PDA

View Full Version : How in the world... (no real content)

Gallopin Gael
02-22-2005, 01:46 AM
...is this guy winning?!?!?!

From a session I played at stars (using the new PT for Omaha)

93.33%/8%/65/75

He went from the ~40 bucks to over 80 in almost an hour and a half at a .5/1 talbe.

I know the short answer is luck, but my lord. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Niediam
02-22-2005, 05:31 AM
The exact same reason somebody who plays at an expert level can play for a week and not be up any money...

beset7
02-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I played in a plo (I know, wrong forum, but you get the point) game last night where a guy with a 98% vpip over 300 hands busted the table like 5 times over and was sitting with god knows how many buy-ins in front of him. Just remember: this is what keeps the fish playing Omaha, limit 8b or otherwise. They have amazing sessions like this that permanently imprint themselves onto their brain and keep them going during the next few months during which they bleed away their bankrolls playing too many hands and taking them too far.

Also, in Hellmuth's god-awful book [yes, i read the omaha sections in the bookstore. couldn't help it], he has a little squib about Ted Forrest playing every single omaha8 hand he was delt for entire year, unless it contained trips, and still showing a profit. So who the hell knows.

Gallopin Gael
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Now that you mention it, I remember reading that as well.

I just want to know what a hand has to look like for these guys to not want to play it.

djr
02-22-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to know what a hand has to look like for these guys to not want to play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably 6666

sammy_g
02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably 6666

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding YOU'VE GOT QUADS! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="white">Yes, I'm joking. I did see a player drive the betting with nothing but three queens in his hand last night, though.</font>

FeliciaLee
02-22-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he has a little squib about Ted Forrest playing every single omaha8 hand he was delt for entire year, unless it contained trips, and still showing a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can believe that. Just like I believe the legend about Ted playing a jack in Razz and showing a profit.

Ted is a very tight player, except when he plays NLHE and in some other situations where he knows it is correct to mix it up. A couple of weeks ago we were discussing how O8 tourneys benefit the rocks like us. This was the night before the O8 tourney at Commerce, but both of us busted out fairly quickly, due to no chips, 40 minute levels, and dealers who were so new they could only deal about 15 hands per hour, if that. It's just a bad situation for a tight player!

Anyway, Ted and I talked about being able to win by peddling the nuts in O8. So I can believe he would play every hand, yet show a profit, because he would be so tight and selective POST flop, whereas he opponents would not play well post flop.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

Bremen
02-22-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because he would be so tight and selective POST flop, whereas he opponents would not play well post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
So thats how I'm winning 35BB/100 while having a VPIP of 40% over 250 hands!! And here I thought I was just running good :0) Turns out I'm just a better post flop player! (sadly given I only read Zee's book once long ago and never really played much Omaha till now, this just may be true... well that and lots of luck). Yes, I realize I need to tighten up.