PDA

View Full Version : Taking multi-vitamins

billyjex
02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I need to start taking vitamins. I have a bad college diet and I probably don't take nearly all the nutrients my body needs.

Just curious as to some of your experiences with vitamins, what to buy, etc. Thanks.

Boris
02-22-2005, 05:38 PM
There's a dealer at Bay101 that takes beta carotene (whatever the fck that is) supplements. He was caucasian but now he's orange. I meant it. His skin color is orange. He looks like he works with Homer Simpson at that nuke plant. So be careful with those supplements.

soundgarden4
02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Name brands don’t really matter when it comes to vitamins. I buy Walgreens, Sam’s Club/Costco, and Meijer all generic brand vitamins. I recommend 1 multi-vitamin for your general vitamins and minerals. 1 fish oil pill as well as 1 flaxseed oil pill. Both are Omega-3 fatty acids and help prevent heart disease. Lastly I take 50mg of zinc to build up the immune system and prevent sickness. Since I’ve taken the zinc, I haven’t got sick (roughly a year and a half). Others can chime in with what they take.

kevin

tek
02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Beta-carotene (vitamin A) is for the eyes. But just like it sounds, if you take too much you'll look like a carrot.

deacsoft
02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Centrum Performance.

AEKDBet
02-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Generic is just as good as the name brands. You should look to see what your multivitamin doesn't provide 100% for, and supplement. If you work out a lot try adding some calcium, magnesium, and zinc. Also be weary of how much your body can absorb at once - for example ~500mg of calcium is the limit for a meal, so don't try to take 1000mg at once - otherwise you are wasting money.

And don't take mega doses of fat soluable vitamins A, E, K, D (and no this has nothing to do with my name.) This is bad for you. All other vitamins if you have too much it just ends up in the toilet.