PDA

View Full Version : Live WSOP main event satellite questions

judgesmails
02-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I am planning to play some of these this year.

What level of play are these comparable to? For example, are they similar to the level of play found at a Stars 100 SNG? 200 SNG? Higher? Lower?

How common is chopping when you get to the final 3?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

raptor517
02-22-2005, 05:30 PM
the thing with satellites for big events is that they try to finish off in about an hour. when you think about it, that sounds about right for online play, but to play live it takes at least twice as long. the structure is going to be worse than a party 10+1 more than likely, so you are going to have to gamble a bit. you will be able to maintain an edge, but its not going to be that great. good luck

Irieguy
02-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I imagine you are talking about the $1K buy-in single-table satellites as opposed to the supers or step-satellites.

They are not easy. The play is much better than a $200 on-line SNG, and you are only going to see about 40 hands. So, you are likely to wind up in a tough game with only one or two poor players without much time to do anything about it.

The $100 buy-in two step events they run all year up until the week before the main event are much softer, with a lot more players just gamboooooling.

But your best shot at a cheap seat is by far the supersatellites. They are crazy, and you play with hardly any chips. BUT, the flat-payout nature of the end game lends itself to some huge mistakes by several players at the end... so the overlay is generally worth it.

Personally, I think the single table satellites are the worst option available. Almost any on-line qualifier will give you a bigger overlay. You may have difficulty finding an option that will give you a 10% chance of playing in the big one, though. That's why most people take a shot at the single tables.

Irieguy

sandrew
02-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Look at your local card club.. Ours here in Ventura is having a 125 single talbe satellite, two rounds. Win the first round goto the finals. Start with 5K in chips. Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 20 minutes.

I figured I do ok in sit n gos online, this is structured alot like an online tourney, so i'll give it a shot. With 5K in chips you can play conservative up front as people knock each other out.