View Full Version : AA from MP Question

NickPoker
02-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Game:
100-200 Buy in NL
Blinds $2-$5
Hero in MP with the table covered (approx $700) with AA
Villian BB with approx $400

Preflop - It is folded to the Hero who opens for $25, which is then folded to the villian in the BB who raises to $100.

Question: What do you think the best play is here?
1. Push
2. Call
3. Mini-raise

My thoughts
1.If you push you either going to take down the $100 or going to have the best of it for all the villians chips

2. If you call you may have a better chance of taking the whole stack if the villian is making a move. Secondarily if the villian misses the flop you can prevent a suckout on the turn or river. Downside is that you may get sucked out on if the Villian hits the flop.
3. If you miniraise you are more likely to get called therefore getting more money in while you have the best of it, and you get the Villian closer to being pot committed and therefore more willing to call if he hits the flop marginially. You also have some fold equity, he may fold and you take it down preflop. Same downside as Call, maybe even open yourself up to a suckout more on the turn or river since he is more pot commintted.

I will post what I did and the results later.

B1GF1SHY
02-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Call because you have AA, you're in position in a headsup pot and he's put in 25% of his stack already. Put him all-in when he bets the flop.

parttimepro
02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Say you call, and the flop is KQ3. Villian pushes. Anybody call? What about Kxx?

betgo
02-22-2005, 06:30 PM
If you call preflop, you have to call on the flop whatever it is. Villain could easily have AK on a king flop.

I prefer to miniraise or push. If you trap, you can get beaten and you also may not get much more money in. Say the flop is AKx and cillain has QQ or JJ.

A miniraise looks suspiciously like a big pair, but it is hard for villain to fold to it or fold on the flop.

If you push, villain is getting better than 5-3 on his money so it is hard to fold. If villain has a pair, you don't totally mind a fold. You pick up a nice profit.

Voltron87
02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
If it looks like it will be a headsup pot call. You're putting him all in (or calling all in) on virtually every flop.

radioheadfan
02-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Call. (Unless you put him squarely on KK in which case you push). Plan to get all in on 95% of flops. KQJ flop is the scariest - and I might lay down on that flop if he pushes. KQx is dangerous too and you should think hard before calling a push. A monotone board with none of your suit may be another flop to considering laying down if you think he has the top pair with a flush draw. KKx is also threatening.

Any other flop you're going to the felt. But the correct preflop move is too call. Let him bet away more chips on the flop. If you set him in preflop or miniraise preflop most reasonable players will know what you have and will play accordingly.

Kaz The Original
02-22-2005, 08:45 PM
If you have no reads on the villian say "I'm All In" just like they do on T.V.

If villian needs a big pocket pair (jacks or better) flat call and take his stack on rags.

Some players will go all in with AJ, others will muck QQ to a three bet from you. While you're sitting there, stop thinking about refurnishing your deck, start thinking about the other people at the table.

NickPoker
02-23-2005, 04:18 PM
I pushed all in and got called. The range of hands I put the villian on was 99 to KK or AK, weighted to the high end of the range. Anyway he turns over 77, and I was somewhat stunned that he called me with that hand. The flop came KQblank, and he turned a 7 to beat me. Obviously most of the time I win this showdown, and in my opinion the play of the villian was horrible, so I still think given the fact that he called I got the result that I wanted, all the chips in the middle. The reason I posted the question was do I want to give him a chance to fold on flop if he misses to avoid being sucked out on the turn or river?
OR am I better off with all the chips in when he misses, overall I am probably better off to push if I know he will push.

I appreciate all the feedback.

betgo
02-23-2005, 05:41 PM
If there is a decent chance he will call, go ahead and push preflop.

Are you saying that you want to flat call, because then villain might fold on the flop and he won't be able to hit his two-outer for a set?

NickPoker
02-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Not neccessarily. I did indeed push and I think I made the right play just wanted others opinions.

But a flat call does let a couple of others things play out.
1. If the opponent was making a move, maybe they will continue the move on the flop, and you have chance at their whole stack. If you push they most likely fold.
2. If they have a borderline calling a push hand maybe they may fold on a flop bet if they miss, thus nullifying the risk of them hitting one of their outs on the turn or river. The more I thought about this option is that it doesn't make sense because you want their money in the pot, if they hit their 2 outer so be it.
This discussion was helpful because I think I was being too results oriented when went back to anyalyze the hand. My ending conclusion was that I played the hand correctly, and got unlucky. If anyone disagrees I would love to hear their reasoning.

betgo
02-23-2005, 06:42 PM
If you think there is a good chance for a call just push. You get the money in way ahead and if villain folds you avoid any chance of losing the pot.

Only call preflop if you think your opponent will fold to a raise.

Getting your opponent to fold on the flop when he has a reasonable chance of winning should not be a major consideration with AA here.

Kaz The Original
02-23-2005, 08:07 PM
It's all a question of +EV.

Is it better ev to be a 5:1 favourite for all his money preflop, or do you want to be a 7.5:1 favourite for his $100 on the flop?

Tony.T
02-24-2005, 01:34 AM
"If you have no reads on the villian say "I'm All In" just like they do on T.V"

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Both his and your table image are very important in deciding
what move would generate in the most money, but since you donīt bring that up here is what I think

I wouldīnt call when villian already has 25% of his stack in
the pot, move in or raise 150-200 more. Then move in on any flop. I have never liked slowplaying big pocket pairs, especially when the money is not that deep. I know many players like, and makes money, slowplaying like this but I think it is better when the stacks are bigger compared to the bet i question. You already have committed 25% of his money with the nuts, and you want more, take it while you can!