt
02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes you can save. Most emulators have an option like 'save state'. Its nice for RPGs because now you can save at anytime you want whereas in many RPGs you had to be at an inn or some other place in order to save. Or like in Zelda you had to die. With emulators, you dont have to worry about any of that.

Aicirt

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the emulator let you save (for RPGs and Tecmo?)

Which one did you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it lets you save. I hit save on a couple of games, but didn't try to reload them later, so I don't know for sure.

I downloaded Jnes. Then I found a site with the ROM's, and downloaded a few. I just drag the rom file onto the Jnes Icon, and it starts the game.

kenberman
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
what kind of USB controller do you have?
Not having a good controller would frustrate me. Can anyone recommened a good one?

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I told you man, it's peer gynt!

Luckily I discovered NES emulators after I had safely graduated college.

nolanfan34
02-23-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Game Pad Pro? I think that's it. The directional pad is fine for today's newer computer games where you can move in any direction, but for the old Nintendo games - where you only move up/down/left/right - I'm discovering that it's not very precise. Of course I may have ruined the thing playing NHL 2004.

SomethingClever
02-23-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not having a good controller would frustrate me. Can anyone recommened a good one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an old Gravis serial controller that's almost exactly like the original NES ones.

I don't know if you can find 'em like that anymore.