PDA

View Full Version : Value in not capping AA/KK preflop?

Belok
02-22-2005, 11:06 PM
A thought came to mind while i was playing....

Early position with AA, you raise and get reraised.

Would calling the reraise conceal your hand enough to extract more than an extra half bet after the flop? I think it could, but i havent played AA enough like that to know...

Thoughts?

private joker
02-22-2005, 11:13 PM
No. It's better to get the extra small bet now, before he has a chance to fold. If the flop doesn't hit him, he won't give a lot of action anyway (say he has AQs and the flop is low garbage of the wrong suit). And if it does hit him, you capping won't change a lot of how he plays the hand.

jzpiano14
02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Depends on my read, if it is a super tight player, then I always cap, but I think if it is your Ultra Agressive LAG then I think you could gain more by just smooth calling, this being heads up situation only, otherwise CAP ALWAYS!

The-Matador
02-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Depends on the player and other people in the pot. Do not let anyone tell you to always do one thing or the other. That's bad poker and fuzzy thinking.

mtdoak
02-23-2005, 12:07 AM
If the hand is heads up...yes, there is some value in concealing. However, if its 3 way or more, always cap.

sthief09
02-23-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the player and other people in the pot. Do not let anyone tell you to always do one thing or the other. That's bad poker and fuzzy thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, though it's rarely correct to do it if others are in the pot.

WillMagic
02-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Heads up against a tricky player the play has some worth. However, as soon as you add a third player you are almost always better off capping.

Will

Belok
02-23-2005, 05:45 AM
I forgot to mention that this would only apply in a heads up situation...

The way I see it, it seems like the tight players would be better to conceal it against a tight player.... If you've got AA up against a tight player who reraised you, he's most likely got AK AKs AQs KK QQ or JJ. Cap it preflop and he's scared of AA. But if he happens to have QQ or KK and it ends up being overpair vs overpair, I think you could easily extract an extra big bet or two in a situation like that.
Or even if its AA/KK vs AK and the AK doesnt hit, if the opponent is the type who likes to follow through with a missed premium you could most likely (check)raise the turn for the BB.