PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about on the fly three betting.

Kaz The Original
02-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Let's say I've been able to roughly ascertain my opponents range of open raising hands from a certain opinion (or more likely, judging from the calibre of my opponents, from any position). How do I then adjust to three bet? I understand the general principle the looser they are, the more I three bet, but how do I draw up answers on the fly? This is assuming folded to them, they raise, folded to me.

Do callers in either place make you loose or tighten up?

A few examples :

Villian (ROH (Range of Hands)A10+K10+QJ+77+)) open raises.
I have A10?
I have KQ?
I have 99?

Assuming I can OUTPLAY them postflop?
Assuming I play as well as them postflop?

Solid Player (AJ+, KQ, 1010)
I have AQ
Assuming he (gasp!) players better than me postflop?

Maniac : (Any ace, any king, half the queens, any pocket pair, any two face)
I have JQ?
I have K9?
I have 88?

I understand this is a bit of a tough question, maybe unanswerable. What are the worst hands you three bet against these people? Thank you.

Kaz The Original
02-22-2005, 11:00 AM
bump?

Is this unanswerable?

gonores
02-22-2005, 11:17 AM
If you *need* definite answers, just pokerstove it. Otherwise, my mantra is "when in doubt, raise."

JasonP530
02-23-2005, 01:07 AM
I think if the range of hands against the villian is usually in late position. I like 99 and KQ much better than AT, because if you 3 bet AT, you basically have what you represent. If an A comes, they can fold, if not they will call you down. If its getting to late position, I would 3bet all of these hands.

Against the solid player, you should fold AQ, especially if he plays better than you do postflop. He will be able to extract more from you than you from him, even if you have position.

Against the maniac, I would definately 3 bet 88, and consider it with the other two. With position against a maniac, you should do well, even if he takes ace high to showdown a lot. Just be careful of trying to fire multiple street bluffs with Q and K high.

If the callers play poorly, you should loosen up. This will give you a better price(both pre and post flop) on the hands you play in case you are behind. For example, if a loose/bad player raises on the button, you may want to call with JT and such and let the bad BB in. Youre not going to continue after the flop without a made hand, and someone will pay you off there. It also keeps the button in line, as there is one other person to try to run over after the flop.

Kaz The Original
02-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Ok, a few things. I understand the general concepts applied here. I like the bit about liking KQ more than AT because fo what you represent, this is good.

What I am trying to get is a way to figure this out... some sort of formulaish type answer. This is his lowest range of hands, he raises every higher hand, where do I start tree betting. Something like

J10 = lowest hand, J10+5 = K8 as threebetting.

Does this make sense to anyone? Essentially, how much higher than his lowest possible holding do I have to be until I three bet? It should be a math problem, of sorts.