PDA

View Full Version : JJ against an EP All-in

davidross
09-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Online NLHE single table tourny. Only 2nd round blinds are 10/20 and I have 1482 in the Cutoff position. EP player with 760 goes all-in. I have JJ. Is this an easy fold or does the fact that I have double his chips make it a possible call? I felt that the competition was weak and I didn't want to give up my chip advantage just yet, but winning 760 extra chips would sure look good.

I folded and he flashed AK. Still not sure if I did the right thing.

09-09-2002, 12:29 PM
JJ against AK is a little better than a coin flip. You have him covered 2:1, and you improve your chances of winning a lot by adding 50% to your stack at this point ... on the other hand, AK all in from EP in second round with that small blinds signals headless gambling, and so does the fact that he lost 25% of his stack within the first 20 hands ... personally I hate having aggressive maniacs in my one-table satellites, and you don't want to feed him ... so I think your lay down was absolutely OK!

best,

mcm

ohkanada
09-09-2002, 12:45 PM
There is no sane reason for someone to go all-in for 760 when the blinds are 10-20. So you need to compile the information from that table ( that opponent, how crazy the table is, the cost of the tourney, etc.) and decide the best play. If he has gone all-in 3 or 4 times already then I would go all-in. If this is the 1st time I would most likely fold.

Yesterday I was playing on Ultimate and someone made a similar raise all-in. I called with KK. He won with his AQ when he hit 2 queens. Oh well.

Ken Poklitar

davidross
09-09-2002, 02:10 PM
I have seen so many bad plays in these tournaments like this, or making $20 bets when the pot is $500. That contributed to my fold. I wasn't sure I wanted to risk half my stack on a coinflip when you are pretty sure at least half your opponents are real bad.

On the other side of that coin, I went all-in in an early round with AA, after 2 $20 limpers and a $60 raiser, pretty confident I would get called, and I did by the AK raiser. I could have made a re-raise trying to suck someone in, but they seem very willing to get everything in in these tournaments.

Thanks for the input.

Ignatius
09-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Easy fold unless you had a reliable read to the contrary. Besides aces, KK and AK are the only hands where you might consider a call (mostly b/c even bad players wouldn't make such a stupid overbet with aces, but try to get some money into the pot - unless they've heard about "The System", that is... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif)

cu

Ignatius

Boylermaker
09-10-2002, 11:51 AM
Fold. No reason to risk all those chips here.