PDA

View Full Version : Revenge --- Do you ever seek it ?

theredpill5
02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
If you saw a guy who took your stack the day before in a game, do you enter that game and seek revenge. This guy hit a 3 outer on me yesterday when I had trip kings with a Queen kicker. He hit his 4 on the turn and got my stack. I now see him in a game. Should I enter?

Caruso329
02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Not for revenge, this will affect your play without you realizing it and you will end up playing poorly.

theredpill5
02-22-2005, 09:58 AM
woops , I guess someone else got his stack first. Hopefully he'll reload.

AncientPC
02-22-2005, 11:42 AM
No, I play poker to win money, not get even.

Now if he's really bad and is spewing chips but just sucked out on me the other day, yes I will sit down again with him.

sourbeaver
02-22-2005, 01:12 PM
I can't say I haven't done it... but it's usually bad, plain bad. When emotions start leaking into your game, that's where it gets ugly.

EDIT : As Ancient pointed out, if he's a bad player, I will sit down at his table. Don't picture it as trying to get "even", but simply as having a bad player in your game who will hopefully pay you off.

TakeMeToTheRiver
02-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Just like everyone says -- you don't do it just for revenge, do it because you know you are a better player than him/her/it and you think you know enough about that villain to beat'em. Be careful though! You need to be playing good poker and not trying to beat him for the sake of beating him -- that leads to many bad bets, bluffs and fancy play.

I notice, however, that the players that give you the bad beats are the ones you remember best. You often watch them more carefully and, accordingly, get a better read on them. There are a couple of online players (and a couple of live players) that have taken my stack, drawing my close attention. I determine to learn their weaknesses and take advantage later. There is certainly a little extra thrill in taking back the money they undeservingly won. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just be patient and wait for the right opportunity. Remember, revenge is a dish best served cold.

Have I contradicted myself here? Ah well.

kurto
02-22-2005, 03:55 PM
3 things:
1) I never thought much about it... why is revenge best served cold? What does that mean, exactly? Do they mean... you wait awhile (let the dish cool off?)?

2) if a player beats you with bad play, the sad thing is its difficult to get poker revenge. Usually, by the time you get a good hand to go against them, they've given the money they've taken from you to someone else.

3) And this is really for TRP-- Be very careful when you're targeting a specific player. What I mean by this (and I've made this mistake) is remember its never just the two of you playing. When a bad maniac raises and you feel you have him beat, don't forget the other players in the hand. I remember trying to make an isolation after a maniac raised and I was called by 1 player after me. I hit my flop (TPTK), reraised the maniac's obligatory flop bet... and was smoothcalled by the 3rd player. I swear I didn't even recognize he was even playing until the river when he put us both all in. Long story short... I beat the maniac but we both lost to the 3rd player. That would never have happened if I wasn't targeting the maniac. Because I was so excited to have my hand to battle the maniac, I put blinders on to everyone else at the table. Revenge (or targeting one player) will make you sloppy.