PDA

View Full Version : Pop Quiz

Dean
02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Or think of this settling a friendly argument..

You are in the BB with 75o (playing NLHE). UTG bets 4x the BB and 3 others call before it gets to you. So now there are 4 people (3 have you covered in chips) in a pot that has reached 17BB, do you make the call or fold? Obviously, please tell me why you'd call or fold.

RiverDood
02-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Fold.

This table is so weirdly loose/passive that everyone must be on Quaaludes. No raisers? No all-ins? There will be lots of chances to shake money from the middle players. I'll wait for a better hand.

mmcd
02-22-2005, 08:58 PM
How deep is the game?

>150bb definate fold

<350bb definate call

In between, meh.

HopeydaFish
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You are in the BB with 75o (playing NLHE). UTG bets 4x the BB and 3 others call before it gets to you. So now there are 4 people (3 have you covered in chips) in a pot that has reached 17BB, do you make the call or fold? Obviously, please tell me why you'd call or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold. You almost certainly have the worst hand going in and at best the second worst position. These are the types of hands that fish play to "protect the blinds". You almost certainly won't flop a monster, and then will either have to walk away from your 4BB bet or will have to dump more chips into the pot to chase a str8 that probably isn't coming. After the flop, you can almost be assured that one of your opponents will like his hand enough to make a large bet to protect his hand.

The thing about a hand like 75o is that they're the type of cards where you can flop what looks to be a good hand, but still have a good chancec to lose in the end to an even better hand. For instance, if the flop is 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif -- you've made your str8, but are vulnerable to a flush, a higher straight, a boat (if someone was holding pocket 6,8, or 9) -- and the odds of you making that straight on the flop in the first place are very slim.

Even worse is when the flop comes something like 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Now you're staying in the pot until the bitter end because you've flopped two pair -- but will probably lose to a flush, a set, or a higher two pair.

I went to pokerroom to check out 75o against 3 opponents and it has a -.26 EV -- which is just about as bad as it gets for any two cards.

Now, if you're holding 76s, that's another story. Against four opponents, the EV is almost even (-.04), and the pot odds (and implied odds) make it more than worthwhile to see a flop.

Dean
02-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Actually the table is pretty tight(around 30% on avg see the flop). Of the 5 people in the hand, 4 stacks are around the 100-150BB range and the 5th is about 50BB.

Niediam
02-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I'll assume this is a ring game and not a tournament...

Fold. Your hand is garbage and probably needs a miracle flop to win.

However, if the stacks are super super deep and the players are loose postflop there could be EV in the call.

DemonDeac
02-23-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold. You almost certainly have the worst hand going in and at best the second worst position. These are the types of hands that fish play to "protect the blinds". You almost certainly won't flop a monster, and then will either have to walk away from your 4BB bet or will have to dump more chips into the pot to chase a str8 that probably isn't coming. After the flop, you can almost be assured that one of your opponents will like his hand enough to make a large bet to protect his hand.

The thing about a hand like 75o is that they're the type of cards where you can flop what looks to be a good hand, but still have a good chancec to lose in the end to an even better hand. For instance, if the flop is 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif -- you've made your str8, but are vulnerable to a flush, a higher straight, a boat (if someone was holding pocket 6,8, or 9) -- and the odds of you making that straight on the flop in the first place are very slim.

Even worse is when the flop comes something like 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Now you're staying in the pot until the bitter end because you've flopped two pair -- but will probably lose to a flush, a set, or a higher two pair.

I went to pokerroom to check out 75o against 3 opponents and it has a -.26 EV -- which is just about as bad as it gets for any two cards.

Now, if you're holding 76s, that's another story. Against four opponents, the EV is almost even (-.04), and the pot odds (and implied odds) make it more than worthwhile to see a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a vile avatar u got there hopeydafish

and i fold because besides flopping the nut straight, no flop is ever great for u