PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance at a Single Table Tournament book??

morgan180
02-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Is there any plans or chance at a single table tournament book discussing the nuances of STTs shallow stacks/severe blinds, pushing/calling all-in strategy, etc??

I could see a pretty solid book put together on all of the concepts that apply along with a ton of sample hands.

It could also cover:
satellites vs. standard tables (1st/2nd paid vs. 1/2/3)
multi-tabling
early level play
folding equity
blind stealing

all sorts of stuff...

i know that HoHE covers some satellite stuff but only touches on it briefly (except for some solid hand examples from one table satellites)

anyone??

pastabatman
02-22-2005, 03:49 AM
I think the upcoming 'Getting Started with Hold Em' will touch on SNGs, but I can't imagine it will have much depth. I think I read over at the 1-table tourney forum that Aleo is considering writing a dedicated SNG book.

grapes
02-22-2005, 04:47 AM
Single table tournaments don't require very much change in strategy when the satellite pays two places like you mention, but there are some depending on the payout structure. A satellite that pays two seats, where first and second get the same prize, there will be some differences in borderline plays once you get short-handed (4 or less probably) from an STT with 3 places paid.
Both single table tournies and satellites are usually so fast though that you don't have the luxury of implementing big strategy adjustments.

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players has some decent information about adjusting to the prize structrure.

You may also want to look for "Poker Tournament Strategies" from 2+2, with information on various tournament formats, payout structure, rebuy/addon strategy, etc. Also possibly see McEvoy's "Tournament Poker".

I think the second volume of Harrington on Hold'em will have a lot more information that would apply to STTs, since after the first half hour or so an STT isn't much different than a final table in a bigger tournament. Places 4 5 6 etc. will get paid in the bigger tournaments, but the payout structure is usually so heavily weighted toward the top two or three spots that it's usually correct to play for those and not worry about the difference between 5th place and 6th place.

BluffTHIS!
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Link to Gigabets Book Offer (actually only 2 pages): (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1676374 &Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&M ain=1670942&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=18623&d aterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldert ype=&bodyprev=#Post1676374)