PDA

View Full Version : Unsecured wireless network

Freakin
02-22-2005, 08:30 PM
So i'm sitting in my friends boat docked in Downtown Kirkland browsing the internet from an unsecured wireless connection. I checked their sercurity (something I usually do) and they have none at all. I browsed to their router (which is set for the default IP range) and logged in with the default password. Not only do they have a complete lack of security for their local wireless, but they have the HTTP remote access configuration turned on. So anyone on the internet can browse to their IP address and log in to their router/VPN. I've been feeling like a good samaritian lately (I even went so far as to email Pat about the PT crack I found) and want to help these people prevent potential damage. What should I do? Can I use a standard linksys router to forward to a page w/ instructions? Do I have any responsibility? Would anyone else desire to help them?

Freakin

CORed
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Delete every file you can and then leave a text file that explains why you were able to do this. Of course, if their IT people are that incompetent, they probably don't have any backups.

BusterStacks
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
I'd say leave it, don't do anything to discourage free internet access.

Pinga
02-22-2005, 09:29 PM
People have been prosecuted for trying to be a nice guy; don't just drop them an email.

You sound smart enough to figure out how to send a truly anonymous message if you feel strongly about helping.
--
Pinga

underaged
02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
If you check the wireless networks around my apartment complex you'll find one called "Sexy Girls". My friend logged on and was able to browse the net.

Freakin
02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
CORed:

To clarify, this is a home on Comcast, not a business with backups.

Buster:

I'm all for free wireless, but I think people are much more likely to offer it willingly if they believe it is secure. All it's gonna take is some punk kid deleting their files.

Freakin

Sully
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
This is me. I have had a wireless home Internet connection through Comcast for about three months, and haven't gotten around to activating the security. I have a lot of personal stuff on my computer, and could really get screwed if the wrong person got in there.

I know it isn't that difficult, but have no idea where to start. Care to be a good samaritan and help me out?

I do have Norton Internet security enabled, but when I look at my connections, it says "linksys" - unsecured wireless network.

cjromero
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a home wireless network and am not very PC savvy. How do I go about securing the network given by lack of PC knowledge?

StevieG
02-22-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I know it isn't that difficult, but have no idea where to start. Care to be a good samaritan and help me out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so hard. About.com has a nice article (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm).

The most important thing you can do from the list is turn on whatever security you can (128 bit WEP or WPA), change default password for your router, change the SSID of your system.

Making the SSID unpublished and using MAC address control is also nice, but somewhat easy to foil.

All of these things are likely doable today with your hardware. If we knew what your hardware was we could give more tips.

Freakin
02-23-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so hard. About.com has a nice article (http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm).

The most important thing you can do from the list is turn on whatever security you can (128 bit WEP or WPA), change default password for your router, change the SSID of your system.

Making the SSID unpublished and using MAC address control is also nice, but somewhat easy to foil.

All of these things are likely doable today with your hardware. If we knew what your hardware was we could give more tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since About.com has already given good tips, I'll tell you how to access your router. Open your browser, and type in 192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work, type in 192.168.0.1. Those are the two defaults that linksys typically uses (sometimes 192.168.15.1). It will ask you for username/password, linksys typically uses "Admin" and "Admin". Follow about.com's tips for what to do. At a minimum, change the SSID & enable your encryption. Also, do a search in Windows help for turning off file & printer sharing.

Freakin