PDA

View Full Version : Macauly Culkin and Hank Azaria were at a certain UWS club in NYC

spadeclub99
02-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Looks like they played in the UWS club. Don't know what a $20 ante game is though.

[ QUOTE ]
Lowdown hears that Culkin, 24, and Azaria, 40, showed up together the other night at a secret poker game on the upper West Side and tried their luck at the $20 ante table.

"They were there for at least an hour and a half. I didn't see them win at all," observed a Lowdown spy who attends regularly.

Apparently the ritzy gambling lounge, which sits above an Off-Track Betting shop in the W. 70s and accommodates about 100 players, is well-known to local wealthy business types.

[/ QUOTE ]

NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/283190p-242691c.html)

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
As a "member" and a friend to many of the staff at the referenced club -- I think this article is very very bad.

Read the rest of the article -- The Manhattan D.A.'s office comments on the legality of poker rooms in NY.

freekobe
02-22-2005, 03:47 PM
This club could be in the some seroius trouble. There is only one OTB in the 70s on the UWS. I assume the police know about this club, but putting this info out there publicly is bad news.

spadeclub99
02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
I agree that the location was stated much too specifically. This basically gives the exact location in the NY Daily News, which is probally read by at least 1 million people in NYC. Especially considering that they state it is illegal in the same article, I do not understand why they would not give a vague desciption of the location. His lowdown spy should have told him to be more discreet.

sfer
02-22-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the ritzy gambling lounge, which sits above an Off-Track Betting shop in the W. 70s and accommodates about 100 players, is well-known to local wealthy business types

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahahahahahahahaha

Voltron87
02-22-2005, 04:10 PM
What a fucking stupid reporter. Right above the OTB?

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the ritzy gambling lounge, which sits above an Off-Track Betting shop in the W. 70s and accommodates about 100 players, is well-known to local wealthy business types

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahahahahahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Which inaccuracy are you laughing at?

Ritzy gambling lounge? (not exactly)

Local wealthy business types? (hmmm... they may "know" of it, but the vast majority of the regular clientele look to be college students or recent grads)

At least they didn't say what floor it was on... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

bobbyi
02-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah, about a year ago one of my friends said he played with Azaria at the playstation.

sfer
02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the ritzy gambling lounge, which sits above an Off-Track Betting shop in the W. 70s and accommodates about 100 players, is well-known to local wealthy business types [ QUOTE ]
Ahahahahahahahaha [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Which inaccuracy are you laughing at?

Ritzy gambling lounge? (not exactly)

Local wealthy business types? (hmmm... they may "know" of it, but the vast majority of the regular clientele look to be college students or recent grads)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Luv2DriveTT
02-22-2005, 07:18 PM
PERHAPS (at least I hope so) they included the location to alert players that the District Attorney already know about the existence of the room. Sort of a warning... is that possible? Where are our legal 2+2'ers (Derek... help!) to advise?

What I don't get is the mention of a rake. There is no rake here, it is time charge. But that doesn't change the legal status of the room. What is interesting is how they insinuate that the only reason it is illegal is due to the rake if they collect $5,0000 or more. I think the $5,000 or more criteria was within a 1 year period, I remember reading about that last year when researching the legality of home games in NYC.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

MercTec
02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
The same article that says they take a rake also talks about them trying their hand at the $20 ante table....

bdk3clash
02-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Either the reporter got his facts wrong, or they were playing a black chip stud game (which I think does take place at said club.)

sfer
02-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Much more likely that it was the $20 buy in tournament.

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Either the reporter got his facts wrong, or they were playing a black chip stud game (which I think does take place at said club.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The reporter got many facts wrong -- unfortunately the location was just about right.

turnipmonster
02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
am I crazy for wanting to play 30-60 rotation there? I probably have no business in that game, but I feel oddly drawn to it.

bobbyi
02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think "got the facts wrong" is the most likely explanation. It could have been a 20/40 HE game and the writer doesn't know the difference between "blind" and "ante".

sfer
02-23-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

am I crazy for wanting to play 30-60 rotation there? I probably have no business in that game, but I feel oddly drawn to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not. I want to play all of their rotation games. They have a regular 10/20 HOE in addition to their bigger ones (and the geriatric 5/10 Pineapple, Stud8, O8), I think.

sfer
02-23-2005, 01:08 AM
From what I've heard Michael Jackson's biatch plays tournaments almost exclusively.

bdk3clash
02-23-2005, 01:31 AM
http://uploadyourimages.com/img/143957home.jpg

TomRowe
02-23-2005, 01:34 AM
I played a tournament there, and some cash games. I'm from NC and I knew about it. There were at least 200 people there. That you could run 200+ people in and out of that place all day long, late hours, and not have someone eventually find out about it is not likely. If 20 people knew about it, it would still get out. With several thousand, and a web site, it is only a matter of time.

They don't take a rake ... they take a half-hour table charge that is quite reasonable ... but I am sure it is an illegal club and can't imagine they will be able to stay open long ... which is unfortunate ... it was a nice place to play when I was on a business trip to NYC.

sfer
02-23-2005, 01:48 AM
Unless they've expanded, they don't have 20 tables. There's no way they have more than 15.

Also, you seem to think that because something is illegal in New York City that there is a desire to see it stopped. There are clear examples that show this is clearly not true and that plenty of crimes that are deemed insignificant are tolerated. Just walk down Waverly along Washington Square Park at night.

BottlesOf
02-23-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
which is probally read by at least 1 million people in NYC

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way this is true. Despite that, this not the kind of thing that will make NYPC happy.

BottlesOf
02-23-2005, 02:13 AM
It went to 50 long ago. Maybe it's back to 30, but if so, that's a change in the last 4 months.

TomRowe
02-23-2005, 02:25 AM
I assure you that there were about 200 people there. The tourney was for 80 people ... 8 tables ... and they had at least that many tables playing cash games. Let's say 150 - 200 people at any time. That still means thousands of people playing there, any one of which could rat them out after a bad session or disagreement with the owners.

As to the legality, I don't live in NYC so I can't comment. But, at some point you would think someone has to do something? Don't get me wrong, I don't want that ... I had a great time and would like to be able to go back next time I am there.

sfer
02-23-2005, 02:47 AM
The main room with the desk has 7 or so tables. The back room has 5 or 6. Where were the remaining 8 or so tables?

bdk3clash
02-23-2005, 03:40 AM
"am I crazy"

Yes.

BottlesOf
02-23-2005, 10:35 AM
PWN3D!

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-23-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The main room with the desk has 7 or so tables. The back room has 5 or 6. Where were the remaining 8 or so tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

High stakes area -- apparently above the OTB....

BottlesOf
02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Is this a joke?

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 11:25 AM
it was 30 the other night.

turnipmonster
02-23-2005, 11:26 AM
let's have a 10/20 HOE night sometime soon.

sfer
02-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah. Let's not do it on the night the po-po come storming in. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MRBAA
02-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I used to play the 10-20 HOE game at the other place, but it no longer goes. Are you saying it's moved uptown?

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-23-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

giantsrule
02-23-2005, 06:08 PM
The $5,000 relates to the crime of advancing/profiting from gambling by bookmaking to the extent of recieving/accepting in one day > 5 bets totaling > $5K which is the E felony Promoting Gambling in the First Degree. If it doesn't qualify as bookmaking or the amount is < $5K then it's a misdemeanor, promoting gambling in the 2nd degree, to advance or profit from unlawful gambling activity. The definitions of advancing and profiting from gambling exclude players.

other1
02-23-2005, 09:32 PM
I assumed I knew which place this was, especially since I've seen HA there before, but then I read the part about it being ritzy.. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ritzy? As in like the cracker maybe. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luv2DriveTT
02-24-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The $5,000 relates to the crime of advancing/profiting from gambling by bookmaking to the extent of recieving/accepting in one day > 5 bets totaling > $5K which is the E felony Promoting Gambling in the First Degree. If it doesn't qualify as bookmaking or the amount is < $5K then it's a misdemeanor, promoting gambling in the 2nd degree, to advance or profit from unlawful gambling activity. The definitions of advancing and profiting from gambling exclude players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please describe the risks that players face as well. Why do people who know the risks and the enevitable results choose to open or work for poker rooms in NYC?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-24-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Please describe the risks that players face as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The following does not constitute legal advice just my understanding --

I think it has been described here before. Players face no criminal penalty for playing cards. They can be charged with loitering which is a violation under New York state law. A violation is less than a misdemeanor or a felony and does not constitute a criminal record -- it is like a traffic ticket or a ticket for not cleaning your sidewalk.

Also, loitering statutes have been struck down frequently around the country based on them being unconstitutional (right to assemble, etc.).

Of course, players risk what they have on the table in chips. If they are at a table with $5,000 in chips when a club is raided they may never see that money.

My understanding is that they might also detain players and check IDs against outstanding warrants, etc. I have also heard that they can take you to the station if you don't have ID on you.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people who know the risks and the enevitable results choose to open or work for poker rooms in NYC?

[/ QUOTE ]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

giantsrule
02-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Regarding the risks to players, see my 2 posts in another thread on this in the last few weeks. If you search for my username they'll be easy to find.