PDA

View Full Version : Folding to flop aggression better at the raise, or at the turn.

hate
02-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Not withstanding pot odds for a specific hand, say we've got

A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

preflop we're MP1
<font color="red">Hero raises</font>, 1 caller

flop comes K/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">Villain raises</font>, Hero ???

Say he's a TAG, our action?
Say he's a LAG, our action?
Say he's a fish, our action?

I've generally taken the option towards a call, and a check/fold on the turn UI regardless of pot odds, mostly just to preserve table image, but I get the feeling it's a leak.

davelin
02-22-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not withstanding pot odds...regardless of pot odds

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't you can make this (or basically any) decision without considering the size of the pot.

hate
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
My point was that preserving table image for future hands wrt opponents respecting my bets was more important than pot odds at that specific hand.

SteveL91
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

preflop we're MP1
<font color="red">Hero raises</font>, 1 caller

flop comes K/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">Villain raises</font>, Hero ???

Say he's a TAG, our action?
Say he's a LAG, our action?
Say he's a fish, our action?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just me, but:
I'd probably fold to the TAG some of the time, call some of the time and re-raise the other times. Considering he merely called your pre-flop bet, it's really hard to put him on a hand that can beat you other than maybe KQs/o. Very specific, I know. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd probably only re-raise if I had seen the player try this move before; otherwise, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and fold or call and check/fold the turn UI.

With the LAG, I'd probably go between raising and calling. Regardless, I'm not sure I'd give the LAG the benefit of the doubt, because it's just as likely he's betting a hand I can beat. How I play the rest of the hand would probably be determined by how he reacts to my raise and the turn.

In terms of the fish, it would depend on how passive he is or isn't. If he tends to be very passive, I'll probably go between calling and folding; I just don't want to do the samething constantly. If he's overly aggressive, I'll probably go between calling and raising.

I just don't want to risk creating the perception that I'll fold to any aggression. My decisions are also heavily influenced by the lack of the 3-bet on the flop.