PDA

View Full Version : NES Dragon Warrior

The Dude
02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Okay, so the recent thread about the best NES game ever got me thinking back about Dragon Warrior. Killer game. Absalutely killer. I don't know why, but I never even played any of the sequels. I got to thinking about how much fun the original was, and decided "what the hell, it's only a couple BBs I'll buy the others." I got on eBay and bought II, III, and IV.

Anybody out there played any of these? I read some reviews I found through google from some random gaming boards, and they were glowing. But then again, who knows.

What do you think? Worth going back and playing at this stage in my life?

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I very, very vaguely remember this game. I'll have to google it and look for a screenshot.

If it's the one I'm thinking of though, I remember really liking it.

The Dude
02-22-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's the one I'm thinking of though, I remember really liking it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to rank it #1 over Baseball Stars. Killer, killer game.

Meh, Baseball Stars still gets #1, just because of the countless days my brothers and cousins and I played that game without rest. Multiplayer games have a different fun element than single-player games, though.

IsaacW
02-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Dragon Warrior kicked ass. I, too, never played any of the sequels. Please let us know how they are.

Those gold monsters were the nuts for making quick GP.

The Dude
02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it was cleverly called a "Goldman." God, I loved the deceptive simplicity of that game.

Edge34
02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I've only ever played the first Dragon Warrior. Great game, but I can't even remember if I ever beat it. I actually don't think I did...SNES probably took over my attention before I finished.

The only thing that ever pissed me off was when the monsters would just jump my [censored] and attack first. No fun fighting from behind.

Well, now I'm gonna have to dig out the old 8-bit and hook it up...either that or try to find an emulator...

I'd say its worth going back and playing at any "stage in your life".

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it was cleverly called a "Goldman." God, I loved the deceptive simplicity of that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I DO remember this game then. There was a T-Rex that was hard to kill IIRC that was also worth a bunch of experience points. Man, good times.

SomethingClever
02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I beat the first DW, and played the hell out of DWII, but never beat it.

I even spent half the summer after I graduated college trying to beat it on my computer with an emulator, but I got stuck at the same point that I did when I was a kid.

Basically, you need a "water key" or something to get past this one part, and I could never find it, or I had it once and lost it, or something.

Highly recommended... and if you figure out a way to beat it, let me know.

PhatTBoll
02-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Funny you ask this, because I've been playing Dragon Warrior 4 on an emulator here and there for the past few weeks. I've played all of them to some extent. If you like that kind of game, it's a good time. No earth shattering changes from one game to the next, just simple turn-based combat, fighting monsters, and moving through the plot as you go from town to town. The second one is probably the best.

For those looking for an emulator or games, vimm.net is the tits.

beerbandit
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
i think every person in the world had this game

it came free when you started a subscription for nintendo power, atleast thats how i got it

i think i played some of the others, but as the new systems came out i upgraded so i never played many later games in the series

cheers

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think every person in the world had this game

it came free when you started a subscription for nintendo power, atleast thats how i got it

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it. that's how I got it too.

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Did a quick google image search....forgot how "primitive" looking the graphics are now....wow.

http://home.comcast.net/~arcthelad/img/dw1.png

The Dude
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM
BTW, the correct comand is 'run.' Only because you have no MP, though.

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember the Axe Knight being quite difficult.

OK, really newb question, but I'll ask it here instead of starting a new thread.

What is an emulator? Is it just something I can download for my computer? Or is it an actual piece of hardware that I can buy?

Seeing this old game makes me want to get this so called emulator.

Shajen
02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What is an emulator? Is it just something I can download for my computer? Or is it an actual piece of hardware that I can buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's software that someone created to emulate the game on your pc. Basically it turns your pc into the gaming system.

Some of them are pretty damned spotty.

Also known as ROMs.

Google around for more info.

The Dude
02-22-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's because you didn't know you could put them to sleep! Now, whatever the red-colored Knights were called, those things were vicious.

SomethingClever
02-22-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also known as ROMs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite.

An emulator is like your Nintendo box. A ROM is like the game cartridge.

Try NESticle.

You'll be shiatting in your pants when you realize that you could be playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out on your PC within 5 minutes.

Shajen
02-22-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also known as ROMs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite.

An emulator is like your Nintendo box. A ROM is like the game cartridge.

Try NESticle.

You'll be shiatting in your pants when you realize that you could be playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out on your PC within 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you got me. But, I was close enough for government work.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, I've got a site at home linked that has like 400 Nintendo games ready to play.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

A trip down memory lane.

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not here at work.

But when I get home, you're going down Glass Joe!

crownjules
02-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Got DW through the Nintendo Power subscription also. Never beat it, though. Got as far as buying the Flame Sword.

Wasn't there a Dragon Warrior for the SNES, or was that a compilation?

PhatTBoll
02-22-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't there a Dragon Warrior for the SNES, or was that a compilation?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple Dragon Quest games for the SNES that retain the numbering order. The first one is Dragon Quest 5, etc. I never played any of them.

AEKDBet
02-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Holy crap, yeah this was an awesome game. FWIW the whole damn game was about building experience.

After you make over to the east side of the game, then all the way down south, you pretty much hang out there for several hours until you are at level 14-17ish? I don't remember. I think 22 was the highest I ever got.

The game is really fun if you have some time on your hands. If you get bored and want to mess around, in Emulator you can save your "states" or basically take a snapshot of the exact moment in time in the game, and return to it whenever. It's an awesome way to save the game. You can get a simple find and replace program to search through the states and make changes. For example if you have 3841 gold, you would search and replace that to 99999 gold. Try to beat the game 'straight up' before doing this.

Edrick's sword was a bitch to find, btw. Anyone remember that?

The Dude
02-22-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Edrick's sword was a bitch to find, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Erdrick, please.

Eurotrash
02-22-2005, 03:28 PM
I had the entire series listed as some of my favorite NES games in the other thread /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've still got 2, 3, and 4 on cartridge at home. kind of disappointed that I actually never had first one, though (i used to rent it or borrow it from a friend or something.)

They're likely going to be worth everything you pay for them -- excellent games. I especially liked 4, but all of them are great.

Phoenix1010
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Awesome game. Absolutely classic.

I played part 2 for the gameboy, and didn't like it quite as much, although it was still good. I think it was just too hard for me to figure out where to go sometimes, and I couldn't bring myself to look up a strat guide for such an old game. Part VII for the PS1 is one of the best rpg's ever, although it's about 150 hours long (no exaggeration).

Phoenix1010
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, you need a "water key" or something to get past this one part, and I could never find it, or I had it once and lost it, or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! This is exactly where I got stuck. If you stop playing for a while you're screwed because there's usually no one to tell you where you were supposed to be going. Still a fun game though.

Awesemo
02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
II is ok, III is excellent, IV is my favorite.

mason55
02-22-2005, 04:48 PM
I beat 1 2 and 3 on cartridge way back in the day. I dled 2 and 3 around christmas and finally beat them both in around the middle of january. Those games are worse than crack cocaine, especially the ones with multiple people in your party. There's always just the desire to level up once more or get a few more pieces of gold because you're always pretty close to accomplishing something new no matter what's going on in the game. Never played 4, might have to start that soon though.

daryn
02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]
That's because you didn't know you could put them to sleep! Now, whatever the red-colored Knights were called, those things were vicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that was armored knight.

vetman81
02-22-2005, 05:43 PM
I beat all four of them...they are all great games. I also had some charts that told you about the items and monsters and things like that. Some had maps of a few of the caves too. They were quite helpful.

Brainwalter
02-22-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, you should have stocked up on Herbs before attempting to beat this Axe Knight. Heal is pretty useless against him, as his attacks do more damage than Heal undoes, so you take one step forward and 2 steps back, never getting an Attack in edgewise. "Run" will be pretty useless, you will most likely be blocked, and then killed. Attack would be a better choice than run, unless you just started fighting him. Erdrick's Armor is right behind him.

Great game of course, I got one of the sequels a couple years ago, I think it was 3, and it was good.

The Dude
02-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Dude, in all the times I played that game and went after Erdrick's armor, I don't think I ever ran out of MP. You put the Axe Knight to sleep, then use the Herb. Even the Herb is fairly pointless when all the Axe Knight is going to do is hit you again - look at the still shot, he just hit you for 24 and 26 was the max an herb can heal you.

Who knows how long the fight's been going or how close the Axe Knight is to dying. Hell, you could just attack if he's almost dead. But looking at what I see - about to die, and no MP left, I chose to live to fight another day. BTW, if Hero doesn't have a pair of wings handy, running is pretty pointless, since he's going to die anyway - might as well attack and try and get the armor first.

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
What's my play here?

http://www.loogslair.com/vgame/number16.jpg

I like attack. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Dude
02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Run. You're so close to the town it'd be a shame to die now. And for what? 33 experience points? You've got plenty of those.

Edge34
02-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I seem to be having some trouble getting NESticle to work for my computer (laptop with Windows XP).

Any tips? (Didn't feel like making a new thread)

EDIT: Stupid me, just went and downloaded a different emulator, FCE Ultra. Workin' fine now.

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Run. You're so close to the town it'd be a shame to die now. And for what? 33 experience points? You've got plenty of those.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. I own wearwolves.

Seriously though, I'm trying to remember, and I can only guess that it's been 15 years since I played this game? 12 years? Hard to remember.

The Dude talks like he played it last week!

The Dude
02-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Seriously, is it wierd that I remember how many EP you get for beating a Werewolf? I swear it's been at least 6 years since I've played the game. I don't, however, remember the name of that town in the screen shot - the one protected by the Gollum.

Jurollo
02-22-2005, 08:58 PM
NesTen is a pretty sweet emulator I have used before.
~Justin

nolanfan34
02-22-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, is it wierd that I remember how many EP you get for beating a Werewolf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. My wife is always amazed/annoyed at the fact that I can remember that Danny Heep was Nolan's 4000th strikeout, and I pinned his 1985 Topps card to my bulletin board when I was nine, but I can't remember to get half of the grocery items I'm supposed to get when I go to the store.

My mind is already filled up with useless stuff, I don't have room for day-to-day items. Had to ditch birthdays and anniversary dates for family to make room for poker info.

The Dude
02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My mind is already filled up with useless stuff, I don't have room for day-to-day items. Had to ditch birthdays and anniversary dates for family to make room for poker info.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh

Luzion
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Wow, didnt think that so many people liked playing Dragon Warrior. Its one of my favorite RPG series ever.

I loved all the Dragon Warriors for the NES. I believe Dragon Warrior 1 was the easiest to beat, and Dragon Warrior 2 was the hardest; mainly because the last cave was a pain in the ass. Dragon Warrior 2 also had an awesome theme that they played in the title screen and at various parts of the game.

Btw, I think they are still making the Dragon Warrior series (except its called something else). I heard that the series outsells Final Fantasy in Japan and is how Enix was able to buy out Squaresoft like two years ago.

Russ McGinley
02-22-2005, 09:50 PM
I use VirtualNES which has never failed.

Also, how many people will now go play some DW after reading this thread?

Edge34
02-22-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, how many people will now go play some DW after reading this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

I already am /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Russ McGinley
02-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Yep, I just started. Can't help it.

Russ McGinley
02-23-2005, 03:52 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~rodassi/dragonwarrior.jpg

Itch. Scratched.

Edge34
02-23-2005, 03:57 AM
5 hours, christ. Nonstop Dragon Warrior?

I only played for like an hour...I'll hit it hard tomorrow or Thursday... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Russ McGinley
02-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Haha, I so used a Game Genie code for quick exp. No way am I sitting through leveling for that long.

daryn
02-23-2005, 05:39 AM
i never understood how people could get any satisfaction out of using video game cheats.

The Dude
02-23-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i never understood how people could get any satisfaction out of using video game cheats.

[/ QUOTE ]
One work: "God bless Alcohol.

Russ McGinley
02-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Only for games that require extreme lengths of repetition and/or lack of actual thinking.

daryn
02-23-2005, 07:05 AM
i still don't get it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

what's the point? to view the completion screen with your eyes?

AngryCola
02-23-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i still don't get it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

what's the point? to view the completion screen with your eyes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your new avatar is all squished and distorted.
Surely we can find you a better picture of Fry than that.

Oh, and I don't get it either.

Russ McGinley
02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
The point: I had an itch to scratch thanks to this thread, but I don't feel like spending 10 hours on it.

Brainwalter
02-23-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, is it wierd that I remember how many EP you get for beating a Werewolf? I swear it's been at least 6 years since I've played the game. I don't, however, remember the name of that town in the screen shot - the one protected by the Gollum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gollum is from Lord of the Rings. In Dragon Warrior, a Golem protects the castle city of Cantlin. And running from that werewolf would be ridiculous. You didn't notice the almost 200 hit points Tim has? The "risk of dying" is 0.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's my play here?

http://www.loogslair.com/vgame/number16.jpg

I like attack. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh [censored]! I didn't realize this game was what we were talking about. I completely forgot this game, but it's absolutely incredibly awesome. I have to get the ROM now.

IsaacW
02-23-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://home.comcast.net/~rodassi/dragonwarrior.jpg

Itch. Scratched.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh
well played on all streets

7ontheline
02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I effing loved this game. I remember wandering around those dark little dungeons running out of HP and being terrified that someone was about to jump me.

Wasn't the best way to make money to fight the Iron slimes? They only had like 4 HP - of course you could never hit them and you only did 1 dmg at a time. . .maybe I don't remember correctly. . .

Brainwalter
02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Fighting metal slimes was great for experience. They only had 4 hp but it was hard to do damage. Once you killed one they were over 100 EP which was a lot. They were only worth 3 or 4 gold though. Pretty hard to find them as well.

The Dude
02-23-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. And running from that werewolf would be ridiculous. You didn't notice the almost 200 hit points Tim has? The "risk of dying" is 0.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're retarded.

siccjay
02-23-2005, 07:01 PM
GREAT GREAT GAME. Dragon Warrior II rocked. They had a betting arena where monsters would fight. The poison toad always goes off at like 20-1 and is a great pick.