PDA

View Full Version : HU vs Tight Passive

Robnaldo
02-22-2005, 07:24 PM
This Topic is about single table NLHE home tournament that I play a couple times a week.

I often end up HU with a Tight-Passive player and want to know what I can do to maximize the times I win against this type of player.

We often start heads-up with a similar chip amount (Chips in play is usually 5k) and our stacks are usually ~10-15xBB (We often have blinds of 100-200 when we start)

Anyway, I know this player really well HU:

Preflop:
Raises about 10% of the time and only with good hands
Will check/limp with his good hands most of the time
Will fold any complete trash preflop(T3o,82o,74o, J5o) in the SB and to most raises.
Will start calling most hands preflop if I raise all the time.

Flop:
Will check the flop 95% of the time
Will check-raise 5% of the time with a good hand(Like a 2-pair or better)
When he calls a bet on the flop it usually means he hit the board, has a st8 draw, flush draw, or 2 huge overcards like AK

Turn:
Will check the turn 50% of the time, will bet with a good hand(TPTK or better)

River:
Will often check the best hand, like 3rd pair.
Will slow-plays every hand to the river if he has the chance.(TPTK and better)
Will often bet a large amount if he thinks his hand is better then mine(Usually no worse then 2nd pair)
If I check to the river and then bet/raise, he will often not give me credit for a good hand.

-This guy is tight all-around, but especially after the flop.
-This guy does bluff, but it happens very rarely.(5% or less)
-My only problem with this guy is that he uses my aggression to trap me for all my chips.

I feel I should be raising preflop and beting on the flop and generally be trying to take the pots uncontested. I feel I could win more pots uncontested if I was raising a bigger amount pre-flop and post flop??..However I?m fairly unsure how much to bet preflop and post flop in this situation and wondering at what point should I be pushing.

I know that most people develop a push and fold strategy when it comes to ?similar? situations, but here where I know the opponent SO well I figure there is probably a better strategy.