PDA

View Full Version : party 3/6 - HU defending with the sawmill

donger
02-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Is the correct play in these situations (defending) to just let them hang themselves when you flop TP or better? Was this a bad hand to defend with?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

J.R.
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
"Is the correct play in these situations (defending) to just let them hang themselves when you flop TP or better?"

generally not in a blind steal spot out of positon where a tricky play is almost expected, especially if the opponent is aggressive/not weak-tight.

"Was this a bad hand to defend with?"

not unless button was pretty tight, which is quite possible at 3-6.

meep_42
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Raise the turn?

-d

feelixthegreek
02-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I almost always fold this PF, unless I have a specific read on the stealer. Once in the hand, though, I would hit the gas pedal on the turn. If he really has an ace, you're going to probably end up capping it.

If he's more wild, I'd start firing away on the flop.

Fat Nicky
02-22-2005, 03:50 PM
If I have a read on my opponent as someone who likes to steal and I want to defend my blind against I always 3-bet pre-flop no matter what my hand and bet out on any flop. Against the right player, this is immediate +EV.

It's a bit more dicey against an unknown. I'm more inclined to just give up here w/K high, but if you want to defend, I think a 3-bet is superior to just calling because of the added possibility of taking the pot down with a flop bet.

PokerBob
02-22-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the correct play in these situations (defending) to just let them hang themselves when you flop TP or better? Was this a bad hand to defend with?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I go on tilt a little when someone tries to steal on me. I'd sometimes 3-bet here pre-flop to take control.

donger
02-22-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Is the correct play in these situations (defending) to just let them hang themselves when you flop TP or better?"

generally not in a blind steal spot out of positon where a tricky play is almost expected, especially if the opponent is aggressive/not weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they ARE aggro (but not super aggro), shouldn't you just let them lead the whole way? They would probably bet a lot more hands than they would call with in this scenario.. I check called the turn here thinking that the button probably didn't have an ace, and that I didn't want to scare him off by representing one. I was planning to CR the river and hope that he had made some kind of junk pair along the way, but the river ace made it so that I would hate being three bet, but I wanted him to continue trying to move me off if he had nothing. Is this a reasonable line of thinking? Check-calling is definitely one of my game's blind spots and something I'm working hard to incorporate.

J.R.
02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
check-calling out of position is good when 1) your opponent is weak tight and may get away from his hand if you bet but will often bet your hand for him and 2) with a marginal hand that you don't want to have to face a raise with becuase it will be a tough situation.

here, I think you want to play your hand a bit faster becuase 1) the blind steal nature tends to mean your opponent will devalue the credibility of your bets and raises and 2) you want to give your opponent a chance to raise you.

I you think he will fold then your line may be ok but in a steal spot v an agressive opponent you shouldn't be afraid of losing him here. From the raiser's perspective its more likely a hand like A high is best with a paired board such as this becuase there are only 2, as opposed to 3 board cards you could have paired your pocket cards with (assumign no pocket pair) and the paired board is often fodder for a semi-bluff, so the stealer may actaully be more inclined to give you action in this steal spot than in others.

meep_42
02-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Upon thinking about this more -- every fish plays their trips slow, so I may check-raise this flop (and many others with many varied holdings) and hope to get 3-bet.

This isn't a way-ahead/way-behind, you're killing him, get some bets in.

-d