PDA

View Full Version : Luxor Free Tournaments

weasel
09-08-2002, 04:40 PM
How good is this, if you play 12 hours of stud or 10 hours of hold-em in a four day period you get into a free poker tournament with a nice prize pay off. If your going to play this is the best deal going.

Dynasty
09-08-2002, 06:13 PM
It sounds like a good deal but it's just a financial wash in the long run. The money which funds the freeroll tournaments comes from an additional $1 jackpot drop. It's just like the Stardust's $1 drop and bad beat jackpot or Mandalay Bay's $1 drop and high hand bonuses. Perhaps, you're getting a better deal because your poker skills should influence the outcome of the tournament.

09-08-2002, 10:06 PM
I understand what your saying except that play 12 hours anywhere else and what do they give you, nothing. So basically the other players are funding your freeroll which is ok too. You are still getting a great deal.

Dynasty
09-09-2002, 02:00 AM
No. It's still a wash.

At other locations, you do get something. You get large high hand bonuses at Mandalay Bay. You'll won't hit one once every 12 hours, but when you do, you'll often get paid several hundred dollars.

Any system in which the house takes an additional $1 rake and redistibutes it via tournaments, jackpots, high hands, etc. should be a losing proposition at worst and a break-even one at best.

09-09-2002, 02:43 AM
Well I don't consider it a wash as the better players don't play as many hands as the bad players, therefore the bad players are funding a larger amount of the money that the house takes. So in low limit poker you can still play very few hands and come out on top, thus by playing very few hands your contribution is small compared to what the payout is for the freeroll tournaments. Plus as you say the chance of hitting the high hands or jackpots are much higher then getting a guarantee of a free tournament with a nice prize fund.

09-09-2002, 10:03 PM
I disagree, Dynasty. I have played in many of these Luxor tournies and have calculated that EV is somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 for the tourney event. I do not win 7 hands an hour, therefore qualifying is positive EV, not a wash.