PDA

View Full Version : Suited and o/s broadways UTG (You Play Too Tight addendum)

LinusKS
02-22-2005, 11:47 AM
I play too tight - apparently.

But when it comes to adding more hands, I'm not sure exactly where to go.

If there's any single category that could improve my VPIP, though, it has to be limping early with second-best hands -

KQo, KJs, KJo, QJs, QJo, ATs, ATo, QTs, QTo, JTs, JTo.

Which of these hands should I be limping with - say, in 3/6 Party, full?

Thanks.

Malificent
02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm a 2/4 guy, but I will limp with the suited broadways. The offsuit stuff can hit the trash. Strangely, I raise with KQo though - not sure whether that is optimal.

LinusKS
02-22-2005, 12:35 PM
My rule of thumb is to raise or fold from EP. The only hands I routinely limp with from UTG are medium pairs.

If I should be limping early with a lot of hands, that would be a huge change in my game.

Edit: It sounds like you're saying I should be limping with KJs, KTs, QJs, QTs, & JTs, yes?

CORed
02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm not a poker tracker user, so I have no idea what my VPIP is, but here is how I play the hands you listed in EP. I play Party 15/30, so some adjustment may be necessary at 3/6. The open raises with the offsuit hands might not be good if they fail to thin the field, so some of those might change to limps or folds. OTOH, if you're getting lots of cold callers with EP raises, you might want to raise hands like JTs, QJs, and QTs. I haven't played Party 3/6 since early last year, so I'm not sure what the conditions are like now.

KQo: I usually raise this. If I get rereaised, then I need to hit the flop hard to continue. EV-wise, I believe it's pretty close between raising and limping, but raising helps get action on other EP raises. I play AJo about the same.
KJs: Raise.
KJo: Fold. I like KJo as an open raise or an isolation raise against one limper in mid or late position, but I don't play it early.
QJs: Limp, occasionally raise.
QJo: fold.
ATs: Raise.
ATo: Fold. Open raise or raise one limper mid and late postion
QTs: Limp, fold if preflop play is agressive.
QTo: Fold
JTs: Limp, fold if preflop play is agressive.
JTo: Fold anywhere but button or cutoff. Open raise or limp behind limpers there.

Smaller ofsuit broadways are just not playable in EP, IMO.

Remember to look at you position relative to the button, not the BB. If the table is short-handed, or people are sitting out, it's essentially the same as if you were in a later position and it was folded to you. You can play more hands.

LinusKS
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks.

Raising KQo and KJs consistently would be a change for me - I don't never do it, but it's not my usual play.

Limping with QJs and JTs would be easy to incorporate. (I hate throwing away those hands.)

I'm not happy about ATs, though. My concern is I'll often be outkicked when I'm called or raised, and I'm worried the few times I make my flush won't pay for all the times I lose to AK-AJ. Plus, a UTG raise will generally dramatically narrow the field, so any flush value will be limited.

Any thoughts about this?

FWIW, in my experience, low-limit Party games have a mix of players, a few fish, a few LAGs, maybe a rock or two, and one or two other TAGs.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a poker tracker user, so I have no idea what my VPIP is, but here is how I play the hands you listed in EP. I play Party 15/30, so some adjustment may be necessary at 3/6. The open raises with the offsuit hands might not be good if they fail to thin the field, so some of those might change to limps or folds. OTOH, if you're getting lots of cold callers with EP raises, you might want to raise hands like JTs, QJs, and QTs. I haven't played Party 3/6 since early last year, so I'm not sure what the conditions are like now.

KQo: I usually raise this. If I get rereaised, then I need to hit the flop hard to continue. EV-wise, I believe it's pretty close between raising and limping, but raising helps get action on other EP raises. I play AJo about the same.
KJs: Raise.
KJo: Fold. I like KJo as an open raise or an isolation raise against one limper in mid or late position, but I don't play it early.
QJs: Limp, occasionally raise.
QJo: fold.
ATs: Raise.
ATo: Fold. Open raise or raise one limper mid and late postion
QTs: Limp, fold if preflop play is agressive.
QTo: Fold
JTs: Limp, fold if preflop play is agressive.
JTo: Fold anywhere but button or cutoff. Open raise or limp behind limpers there.

Smaller ofsuit broadways are just not playable in EP, IMO.

Remember to look at you position relative to the button, not the BB. If the table is short-handed, or people are sitting out, it's essentially the same as if you were in a later position and it was folded to you. You can play more hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hermlord
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
CORed's advice looks pretty good at 3/6 too. Notice how you're limping only with medium-strength suited connectors -- almost always behind pf, but they play very well multiway. Add in some medium pocket pairs, and these are about the only hands you should limp with UTG.