PDA

View Full Version : First Hand Post

coloradoc
02-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Greetings to all, this is my first post. Table is very loose passive. About 45% seeing the flop. Did not see any pre-flop raises for almost two orbits.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Flop: (13 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero ??????

Should I use the free card play right now or is there a reason for me to bet? Comments on the flop raise also please.

davelin
02-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Not sure if I love the flop raise but with all of those callers on the flop, the chance you're ahead is not very high. That said, take the free card IMO.

cold_cash
02-22-2005, 11:36 PM
I would just call the flop. With all the callers inbetween, all you do with a raise is tie people to the pot when you don't want to.

Also, betting the turn isn't going to win the pot for you, and I seriously doubt your Ace high is best.

caggin
02-22-2005, 11:56 PM
I like the flop raise, to try for a free card. Which answers the other question: check the turn.

AngelicPenguin
02-23-2005, 01:00 AM
I probably would call the flop and fold the turn UI, but seeing as how you played it, I would definately take the free card. No way you are driving them all out, and you don't want to charge yourself to try to suck out on THEM.

droolie
02-23-2005, 01:18 AM
I call this flop planning to fold UI on the turn. You really don't want to get three bet here and you're almost closing the action and will only drive out SB at most and he might have folded anyway. Taking the free card is a must on the turn.

GrunchCan
02-23-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't really get the flop raise. If you were to the left of the flop bettor I could possibly see it for protection. But why in this spot? I like calling better. If you were trying for a free card, there are so many opponents in the pot and so many overcards to come to the T, you will not succeed often.

That said, you did actually win a free card here.

Now, given that the only possible reason you would raise the flop is to win a free card, and given that you won the free card on the turn, and given that you haven't yet improved, I wonder: why on earth wouldn't you take it?

If you were thinking you could muscle your way out of this pot, you bluff too much. Maybe way too much. It might even be a big leak in your game.

Edit: And welcome to the forum. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit again: The reason I say "the only possible reason to raise the flop is to win a free card" is becasue it would be better to raise on the turn if you are raising to protect. Your flop raise offers the first opponent 1:9.5, and isn't going to protect you from anything. Even then, a turn raise is going to offer around 1:7, which is still not so bad. I don't see a protection raise coming in to play on this hand.