PDA

View Full Version : Boxing not Bunching pg. 65 Champ Omaha

Beavis68
02-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, sorry for the annoying double post, but I want to get the right answer on this.

The last paragraph on PG 65 of Championship Omaha.

"It doesn't matter how many times the cards are shuffled, they get boxed so that certain cards come out more often than other cards. In low-limit games, people who are playing a bunch of strange hands sometimes hit a lot of them because of this "boxing" effect."

I ask again WTF????

Mason Malmuth
02-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Beavis:

This is beyond stupid.

Best wishes,
Mason

Beavis68
02-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought.

johnnybeef
02-22-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, sorry for the annoying double post, but I want to get the right answer on this.

The last paragraph on PG 65 of Championship Omaha.

"It doesn't matter how many times the cards are shuffled, they get boxed so that certain cards come out more often than other cards. In low-limit games, people who are playing a bunch of strange hands sometimes hit a lot of them because of this "boxing" effect."

I ask again WTF????

[/ QUOTE ]

this is in what book? i need to know so i can discredit the author

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Beavis:

This is beyond stupid.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I can't wait to use this excuse at my next home game.

Rudbaeck
02-22-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Championship Omaha by TJ Cloutier and Tom McEvoy.

mmcd
02-22-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Championship Omaha by TJ Cloutier and Tom McEvoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know the release date for "Championship Craps"?

benfranklin
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
I re-read this section last night, and it seems clear to me that when T.J. says "boxing", he means the same thing that the blackjack shuffle trackers mean when they say "clumping". This is the tendency of cards that are discarded together to stay clumped together during the shuffle.

T.J. is saying that the clumping or boxing effect is different in a loose game than in a tight game, because the players discard in different patterns in the two games. This would appear to be true, but brings up that eternal philosophical question, what difference does it make? He is saying that this clumping effect adversely affects the next deal, and you are less likely to get a good hand because of this.

I don't see how the clumping is predictable, or how you could make any use of it. In fact, I would argue that the clumping effect is more pronounced in a tight game. Here, all the garbage cards hit the muck at the same time, preflop. In a looser game, a few players fold preflop, a few more on the flop, and the rest at the showdown.

I think that the key to the whole section is at the end, where T.J. quotes Stu Ungar as saying that he (Stu) would be clueless in a 5-10 limit game. I think that T.J. would be clueless in a 3-6 O8 ring game, and is using voodoo science as an excuse. Sounds like good old boy superstition to me.