02-22-2005, 05:50 AM
First hand of Party 10+1
folded to me in CO - I have AK - raise to 50
called by button
BB raises to 400
I folded - was this the right move?

imported_bingobazza
02-22-2005, 06:08 AM
My experience isnt at $10 tables, so i could be way off here. You have no idea what the button has, but the BBs bet looks like it doesnt like a call when out of position on the flop, Im putting him on QQ, JJ or maybe 1010, and hes trying to win the pot right now, rather than be outflopped, so he probably has you on 2 overcards...so if you call, your likely in a coinflip with slightly the worst of it, assuming that the button folds, cos if he doesnt, hes likely to go over the top with a smooth called big pair and then your in real trouble if you call the 400. I dont like calling here if i think im up against this type of hand, its either all in or fold. Its the first hand, so I fold here and wait for a better spot.

Bingo

SuitedSixes
02-22-2005, 06:11 AM
On the first hand, that could be anything, but I think you did the right thing.

Michael C.
02-22-2005, 07:45 AM
In a $109, I'd fold here and wait for a better spot, unless I had notes on the raiser. But in a $10, maybe you push? Aren't there a lot of $10 players who will re-raise with AQ or AJ or even worse? So most likely you're in no worse than a coin-flip, but could easily have him dominated. Again, though, that's based on limited info at that level...

lorinda
02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Aren't there a lot of $10 players who will re-raise with AQ or AJ or even worse?

Yes.... but those same players will call your KK all-in with QTo later, so folding and waiting applies here too.

Lori

SuitedSixes
02-22-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't there a lot of $10 players who will re-raise with AQ or AJ or even worse?

Yes.... but those same players will call your KK all-in with QTo later, so folding and waiting applies here too.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is early level Party low buy-in SNG strategy in one easy sentence.

Michael C.
02-22-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a good point, but if I really thought I was an 8-5 favorite here or something like that, I'd call. Because even against bad players, doubling up gets you ITM sooo much more. And since it's the first hand, if you lose you just start another one. So I don't know how much of a favorite AK would be vs. $10 players, but I think in most cases if you're getting huge odds in the first hand, take it. If it were a tournament where you couldn't re-enter, than you should fold for sure. But what odds would you pass on knowing you're a heavy favorite? And a lot of SNG's I never get KK or AA...