PDA

View Full Version : All Star NBA team, who's on yours?

istewart
02-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Only players that began playing since 1990 or later, to make it a bit more creative. Make one West team and one East team (these teams reflecting where the player played the majority of his career). Starting lineups only.

I'll post mine in a bit.

swede123
02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm assuming you want a roster made up of players currently active, correct?

East:

G: AI
G: LeBron
F: Jermaine O'Neal
F: Paul Pierce
C: Shaq

West:

G: Nash
G: Kobe
F: Garnett
F: Novitzki
F/C: Duncan

Swede

tdarko
02-22-2005, 05:38 PM
West:
PG Magic Johnson
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Karl Malone (yeah i know he is a PF but this is my team)
PF Tim Duncan
C Hakeem Olajuwon
East:
PG Isaiah Thomas
SG Michael Jordan
SF Charles Barkley
PF Dennis Rodman
C Shaquille O'Neal (put him in the East b/c i felt Hakeem needed to be on the list too)

tdarko
02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
i thought he said the 90's?

bugstud
02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
BEGAN in the 90s /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClassicBob
02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
West:
F: Tim Duncan
F: Kevin Garnett
G: Kobe Bryant
G: Jason Kidd

East:
F: Grant Hill
F: Lebron James
C: Alonzo Mourning
G: Allen Iverson
G: Tracy McGrady

tdarko
02-22-2005, 05:46 PM
no jordan? no magic? no hakeem?

istewart
02-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Nope.

swede123
02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Darko, you are a moron. The OP asked about players who STARTED PLAYING in the 1990s or later. Shesh.

Swede

ClassicBob
02-22-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no jordan? no magic? no hakeem?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Only players that began playing since 1990 or later

[/ QUOTE ]

tdarko
02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
you don't have to be a dick, classic bob said the same thing as you but like an adult. thanks have a nice day.

istewart
02-22-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
West:
F: Tim Duncan
F: Kevin Garnett
G: Kobe Bryant
G: Jason Kidd

East:
F: Grant Hill
F: Lebron James
C: Alonzo Mourning
G: Allen Iverson
G: Tracy McGrady

[/ QUOTE ]

That West looks about right. Maybe Payton as PG, although he might've started in 1989 or so, so forget that. The East isn't too bad either although I'm sure McGrady can be replaced.

ClassicBob
02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I felt the West was pretty simple. The East was much tougher. Alonzo was pretty easy, unless i'm forgetting some other great Eastern Conference center that started after 1990. I feel AI is right. There isn't a true power forward, but I didn't feel like I could pass up Hill, who before injuries was an amazing all-around player (and is starting to get it back now) and well, Lebron is Lebron. Already he's pretty sick, and deserving of this spot (again, memory may have failed me, but I can't think of many other deserving EC forwards.)

T-Mac tends to polarize a lot of people, but I really like him. He can be pretty unstoppable once he gets going, and he has the skill-set and length to be a good defender, which he was in his early Orlando years. Up until last season, I would have taken him over Kobe if I had to make that choice. He's got some making-up to do after the tanking he did last season, but should still be on this list.

[censored]
02-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I am going to stick to an all NBA team, rather than two all star teams because it results in having to make tougher choices

Based on performance from 90-

G Kidd
G Kobe
F Garnett
F Duncan
c Shaq

Actually that wasn't hard at all.

istewart
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Good points, yeah. I hate Grant Hill with a passion though. I still am struggling to find SF-esque replacements. Hardaway was freaking good, though. Anfernee, that is.

Clarkmeister
02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I'd just like to say that those of you not including Gary Payton over anybody at starting PG have lost your minds.

That is all.

istewart
02-22-2005, 06:17 PM
You act like it's the most obvious thing that Payton is the better choice over Kidd. It's not.

Clarkmeister
02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You act like it's the most obvious thing that Payton is the better choice over Kidd. It's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is.

You are, of course, free to differ and take Kidd over Payton, but IMO you'd be wrong.

swede123
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Give him some time and Nash may pass both these guys by.

Swede

tbach24
02-22-2005, 06:32 PM
East:
G: McGrady
G: Iverson
F: Pierce
F: James

West:
G: Payton
G: Kobe
F: Nowitzki
F: Garnett
C: Duncan

The Yugoslavian
02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give him some time and Nash may pass both these guys by.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm.

1. Nash isn't all that young.
2. Nash can't play defense.

FWIW I'd take Payton over Kidd as he has the better D and *much* better scoring. I can definitely see an argument for having Kidd on the team instead perhaps if AI is your 2-guard. Practically speaking, having AI on the team wouldn't work that well as he chunks the ball up too much. Although, he has shown much improvement this year in distribution and decision making.

Yugoslav

Clarkmeister
02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Nash isn't even in the conversation. One needs to at least attempt to play defense to be on a list like this, don't you think? He's having a career year, an MVP calibur impact on his team, but compare this singular season from him to Payton's run in his prime and it's not even close once one factors in D.

istewart
02-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Personally Payton might be my choice as well. The last few years aging has really raped his D but in his prime he definitely deserved a nod.

Kidd, though. When Kidd is on he is the epitome of what you need a point guard to be. D, albeit not as weak as Nash's, is not his strong point, though.