PDA

View Full Version : play back w AQ?

schwza
02-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t16704)
SB (t24950)
Hero (t13408)
UTG (t27776)
MP1 (t20324)
MP2 (t16462)
CO (t33477)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t4400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??

CO had been playing fairly aggressively, but he wasn't a manaic.

Sam T.
02-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Hell, unless it's his first LP raise of the tournament, I'll play back with worse hands than this. If he's any good at all, he's raising with a whole lot of hands that he'll fold here. I'd ask him nicely if he wants to lose his status as the big stack...with a push.

Bernas
02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, unless it's his first LP raise of the tournament, I'll play back with worse hands than this. If he's any good at all, he's raising with a whole lot of hands that he'll fold here. I'd ask him nicely if he wants to lose his status as the big stack...with a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that would work. At least not against me if I was the Big stack. The advertisement value alone is worth the extra 9k to call the BB's push.

Sam T.
02-22-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that would work. At least not against me if I was the Big stack. The advertisement value alone is worth the extra 9k to call the BB's push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you lay down AQ to a LP raise here? Or do you just play it differently?

And are you are going to give up half your stack as an advertisement? Man, I must be waaay too tight.

Soul Daddy
02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I play back almost every time here. Though it seems recently I've been wrong when I put him on a steal and he turns over KK. Stop and go?

bmxreed36
02-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I would push that every time in this situation. If it was a steal with crap and he folds, you win the 7400 in the middle. If he calls and you double up, you're in first or second now. You're the short stack right now anyway and with no one else to worry about, I wouldn't be mad at myself for goin out with AQ here.

EverettKings
02-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Is this the final table?

AQ is far too strong of a hand to lay down here, and although a stop and go might work, I much prefer just shoving preflop (no sense raising less than all in). I would say you have the best hand 80% of the time (he would raise with lots of crap here, including hands you dominate and any 2 rags).

You're the short stack and with 7 players these blinds are gonna be coming fast, so AQ is more than enough to take your stand. I personally would be wanting the call, hoping a hand like A9s or KQ would double me through. The big bucks are in the top few spots, and I'm playing for #1, not to sneak into 6th.

Good luck

-Kings

woodguy
02-22-2005, 12:51 PM
If I'm the CO I'm opening with pretty well any two.

The button is short, so he needs a hand to play.
The SB is healthy, but out of position, so its not likely he'd flat call and I can lay down easily if played back at.
The BB is short and needs a hand to get involved.

A big green light for a raise if I'm the CO.

Your hand is too strong for a stop and go, there is a good chance you are ahead.

Push.

Regards,
Woodguy

schwza
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
sorry for lack of clarity - there were 21 left at this point.

i pushed and he folded. i thought it was fairly clear at the time but just wanted to make sure.

Bernas
02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you lay down AQ to a LP raise here? Or do you just play it differently?

And are you are going to give up half your stack as an advertisement? Man, I must be waaay too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I would play it differently or not. I might consider a flat call, and push on the flop or I might just push like you would preflop.

The point I was making is that you are giving yourself credit for more folding equity than I think you have here.

He stated that the raiser was aggressive but not a Maniac. Chances are he has a decent hand. Not necessarily a great hand. But if I were him I would call a push from the button. Reasons Below.

1. Advertisement Value. Let's the table know that I am willing to protect my raises and that you should be leary of pushing back at me.

2. I don't give the BB credit for a premium hand here. I think he pushes to protect with ok cards %75 of the time and he has premium cards %25 of the time.

3. The pot is laying you more than 2-1. Because of the wide range of holdings he may have I think I would call with any decent hand.

Sam T.
02-22-2005, 01:21 PM
As I see it, the problem here with a Stop &amp; Go is that you are probably ahead, and do not want to see a flop. Since I'd put the villain here on any two cards, it's tough to know for sure that a flop is friendly.

In short, he's laying down 92o if I push now. And he's laying it down if I push an ace high flop. But if I push a 9xx flop, I'm in deep trouble.

Soul Daddy
02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I agree a push is best, especially knowing what I'm raising in CO with in this spot.
What would you consider the ideal situation for a stop n go?

Sam T.
02-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Since my tourneys are populated more with weak players than anything else, I'll do it under almost any circumstances as a means for blind defense, but only if I think I'm behind pre-flop. If I think I'm ahead or in a race, I'll take the folding equity and push.

I hear this kind of play is a bit fishy in higher tournaments, but it's great for the $10 crowd. Even if the raiser has AK, he's going to be hard pressed to call a bet with a Qxx flop. (It has the potential for getting a bit expesive if you're on Q3, he's on AA, but in that case, I river another 3.)

OhBoy!
02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
If you can eliminate AA, KK, QQ, AK, then I'd say push. However, you describe your opponent as being aggressive but not a maniac, so I'd be careful. You can't just call and folding seems weak so yea, go ahead and push and hope you're ahead or flipping a coin.

schwza
02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can eliminate AA, KK, QQ, AK, then I'd say push.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would i be able to eliminate those hands? i think the odds are about 99% that he'd raise AK.

JohnG
02-22-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t16704)
SB (t24950)
Hero (t13408)
UTG (t27776)
MP1 (t20324)
MP2 (t16462)
CO (t33477)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t4400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??

CO had been playing fairly aggressively, but he wasn't a manaic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally an allin re-raise. Even if they don't fold, a lot of the time when called, you will have the best hand or be a flip.

JohnG
02-22-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since my tourneys are populated more with weak players than anything else, I'll do it under almost any circumstances as a means for blind defense, but only if I think I'm behind pre-flop. If I think I'm ahead or in a race, I'll take the folding equity and push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the stop and go is more related to when you think you are likely ahead but do not have a great hand, and an allin re-raise preflop would be less than pot sized. Say A9 or 44 as an example.

OhBoy!
02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would i be able to eliminate those hands? i think the odds are about 99% that he'd raise AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's how you feel, why would you even consider moving in w/ your AQ?

willie
02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he's saying that he would raise ak, which is obvious.

that being said i still push, his raise is a minraise and i'm gettin to the middle here.

If that's how you feel, why would you even consider moving in w/ your AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

MLG
02-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Schwaza is saying that if the button had AK he would certainly raise. However, schwaza believes, and rightly so, that the button would raise with many hands, not just AK. Consequently while sometimes you will be unlucky and the raiser will have AK, AA, KK, QQ many many more times he will have an inferior holding that AQ is in good shape against.

OhBoy!
02-23-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Schwaza is saying that if the button had AK he would certainly raise. However, schwaza believes, and rightly so, that the button would raise with many hands, not just AK. Consequently while sometimes you will be unlucky and the raiser will have AK, AA, KK, QQ many many more times he will have an inferior holding that AQ is in good shape against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, first of all the CO raises. Entirely different since the button has yet to act.

Next thing, I'm simply stating if you 'feel' your opponent doesn't have you dominated, you should push. Either way, AQ in itself at this late in the tourney w/ your chip position, table flow, etc. simply calls for an all-in.

remen
02-24-2005, 12:28 AM
This is an easy push in my opinion. AQ is far ahead of the range of hands a fairly aggressive CO would open raise with. You are pretty short stacked but you still have fold equity if the original raiser opened with complete junk. You also dominate many weaker aces that he may call your push with. Unless I had a very specific read that the CO's small preflop raise meant strength I push here every time without hesitation.

schwza
02-24-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, that's exactly what i meant.

Charlie
02-24-2005, 02:44 AM
I would push, no question about it. Big stacks raise alot with marginal hands, just trying to steal the blinds.