PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded four pair [hand history]

AKQJ10
02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've sought advice back on "Other Poker" (good to see an O8 forum!) but I'd appreciate comments on the following hand. The UTG+1 player made a point to tell me, "your [sic] a moron" after this hand. Although I don't value his opinion at all, I do value this forum's.

$0.25/$0.50 Omaha H/L 8/b - Pacific
(Forgive the manual hand history)

8 players
Hero is cutoff

Hero is dealt Ah 2d 3c Qd
UTG + 1 calls, Hero raises, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, all call
(5 in pot - $2.35, 10 sb)

Rationale: I raised to buy the button or to drive out Ax or Kx d. But knowing that might well fail in this loose game, I was also happy to get more money in with a good hand. FWIW I try to mix up the occasional raise with A2, A3, A2+, or a high hand -- even though few opponents at this level are going to put me on a specific hand.

Flop: Qc 2h 6d
All check to Hero, Hero bets, all except UTG+1 call.
(4 players - $3.30, 6.5 bb)

Rationale: I have the nut low draw and top-and-bottom pair. I want to chase out all the better high draws and the busted A2s

Turn: 3s
SB bets, all call.

(4 players - $5.20, 10.5 bb)

Rationale: Although my low busted, I have a decent draw with 6 outs to a full house. Also, if SB was betting an A4 made low, I might still have the best high.

River: Ad
SB bets, 2 call, Button folds

(3 players - $6.70, 13.5 bb)

Rationale: Call one bet on the river to see if I've won half the pot. I only need for my top two to win one time in 7 (6:1 odds)

pipes
02-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I probably play this hand the same way. If there is no raise on the turn and river, I call as well.

On the turn, the only person that can have a straight is probably the SB. Your pairs help block sets. Good chance your top two is good.

BradleyT
02-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Standard play. No clue why he would say that? It's not like there were 3 people left and you were ramming and jamming low with no chance for high.

Yads
02-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Fold the turn, you're playing for half of the pot and your draw is weak to say the least.

pipes
02-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Yes, if anything I would fold the turn. I said in my earlier post, that a call was okay. But this is very questionable, I think. My rationale is that the pot is big, and the only person that possibly could have a straight is the SB. Also, I think his 3 pair helps block the possibility of a set.

BradleyT
02-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Plus he's playing against some real monkeys at this level.

Last night I was in the BB I had AQQ9. The flop was AATr and I lost to 257J who hit two running clubs for a straight flush wheel. These players don't think, all they want to do is try and backdoor some crappy non-nut low. Give them the tiniest piece of the board and they hang on for dear life.

But that's what makes this game SO profitable at low limits.