PDA

View Full Version : NYC Players....talk about publicity....

MercTec
02-22-2005, 11:48 AM
From this morning's Daily News:

Macaulay Culkin and Hank Azaria have both appeared on Bravo's "Celebrity Poker Showdown," but apparently they prefer a lower-profile venue.

Very low-profile.

Lowdown hears that Culkin, 24, and Azaria, 40, showed up together the other night at a secret poker game on the upper West Side and tried their luck at the $20 ante table.

"They were there for at least an hour and a half. I didn't see them win at all," observed a Lowdown spy who attends regularly.

Apparently the ritzy gambling lounge, which sits above an Off-Track Betting shop in the W. 70s and accommodates about 100 players, is well-known to local wealthy business types.

But that doesn't necessarily make it legal: Because the owners take a percentage of every table's "rake," it likely constitutes a felony.

"The law says that if there is a house, someone making a profit, that is not the same as four or five people getting together and playing a friendly game," explained Manhattan district attorney spokeswoman Barbara Thompson. "Promoting gambling in the first degree is when you engage in bookmaking and receive bets totaling $5,000 or more. That's an E felony, which is up to four years in prison."

Azaria's PR rep confirmed he attended the game, but declined further comment. A publicist for Culkin didn't reach the actor by deadline.

turnipmonster
02-22-2005, 12:19 PM
wow, that sucks.

fryKing
02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
reminds me of the time that A-Rod showed up "somewhere" (with pregnant wife, no less) to play some 10-20. Never saw that one in the paper, though.

MercTec
02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the ritzy gambling lounge, which sits above an Off-Track Betting shop in the W. 70s and accommodates about 100 players, is well-known to local wealthy business types.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this line is what makes this a bad blurb. It is wrong in so many ways. First of all, a drunken one-eyed monkey can now figure out where it is, secondly, "ritzy" is being quite a bit generous, and i don't remember seeing many "local wealthy business types" last time I was there.

I have seen Hank there before though...and he's a cool guy. But sitting next to the Home Alone kid who may or may not have been touched in an unpure place by Michael Jackson.....now thats just wrong.

Evan
02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
This feels like something that should've been in the Post.

Luv2DriveTT
02-24-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reminds me of the time that A-Rod showed up "somewhere" (with pregnant wife, no less) to play some 10-20. Never saw that one in the paper, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, then you missed it. It was either in the NY Post or the Daily News gosip column, I forget which.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

slickpoppa
02-24-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's call her "Lisa S." No, wait, that's too obvious. Let's call her "L. Simpson."